Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
OH, first time Sani-con stops working you'll wish the stinky was still there

BUT, the line from the outlet TO the sani-con was the same 3" in diameter, many replace damaged hoses WITH part of a stinky....

now, the outlet from the sani-con to the dump is a 1.5" or so hose, but I removed the faceplate from the sani-con and pushed the 1.5" hose back up under the sanicon....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
OH, first time Sani-con stops working you'll wish the stinky was still there

BUT, the line from the outlet TO the sani-con was the same 3" in diameter, many replace damaged hoses WITH part of a stinky....

now, the outlet from the sani-con to the dump is a 1.5" or so hose, but I removed the faceplate from the sani-con and pushed the 1.5" hose back up under the sanicon....
Yeah I might regret not carrying it, but they (slinkys) are available pretty much everywhere so I am not too worried about it.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:42 AM   #17

'06 Dynasty, owned since November 1, 2005, lived in over 47% of the nights since new. On second Sani-con hose. Probably time to purchase a third one to be ready when needed. NEVER have used the original 3" hose that is still in the storage tube. Sani-con, 100%! Love it!

The only two negatives I see are: 1) like was mentioned above, it is slow, and 2) I feel I need to be pretty diligent about keeping our black tank "clean". We always finish dumping with a couple or three gallon water pillow, and I use the long wand with the "spinny sprayer" on the end two or three times a year to minimize any buildup.

One thing we do that I want to think is helpful is that we use a strong detergent mix in both tanks a couple of times a year. On the first day of a two or three day run, I will try to scheduled my holding tanks so they are at least a quarter but not more than half full at the start of the trip. I then add half of a large bottle of HE laundry detergent in each of the two tanks. Lots of road "action". Really strong detergent strength. I doubt it cleans the walls thoroughly, but I suspect it removes a lot of oily residue and deposits and surely helps to reduce how much sticks to the sides and bottom going forward until the next time.

Oh one other benefit of the SaniCon is that with the hose stowed and the little cap on the end, you can extend your holding tank time by opening the gray then the black and letting the tanks equalize, a bit, and then closing them again. The gray always fills far faster than the black, so that can easily add a couple or three days to the time between dumping opportunities. I have NEVER had any issues upon removing the little cap after I've done that, so it's not the problem it sounds like it could be.

Cheers, and happy dumping!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I have also found the Sani-Con to be slow but effective. My only complaint is that the black tank does not flush near as well as using the 3" slinky. Repeated rinses still don't seem to flush all the solids well. I found my sensors starting to give false readings, so i did a very thorough cleaning and flush using the 3" hose, and got much more "stuff" out, and that was after getting it as clean as possible with the Sani-Con. Perhaps some kind of detergent would correct that, but to me that speed or rush of dumping with the 3" gets more out. If I'm doing things wrong, please educate me!!
patgreenair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgreenair View Post
I have also found the Sani-Con to be slow but effective. My only complaint is that the black tank does not flush near as well as using the 3" slinky. Repeated rinses still don't seem to flush all the solids well. I found my sensors starting to give false readings, so i did a very thorough cleaning and flush using the 3" hose, and got much more "stuff" out, and that was after getting it as clean as possible with the Sani-Con. Perhaps some kind of detergent would correct that, but to me that speed or rush of dumping with the 3" gets more out. If I'm doing things wrong, please educate me!!
Sounds right to me.

I flush thoroughly as often as possible via the Stinky Slinky (SS). In the past, time and no congestion at the dump permitting, we'd fill and flush several times. After 19 years in one coach - all the time using the regular residential toilet paper - we've NEVER had a buildup problem.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:36 AM   #20

I am a Sani-Con fan. The complaint of taking longer really doesn't fly for me, 15 minutes vs 5, who cares? Anyway, I like another poster have been full-timing in our rig for over 10 years and have never used a slinky. Whenever we dump I make sure to fill the gray at least to 75%, then after dumping the black I open the gray to allow some gray to backwash into the black tank, close off the gray and red ump the black. I do that at least 3 times. I only use my black tank flush a bout twice a year, and knock on wood have had no issues. The fact I don't have to handle a dirty slinky hose dripping everywhere and have no odor in a completely contained system is worth the extra time to me.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill767 View Post
I am a Sani-Con fan. The complaint of taking longer really doesn't fly for me, 15 minutes vs 5, who cares? Anyway, I like another poster have been full-timing in our rig for over 10 years and have never used a slinky. Whenever we dump I make sure to fill the gray at least to 75%, then after dumping the black I open the gray to allow some gray to backwash into the black tank, close off the gray and red ump the black. I do that at least 3 times. I only use my black tank flush a bout twice a year, and knock on wood have had no issues. The fact I don't have to handle a dirty slinky hose dripping everywhere and have no odor in a completely contained system is worth the extra time to me.
"...after dumping the black I open the gray to allow some gray to backwash into the black tank..." I've read this type pf process from several other posters. I never new you could do this. Please explain how/where is that lever that allows you to do that?

Pictures of where that "level" is would also be helpful.

Thanks.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #22

My friend has the Sani-con and on a couple of different trips he has gone home with plugged pump and over full black tank, not sure if this is a high maintenance item, he replaces everything new when it happens.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
When I used the sanicon, I found that long small hose eld a lot of water in it when finished dumping unless I too the time to 'walk' the hose higher than the outlet from rv to dump...
Old 04-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Do not run the sanicon dry !
if your valves are closed or the tank is empty, you can damage the sanicon...

BUT, I will tell you I don't use my sanicon... got tired of the big hose in my wet bay taking up all the space and just installed a clear drop down extension I hook the stinky slinky to...

Same here. My coach came with one. I removed it the day I bought the coach (used), which freed up some space.

The black tank had a LOT of gunk buildup, I think prior owners used the sani-con exclusively and it never got flushed very good. I have never once had the need to pump uphill since owning the coach. Standard slinky, dump, flush and go, no buildups in the tank.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
"...after dumping the black I open the gray to allow some gray to backwash into the black tank..." I've read this type pf process from several other posters. I never new you could do this. Please explain how/where is that lever that allows you to do that?

Pictures of where that "level" is would also be helpful.

Thanks.
It's very easy. When I know I'm going to dump, I close the gray valve to build up at least 75% full gray tank, then I dump the black by opening the black valve and pump until empty. Then leaving the black valve open I open the gray valve which causes the gray water to run through into the black tank. I let it run for about 1 1/2 minutes and then close the gray valve again, and pump out the black tank again, and repeat. I usually get 3 flushes, and I make sure to end with some water in the gray tank. So the last thing I do is close the black valve, and pump the remaining gray through the line to be sure it is clear. It takes longer to write about it than do it.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
Same here. My coach came with one. I removed it the day I bought the coach (used), which freed up some space.

The black tank had a LOT of gunk buildup, I think prior owners used the sani-con exclusively and it never got flushed very good. I have never once had the need to pump uphill since owning the coach. Standard slinky, dump, flush and go, no buildups in the tank.
I hear this a lot too. I got rid of the Sani-Con hose to free up space, for what, may I ask? My Sani-Con hose occupies a small space to the right of the outlet. It doesn't leak, drip, or have to be handled other than coiling it up there. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #27

Bill B, I agree with you 100%. And I do the gray/black back-flush thing, as well, exactly as you describe. It doesn't add 10 seconds to the entire operation. I do put the wand down into the black tank maybe twice a year, at most, and spend maybe 15 minutes "power washing" the inside of the tank. I can see the bottom of the tank thru the toilet if I put the ball in the service position, and it really doesn't have any buildup, after I finish with the wand. And that is the exact spot where the buildup would be the most severe.

The term "Sani" really does mean sanitary. Our service bay is truly clean. Handling the sewer hose is very sanitary. The only non-sanitary issue I have is with the residue that previous campers leave on the ground where the Sanicon hose is laying when we're camped. When I stow the Sanicon hose, if there is any hint of "ugly", I will spray it with the spray hose, squirt it with 409, then rinse it as I pull it up thru the hole in the floor and stow it. I don't know how clean that REALLY makes it, but it makes me feel better.

Our original 3" hose is still in the storage tube, and has NEVER been used. We've lived in our coach nearly 50% of the time since we got it new in November of 2005, and I truly feel that our storage tanks are in as good or better condition than most 1 year-old coaches on the road. Minimal extra attention and maximum happiness. You can't beat that!

This is all just crazy! How can someone be happy when they are dealing with black tanks????? ��
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
My friend has the Sani-con and on a couple of different trips he has gone home with plugged pump and over full black tank, not sure if this is a high maintenance item, he replaces everything new when it happens.
Wonder what they are putting down there .

I've used mine exclusively in the 5 1/2 years I've owned the coach, and it's never plugged yet.