Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #211

Grand Design Owners Club
That's exactly correct. We seldom use the zone 2 furnace and would prefer to put the fridge on the floor and use a small electric heater in the bedroom if needed.

Jeepsrule
Diplomat 40PDQ
Jeep Liberty toad
Fulltimer
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 06:19 AM   #212

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
@zmotorsports, You missed the Monaco International Rally this past summer in WI. A few attendees recognized Bob as the one who 'wrote the book' on installing RF197s in Monacos. He is quite the celebrity.
I blush Rick!

We are signed up for the FMCA GEAR rally in Asheville next month. Maybe you and Marcella can make that on your way back to Texas?

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 AM   #213

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrule View Post
That's exactly correct. We seldom use the zone 2 furnace and would prefer to put the fridge on the floor and use a small electric heater in the bedroom if needed.

Jeepsrule
Diplomat 40PDQ
Jeep Liberty toad
Fulltimer
I guess even a blind hog like me can find an acorn now and then! Hope you didn't mind me answering the question for you.

Bob
Old 09-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #214

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by routemaster View Post
Hey guys.
I want to go and buy a inverter for my 197 what one should I buy? I would like to dedicate it just for the fridge.
Thanks Den.

I followed Dutch Star Don's lead. Installed the MM612 Magnum dedicated inverter for the RF197. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1441854776.949328.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  104.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:54 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_drago View Post
This is extremely insightful reading. This "old" post is still relevant today, as the RF18 is the way to go now and most of us have older coaches. I'm in the process of changing my 1200 out for a Samsung RF18 as I too have the stock Magnum 2000W MSW inverter. I do dry camp (boondock) as much as I stay at a campground, but I don't mind running my ONAN.

My 2005 Knight has the furnace below the norcold. Measure twice, Cut once.
Did you lower the floor to make the RF18 fit in the space above the furnace or does your model have the furnace under the Norcold? I have an '05 Diplomat and I'm thinking the RF18 will fit if I lower the floor 3". That will leave 2 inches above the furnace.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #216

Monaco Owners Club
I cut 2 1/2" from the top trim piece, and lowered the floor 2 1/2". I ended up making a new floor out of red oak plywood from Home Depot.

Make sure you have a long square drive bit for your drill/driver before you start. It will save a lot of time.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I cut 2 1/2" from the top trim piece, and lowered the floor 2 1/2". I ended up making a new floor out of red oak plywood from Home Depot.

Make sure you have a long square drive bit for your drill/driver before you start. It will save a lot of time.
Vito, thanks for the quick response! I had the pleasure of meeting Bob Nodine in Crossville TN last week. He was so informative and helpful with a couple issues on our Diplomat. He invited us over and we saw the Samsung RF197 he installed in his '06 Diplomat back in '11. He's like the first to document and get the ball rolling on the Samsung swap in the Monaco's. His ceiling is 3" higher than ours and he cautioned us about the overall height available after removing the Norcold. My ceiling is 80" high. I think we have room to do the RF18 install but I'm going to remove the top trim piece and get an exact measurement one more time before I pull the plug! I'd like to keep the furnace if possible rather than going with another brand of fridge. Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #218

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipS View Post
Vito, thanks for the quick response! I had the pleasure of meeting Bob Nodine in Crossville TN last week. He was so informative and helpful with a couple issues on our Diplomat. He invited us over and we saw the Samsung RF197 he installed in his '06 Diplomat back in '11. He's like the first to document and get the ball rolling on the Samsung swap in the Monaco's. His ceiling is 3" higher than ours and he cautioned us about the overall height available after removing the Norcold. My ceiling is 80" high. I think we have room to do the RF18 install but I'm going to remove the top trim piece and get an exact measurement one more time before I pull the plug! I'd like to keep the furnace if possible rather than going with another brand of fridge. Thanks again.
Tip,

I was great to meet you and Karen and hope to see you again. You should be able to purchase the long #2 square drive at Lowe's. Just ask where the Kreg Tool supplies are or go here and order online:
https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-D6X2-6-I...uare+drive+bit

Bob
Old 09-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Tip,

I was great to meet you and Karen and hope to see you again. You should be able to purchase the long #2 square drive at Lowe's. Just ask where the Kreg Tool supplies are or go here and order online:
https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-D6X2-6-I...uare+drive+bit

Bob
Thanks Bob!
I talked with Jim Terry, owner of Tri-state Truck & RV in Chattanooga yesterday and he is well recommended and able to do some of the things I'm not able to do at this time. I'm taking the coach in next week so he can check the # on the Sheppard box and get with Weller Truck for a TRW # for us. Will Weller know, with the info from my coach, what box will work..which Pittman arm goes with that? Jim and his men have lots of experience with all shapes and sizes of trucks, buses and coaches, and the facilities there to do the work. Regarding the Pittman arm, will Weller know what part works with our coach or will Jim have to provide some measurements? Is there a Weller Truck branch up north that's been dealing with the MONACO swap out specifically that knows those parts? Maybe I should have pm'd you with this.... I'm still trying to learn the "system! :/
Old 09-27-2017, 04:28 AM   #220

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipS View Post
Thanks Bob!
I talked with Jim Terry, owner of Tri-state Truck & RV in Chattanooga yesterday and he is well recommended and able to do some of the things I'm not able to do at this time. I'm taking the coach in next week so he can check the # on the Sheppard box and get with Weller Truck for a TRW # for us. Will Weller know, with the info from my coach, what box will work..which Pittman arm goes with that? Jim and his men have lots of experience with all shapes and sizes of trucks, buses and coaches, and the facilities there to do the work. Regarding the Pittman arm, will Weller know what part works with our coach or will Jim have to provide some measurements? Is there a Weller Truck branch up north that's been dealing with the MONACO swap out specifically that knows those parts? Maybe I should have pm'd you with this.... I'm still trying to learn the "system! :/
Tip,

Weller will know which Pitman arm you need. They have been involved with the Sheppard to TRW swap from the start and know Craig and Van.

Bob