RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Sani-Con vs stinky-slinky (again :-} )

Our Sani-con hose developed a 'squirt'...

While I like the concept of the Samicon, never really liked the 3" 'fabric' connector between dump valve and sanicon input that held water ALL the time.

So the leak made me take the connector off and use the old stinky slinky after a complete melt down while camping...

Well, we must have a 'special' 43DFT in that the opening in the bottom of our utility closet is too far forward to allow a straight down dump and too far back to connect to (as shown in pic below)
SO had to get one of these...
But I now have to run the stinky slinky out the open utility closet door ! yech!

Tried 45 and 90 degree connectors, etc... and can't get it connected to drop down...

Bought a bunch of 90's, short tubes, etc... thinking I could replace the fabric thingy with permanent connections, but NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO

Sanicon has a non-standard adapter on the inlet... and I can't connect the std 3" connectors there...

So what are my options ?
cut a new hole in the bottom of my closet so the slinky can go out?
buy a new fabric thingy from sanicon ?
cut the one I have so it's only long enough to connect to sanicon inlet ?
and run 'permanent' connectors to it ?

Just use park baths only ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-05 001.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	111282  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #2

Sanicon install improvement on a 43DFT

I experienced everything you described so I completely re-engineered the Sanicon installation in my 43DFT. I had already experienced most of the problems in a Knight where I had the chance to test what worked and didn't. I used a section of hose from the url below:

Recreational Vehicle Hose | Smooth-Bor Plastics
Style C 1 & C 1G

Send me a personal email and perhaps we can chat on the phone as there is a lot of opportunity to improve the setup besides changing the hose.

bradlewis2@gmail.com

As an aside, I haven't used a stinky slinky in years and we're in the motorhome half time.

43DFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I just recently fixed that problem on mine (Same issue, couldn't take the hose out of the bottom access panel). I cut a larger hole and put a large deck plate in there (bought at the local marine supply house). Now there is plenty of room to swing the discharge down ant put a hose out of the bottom as it should be.

I also reached in behind there and unscrewed the pump; relocated it to the forward floor panel where you can actually get to the pump if you need to service.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/2008...-261870-2.html
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Gentlemen !
great forum - much appreciate the info...

now just to get someone qualified to do the work
Old 11-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have'nt replaced the 3" hose on mine yet, but all of the threads I've read on this board from folks that have, they simply put a few wraps of rescue tape around the Sani con inlet, streched the new hose over it, and secured with a hose clamp.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume it's the 3" line from RV to Sani-Con that failed.

Take it out hang it up (Attach to and adapter if you need to) and spray it well with FLEX SEAL, you know that spray on rubber in a can.. like 3 coats. Then put it back.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #7

I'm not sure if I'm reading the Original post correctly, but the main outlet will swivel up and down. I think many owners don't know that. You should be able to swivel the outlet in order to put the connections on.
crah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, it swivels, but still not enough clearance to connect a slinky or a 45 or a 90 to it, believe me, I tried ...
Old 11-07-2015, 05:22 AM   #9

I guess I missed the part where the Sanicon won't take a standard hose. I replaced the factory "smelly" hose with first a straight clear adapter followed by a 90 degree clear elbow. Fits almost perfectly and let's me actually observe what is flowing from the tank. And then a length of heavy duty standard size slinky cut to fit the remaining length. No problems with leaks, much less odor in the water bay, and I can tell when the tank has been flushed clean. I did lose a slight bit of opening of the black valve because the handle hits the added solid tubing but that doesn't affect the ability to empty the tank that I can see.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Our Sani-con hose developed a 'squirt'...

While I like the concept of the Samicon, never really liked the 3" 'fabric' connector between dump valve and sanicon input that held water ALL the time.

So the leak made me take the connector off and use the old stinky slinky after a complete melt down while camping...

Well, we must have a 'special' 43DFT in that the opening in the bottom of our utility closet is too far forward to allow a straight down dump and too far back to connect to (as shown in pic below)
SO had to get one of these...
But I now have to run the stinky slinky out the open utility closet door ! yech!

Tried 45 and 90 degree connectors, etc... and can't get it connected to drop down...

Bought a bunch of 90's, short tubes, etc... thinking I could replace the fabric thingy with permanent connections, but NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO

Sanicon has a non-standard adapter on the inlet... and I can't connect the std 3" connectors there...

So what are my options ?
cut a new hole in the bottom of my closet so the slinky can go out?
buy a new fabric thingy from sanicon ?
cut the one I have so it's only long enough to connect to sanicon inlet ?
and run 'permanent' connectors to it ?

Just use park baths only ?

This is the setup I came up with. The 45 degree fitting has a hose inlet that let's me close the black tank while keeping the sanicon on and flushing it with clean water after dumping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151107_082447[1].jpg
Views:	93
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	111321  
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the pic - am very visual and they help me follow your descriptions...

Would others mind posting pics of their 'updates' ?
thanks in advance !

Jim,
the inlet into the sanicon is non standard and I had to fiddle with their 'gasket' to stop leaks the first time someone worked on it...

and here we go again
Old 11-08-2015, 04:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Their 'gaskets' (which look like oversize rubber bands) are a pain in themselves. After fussing with two of them for an hour, wife suggested wrapping the pipe with electrical tape to build up the different diameters instead.

As usual, her idea worked like a charm.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:23 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Yes, it swivels, but still not enough clearance to connect a slinky or a 45 or a 90 to it, believe me, I tried ...
I have to swivel my fitting and install the 45 from the bottom when using the 3" hose, and it is TIGHT. On my to do list is to install a larger deck fitting as others have done. I did replace the sanicon to dump outlet hose with a length of heavy duty Rino dump hose, no more smell and leaks, replaced the "rubber band" with vulcanizing tape and with Driffter's helpful hint I also "improved" (larger size) the discharge end of the sanicon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	111408  
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKnight View Post
I have to swivel my fitting and install the 45 from the bottom when using the 3" hose, and it is TIGHT. On my to do list is to install a larger deck fitting as others have done. I did replace the sanicon to dump outlet hose with a length of heavy duty Rino dump hose, no more smell and leaks, replaced the "rubber band" with vulcanizing tape and with Driffter's helpful hint I also "improved" (larger size) the discharge end of the sanicon.
Do you have more detailed info on the discharge end improvement? The larger discharge make sense to decrease the amount if time it takes. Does it still have the garden hose connection?

Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote