Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #1

Scalding hot water, no adjustment?

On our new vacationer, the 6 gallon electric water is so hot it will burn us. The owners manual speaks of 2 different systems, both of them having temperature adjustment knobs on them, but I see nothing.

Is there any way to slow it down?????????
mcaimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What brand and model do you have?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #3

Our water heater has no temperature adjustment. We were told this is done deliberately so that the user will use more cold water to adjust the temperature downward and use less hot water (thus not running out as quickly). I remember reading on a forum somewhere that an alternative thermostat was available but did not pay attention as we had no real interest. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will respond.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
You can buy an adjustable thermostat at most RV stores and Camping World but... I don't recommend it. Just know that it's hot and add enough cold to cool it down or like someone else said... you'll run out of hot water in the shower very quickly.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Put in a NEW Standard shower control and it has a built in thermostate. You will NOT burn yourself. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #6

Use more cold water, that will keep your hot water supply lasting longer. You do not have a large capacity of hot water like you do in your house
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is the temp of the water coming out of your hot water faucet?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Use more cold water and just beware that it is very hot. I have a 10 gallon and thats the way mine is also.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #9

The dealer says no adjustment. it's 140 degrees, and like you folks said, use less hot more cold water that way. We'll get used to it.

Interesting fact: In our 5er we traded for this MH, the 10 gallon tank took nearly half an hour to heat up enough to just run the hot water faucet for a shower. This 6 gallon tank takes 12 minutes! Love it! (That's mainly why we wanted the 6 gallon--we can both take showers and save propane.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Like l said previously the $79.00 American Standard shower control has a life time ceramic cartridge and an adjustable thermostat build in. Plus it works so much smoother and easier then the "stock" cheap one. deSanford I got mine at Home Depot.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Like l said previously the $79.00 American Standard shower control has a life time ceramic cartridge and an adjustable thermostat build in. Plus it works so much smoother and easier then the "stock" cheap one. deSanford I got mine at Home Depot.
Thanx. I'll check out Home Depot. It would be nice for the consumer to choose whether or not they want scalding water. We're not big hot water users, so I'd rather have less hot water. Thanks for all your responses. Mark
Old 02-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The Standard unit I bought was for a shower and tub combo. I purchased a "plug" for the shower fitting on top of the valve body and used the bottom port to feed my shower "hose" since that is where my old unit's shower hose is connected. The box contains a "shower head" which I didn't need and a "tub water fixture", also a shower "pipe" for the shower head. When you take off the old "cheap" shower control valve you will see how cheap it is made. You rotate the handle and you line up two holes (one cold and one hot water) and try to mix the right amount of water to achive the temperature you find comfortable. There is two rubber "O" RINGS that provide the tightness for the control knob. Bottom line get a quality unit and enjoy your showers safely. Home Depot will provide a company to install it if you want and quarantee the installation at the price Home Depot quotes. Actually you pay for the install at the time you purchase the unit, or after if you give up installing it. Sorry for the short story that went long.........deSanford

Tags
water