RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #99
paz

Pusherpilot and lekhuset - take lots of pics and post them so we can see how it goes.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
Next question. Does the Samsung need a drain tube?
Ron
No, there is a evaporation cup mounted near the heat exchanger for the defrost water to drip into. The heat from the exchanger and the air from the fan take care of the water.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
Gettin ready to lower the floor in the MH to proper height for the Samsung RF197. The height with hinges is listed as 69 3/4 in. How much extra overhead should I leave for clearance etc? I don't have the furnace under the refer because I have AquaHot so I can go all the way to the floor but keeping the little drawer down there would be nice. I also need to build the platform to place it on to roll it in and out. I'm planning on using a movers dolly as the base and building on top of it. Anybody done that? Pulled the copper propane line and will now reroute the black pipe propane line back to the lower compartment and cap it. Gonna use it for the BBQ later. I've go a ton of propane and with only the stovetop using it I'll trade th coach in before I use it all!!
Ron
An inch or two gap will help the air flow. Since you don't have the furnace I would scrap the drawer and sit the Samsung on the floor.

Bob
Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
An inch or two gap will help the air flow. Since you don't have the furnace I would scrap the drawer and sit the Samsung on the floor.

Bob
The wiring under the refer floor won't stretch around behind the refer if I remove the drawer and set it on the floor. I still need the space to run the wiring. I'll take a pix tomorrow.

This cabinet is built like a safe!! Everything is tacked together with finishing nails and glued and screwed. I've pulled about 50 screws out so far and breaking the glue and pulling the nails is really tedious. I had to use a bottle jack to break the glue in some places. Hope I can get it back together as solidly as it was to begin with. I've got a couple of weeks to get it right before the refer gets here.
Ron
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Job well done bob, notcold went out today rf197 in soon ,thanks for all your help
DRBARBER001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #104

Bob, thanks very much for the post on your install. Our Nocold started going downhill a few weeks ago, so decided to go the residential route with a Samsung rf197....surprise, surprise, Samsung has discontinued the model rf197, however there are still a few in their warehouse. NONE of the big box stores would try and order one for me, as they kept saying it was discontinued and there were none, but persistence paid off and we have one setting in our shop, waiting for the time to install it.

Has anyone installed on in a 2005 HR or Diplomat 40PRQ model coach? I know the furnace is under there, but according to all the measurements I have made, there is room to drop the floor and still maintain the 1" clearance Atwood requires for the furnace.

Has anyone had any work of this type done in the San Antonio Texas area? I have talked to Iron Horse RV and the owner says he has done these swaps, was a Monaco dealer and is familiar with the Monaco product.

Thanks again Bob for taking the time to show us what a good job looks like.
The Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #105
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Texan.......My coach is similar to yours with the furnace under the refer. I did the math several times and came up with my own method of install. I still haven't purchased one yet, but here is my thinking.

Remove the old refer and floor. Measure the width of the wheel pattern on the bottom of the new refer and make a pair of tracks that are at the same height as the heater top. The tracks wouldbe connected to a frame work that actually supports the refer. The new refer would slide in on the tracks and could be secured to the tracks with a bracket front and rear. Seal the rest of the floor area (same height as the top of the heater) with sheet metal or aluminum plate. This will seal the refer from the heater. The Samsung has 1" of air space under it with the wheels on.

This configuration gave just enough room at the top for the doors to open and clear any lights.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Texan.......My coach is similar to yours with the furnace under the refer. I did the math several times and came up with my own method of install. I still haven't purchased one yet, but here is my thinking.

Remove the old refer and floor. Measure the width of the wheel pattern on the bottom of the new refer and make a pair of tracks that are at the same height as the heater top. The tracks wouldbe connected to a frame work that actually supports the refer. The new refer would slide in on the tracks and could be secured to the tracks with a bracket front and rear. Seal the rest of the floor area (same height as the top of the heater) with sheet metal or aluminum plate. This will seal the refer from the heater. The Samsung has 1" of air space under it with the wheels on.

This configuration gave just enough room at the top for the doors to open and clear any lights.
Be aware, as I recall the wheels are different track widths.
Ron
Old 04-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #107
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ron.....They are, but not by that much.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #108

Monaco Owners Club
On Monacoers there was a discussion about the RF197 being discontinued and becoming almost impossible to find. I have no first hand experience as I installed mine last summer.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #109

Smile

Bob: I think you did the BEST job of anybody so far explaining how to replace the piss poor gas job. Thank you very much. We have already changed ours out. We had a 1200 that ran on 110v only. our coach was all electric from the factory. Why the hell they did not put a residential in I will never know. But it has one now. We chose the 2 vertical doors with ice maker and water in the door. Love it..........Thanks again.....
Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #110

What did you all do about adding extra batteries? Is a separate converter needed?

If the Samsung is not available what can one use?

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If the 197 is not available check the dimensions on an rf217. Lowes sent is one by mistake when we ordered ours. It is a little bigger but we got it to fit and gained 2 cubic feet. It works fine on the 2000W modified sine wave inverter with 3 12V batteries. We don't run it long without the engine running though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #112

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Texan View Post
Bob, thanks very much for the post on your install. Our Nocold started going downhill a few weeks ago, so decided to go the residential route with a Samsung rf197....surprise, surprise, Samsung has discontinued the model rf197, however there are still a few in their warehouse. NONE of the big box stores would try and order one for me, as they kept saying it was discontinued and there were none, but persistence paid off and we have one setting in our shop, waiting for the time to install it.

Has anyone installed on in a 2005 HR or Diplomat 40PRQ model coach? I know the furnace is under there, but according to all the measurements I have made, there is room to drop the floor and still maintain the 1" clearance Atwood requires for the furnace.

Has anyone had any work of this type done in the San Antonio Texas area? I have talked to Iron Horse RV and the owner says he has done these swaps, was a Monaco dealer and is familiar with the Monaco product.

Thanks again Bob for taking the time to show us what a good job looks like.
Bob,

Thanks for the compliment on my install and write up. That is what these site are about, passing along information to help each other out. Sure glad you got your RF197. I have been reading that they have discontinued that model. How sad!

Good luck,

Bob