Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2020, 12:26 PM   #1

Scratches on Motorhome

i'd like to rub out a few surface scratches on my monarch. they aren't deep and are not through the paint. any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 12:40 PM   #2

Maguire's Ultimate Compound

https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/megui...ound-16oz.html
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #3

IMO enter with caution.

Before you start slinging around rubbing compound and the likes of there’s a couple of things you need to know.

Is it really a scratch? ...or is it paint transfer from something hitting the surface?

If a scratch?... is the scratch thu the clear coat?.... You need to know this otherwise you risk rubbing your clear coat off….. and then you have much bigger issues.

Evaluate the scratches in need of attention and if the scratch is thu just the clear coat you may want to prep the scratch for touch up and touch it up with clear coat touch up filling the void ( you may need to do more than one coat ) and then if needed once done use a soft small flat rubber sanding block and wet sand the clear coat repair until flat starting carefully starting with 1500grit then working you way up to 3000 then polish from there.

Happy Trails
Old 01-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #4

I call them scratches, but they do not penetrate the coatings, but are visible with the naked eye. the coatings aren't damaged. I don't think putting it to a buffing wheel is needed, but I am wanting to know your opinions.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #5

Can you feel the scratches? If you can feel them with your fingers rubbing compound will not remove them and they will need to be filled. You can get clear coat repair pens that also have a small brush. You will most likely need multiple coats even for the finest defects. Then you can sand and buff.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:57 AM   #6

If you see the “scratches” they have scored the surface of your finish, but as you stated they are most likely very minimal in most cases.

On my coach, I used Meguiar’s M210 and M210 Mirror Glaze Ultra Pro Finishing Polish and then polished.

https://www.meguiars.com/professiona...5B1544%5D=1544

Remember with most finishing compounds and polishes your using abrasives on your finish, so do so accordingly.

Start with a discrete spot to determine the sequence of finishing products to remove your scratches.

Depending on the aera you are trying to finish ….if large? I would suggest a random orbital buffer to do so.

Happy Hunting
Old 01-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Use a polish, and if that doesn't work, a mild compound. I always start rubbing BY HAND, not with a machine. Rub a little, then stop. Then a little more if needed until the scratch is gone. If you find yourself rubbing too much, stop before you go through the clearcoat, and see a professional. The important thing is to use care not to make your problem worse.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, scr