RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Schematics for 2005 Monaco Safari Cheetah

I have a 2005 Monaco Safari Cheetah that has a "repaired salvage" title for electrical issues. I spit on the ground when I say "repaired" in this context. It's a joke, but it's not that funny to me.

That being said, I have multiple systems not working and a few that seem to be working correctly, but have ZERO schematics. If you will, please email any and all more or less applicable schematics to my email. I will very much appreciate anything anyone can send my way!

Also, my internet searches have not paid off; if someone can point me to a resource for schematics for my motorhome, paper or downloadable, I'll be thrilled!!

Thanks in advance for any help rendered. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment, the drivetrain in the coach is apparently solid but there's so much to do in the interior.

One step at a time, keep your eye on the goal. And carry on... keeping calm is optional!

Harry Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #2

Hi,

I have the schematics for my coach, paper only. They are on large paper. Not sure what I can do. Let me think about it.

I read in your profile "Doesn't seem to be charging house batteries when motor is running, charges them when on shore power."

Right, no charging from the alternator.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mark, howdy, thanks for the reply. Large format is definitely a problem. If we are local I'd be happy to photograph them, but I don't know what to do long distance.

I don't understand
"I read in your profile "Doesn't seem to be charging house batteries when motor is running, charges them when on shore power."

Right, no charging from the alternator."

Are you saying that's the design? I'm learning as I go on this thing; designing it like that makes NO sense, but I'm learning that doesn't mean all that much. If it's not designed to charge from the alternator on the motor, I'll probably be redesigning that bit. Weird stuff!!

And thanks for the input, I would have been troubleshooting a system that is working as designed... pretty hard to find the problem! (I've done that before, worked on the thing until you finally come to a point where you've defined the whole bloody system and realize "it's SUPPOSED to act like that!". D'oh!!")
Harry Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moto View Post
Are you saying that's the design?
Yes. There is no connection from the alternator to the house batteries on the schematics. In the users manual it implies the house batteries are charged from the alternator.

"Excess operating temperature of the alternator for extended periods of operation can lead to premature failure of the alternator. If the house batteries are in a low state of charge, it is recommended to charge the house batteries with the inverter or an auxiliary battery charger before driving the motorhome."

A bit confusing and I have found the manual covers several models and not all systems are the same across the models.

Also there is no charge from the inverter/charger to the chassis batteries while on shore power/generator. I installed a Trik-L-Start.

If you discover something different please let me know. It could be Monaco used an alternator incapable of charging chassis and house batteries concurrently.

While I was in AZ a month ago I am now in Texas. I was thinking of finding a place to scan the schematics. But, at the moment I am not near much in the way of services.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Harry-

Hey, "Mark-" has schematics, and a Cheetah like yours, and I have what? Nothing ... except iRV2 threads to search.

In my limited experience, it would be unusual for a coach like yours to NOT have a circuit that would charge the house batteries from the alternator.

Here is the more general search on Google for iRV2 posts with the terms "Safari," "Cheetah, "boost" and "solenoid" in them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22S...ite%3Airv2.com

Here's one of the listed posts that might apply to your coach:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/hous...ing-61052.html

I realize it discusses other Monaco coach models, but the links that brought me to that thread came from a Cheetah owner who posted.

Here's a question for you: Is there a BATT BOOST or AUX BOOST button on or near the dash of your coach?" A second question: If the answer to the first is "yes," and someone repeatedly presses and release the button, can you hear (perhaps from outside the coach) the sound of a large solenoid closing and opening?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #6

Yeah you would think. When I purchased this coach, three years ago and discovered the two charging issues I searched the web, looked for a connection, checked over the schematics, no joy. If there is a device or diode pack on this coach it is not in the battery bay.

As to the boost solenoid, yes and yes. Are you suggesting the diodes are part of the solenoid?
Old 10-27-2018, 05:06 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mark-

If an AUX BOOST solenoid exists, it can be a part of a charging circuit between the chassis and house battery banks. If I was called over to your coach, knowing nothing about it, and without diagrams to consult, the first thing I would do is find that solenoid and trace the wires that feed it, both high- and low-current.

On older coaches, ones with diode isolators, the leads to the AUX BOOST solenoid could terminate on the diode posts. On later coaches, the AUX BOOST had a voltage-sensing circuit that activated it, often called an IRD, "Isolator Relay Delay." If it worked in both directions (chassis ---> house and house ---> chassis) it would be a BIRD, "Bi-directional Isolator Relay Delay."

Some coaches may have this cross-charging circuitry incorporated in multi-purpose electronic modules, rather than an IRD or BIRD. I don't know if the Safari diesel line had such equipment.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #8

l1v3fr33ord1, Right and neither application applied to my coach.

Alternator does not change house batteries.
Inverter/charger does not charge chassis batteries.

Other than the boost relay, the two systems do not connect.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #9

The boost relay will do the cross charging. It gets a signal from a voltage sensing device. May look like this.

https://www.intellitec.com/index.php...llitec_B.I.R.D.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2018-10-27-19-38-07.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	224046Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2018-10-27-19-38-33.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	224047
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2006 Cheetah. My alternator charges chassis and house. My inverter charges only house. I have no schematics, but I have a camera, if that helps. There are a lot of wires running around the battery bay. Not sure what does what.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Take the large schematics to Kinkos and they can reduce them.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The boost relay will do the cross charging. It gets a signal from a voltage sensing device.
My coach does not have one of those devices.

> TonyMac

And 2006 might have been the year Monaco made the change.

> There are a lot of wires running around the battery bay. Not sure what does what.

Not so many wires that I was not able to identify the purpose of every wire.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Take the large schematics to Kinkos and they can reduce them.
LOL, no Kinkos nearby.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark- View Post
Yes. There is no connection from the alternator to the house batteries on the schematics. In the users manual it implies the house batteries are charged from the alternator.

"Excess operating temperature of the alternator for extended periods of operation can lead to premature failure of the alternator. If the house batteries are in a low state of charge, it is recommended to charge the house batteries with the inverter or an auxiliary battery charger before driving the motorhome."

A bit confusing and I have found the manual covers several models and not all systems are the same across the models.

Also there is no charge from the inverter/charger to the chassis batteries while on shore power/generator. I installed a Trik-L-Start.

If you discover something different please let me know. It could be Monaco used an alternator incapable of charging chassis and house batteries concurrently.

While I was in AZ a month ago I am now in Texas. I was thinking of finding a place to scan the schematics. But, at the moment I am not near much in the way of services.

Mark, et al. I think the alternator is supposed to automatically charge the house batteries thru the "BIRD" or something like that in the electric panel under the drivers seat. Mine doesn't work either, but I "fixed" that by wiring a circuit around the "Boost" switch that I can turn on and off manually and charge the house batteries. Also installed a house battery amp meter on the dash so I can see how things are going. Works fine, but don't use it often. Dick

Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, schematics