RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #1

Satellite wiring to receiver.

I have a 2008 Holiday Rambler.with a KVH tracvision R5/R4. The previous owner took out the receiver. I have an H24-700 receiver that KVH said would work. There is a connection block that has a caax connector that says "from exterior dish". Could it be as easy as running a coax from that to the receiver? I also have color coded wires. Labeled . Do they just plug into the same labeled ports on the back of the receiver?
Reed208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased and installed a KVH R5SL TracVision system on our previous coach. It malfunctioned numerous times and I had to send the main board into KVH for repair. I learned way more than I ever wanted to know about the system.

I used a Dish Network VIP211K receiver with ours. You also need the inside 12v KVH switch and power supply with the proper plug for your satellite system.

The problem with these in motion systems is they have an extremely narrow field of view and can only track one satellite at a time. Current satellite TV services require three satellites to access all channels.
Sometimes the motorhome leveling system would relevel and it would loose lock. Other times my wife would switch channels and the new channel required a different satellite and it would go off into never-never land.

KVH used to have excellent telephone support but that has been cut.

Attached is the KVH install manual.
If it functions when you get it connected, enjoy it for as long as it lasts but I would not spend any money on it.
Best of luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KVH satellite install guide.pdf (1.94 MB, 5 views)
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #3

Pictures

Vito:
May I send you pictures of the equipment already installed so that you can see how they match up with what you have and save me from making a connection mistake?

My email is Reed208@cs.com. if you are willing send me an email and I will send you back pictures. KVH wasn't any help.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That connection in the rear compartment is most likely for you to use an external dish such as one on a tripod.

I didn't search what you dish is exactly but Mine had a dome that was in motion. Those wires came down into the back of the cabinet over the drivers dash area.

What model RV do you have?
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
YC1

When you open the file, mouse over the post it note and click if needed to get it to pop up.

At one time there was a bunch of extra stuff in the cabinet over the driver in my unit. 2008SKQ .. The stuff was supposedly for some sort of High Def setup but that was all bypassed and later tossed.

The dome needs a good solid 12 volts so being connected to shoreline, the generator running, or good solar to keep it there is needed when it is looking for a bird. After it locks, you can turn the power off as I recall. I added a power supply at one time and let the inverter supply 110 volts to the power supply and then the 12 volts needed to the dish.

The symptoms of it having low voltage is that it just keeps hunting and never locks. Much like being blocked by a tree.

Guess I will look up your dish so I don't lead you down the wrong path.

Ok, I am full of baloney now that I did the search. You seem to have the modern carryout type thing. In that case, just feed it to the cable connection in the back and find the connection in the cabinet up front.

But just in case it is the model I had this should help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Satellite cabling in rv.pdf (280.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
YC1

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xjjsv...0-iNu?e=tNc0tW

Download all of these files when you have a good internet speed. Use your search feature in the folders to find related information gathered since buying our Endeavor new in 2008. Included is a factory CD that was converted from their numbering system to a system with real file names. Those files were sorted and placed into sub folders.

When you open a pdf and find a post it like note, mouse over it and click if needed to find relevant information. If you open a schematic and it is not sharp, hold the ctrl key down and hit the # 5 on your keyboard. It should sharpen up.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
When you open the file, mouse over the post it note and click if needed to get it to pop up.

At one time there was a bunch of extra stuff in the cabinet over the driver in my unit. 2008SKQ .. The stuff was supposedly for some sort of High Def setup but that was all bypassed and later tossed.

The dome needs a good solid 12 volts so being connected to shoreline, the generator running, or good solar to keep it there is needed when it is looking for a bird. After it locks, you can turn the power off as I recall. I added a power supply at one time and let the inverter supply 110 volts to the power supply and then the 12 volts needed to the dish.

The symptoms of it having low voltage is that it just keeps hunting and never locks. Much like being blocked by a tree.

Guess I will look up your dish so I don't lead you down the wrong path.

Ok, I am full of baloney now that I did the search. You seem to have the modern carryout type thing. In that case, just feed it to the cable connection in the back and find the connection in the cabinet up front.

But just in case it is the model I had this should help.
I would like to send you pictures of all the equipment related to the trac vision R5/R4 in motion satellite and see if you could tell me how to connect the coaxial cable from the satellite connector to the receiver. Then from the receiver to the switch box that sends the signal to the TVs
I can send them to your email.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #8
YC1

I sent you a PM with email. Glad to take a look.

Tags
satellite, wiring