Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #1

Searching for a fuse

I was doing some work on my TV bat wing to modify it for that "digital" attachment and unfortunately had left the amplifier box on resulting in blowing a fuse. Than I found out the satellite antenna is apparently on the same circuit because it now will not search for a signal. Problem is, I can't locate a fuse for either. Anyone have an idea?
RVwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Would help if we knew what coach you have, and what year it is. Makes a BIG difference.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Would help if we knew what coach you have, and what year it is. Makes a BIG difference.
His public profile says it's an '04 HR Imperial with residence in Madison, SD
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The first place I would start checking is your Front Run Bay electrical panel located under the driver's side window. That's where most of my fuses are located for the TV antenna, etc.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #5

Searching for a fuse

I have pulled every fuse in the electrical bay up driver's front and found all to be OK. The fuse chart does not list any fuse for that application. After wondering if I had destroyed the amplifier, I located the wiring, found another 12v source and wired it in. The amplifier then worked fine. Haven't tried the same thing with the satellite antenna. That wire is harder to get to.
So, still looking for that fuse!!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwheels View Post
I have pulled every fuse in the electrical bay up driver's front and found all to be OK. The fuse chart does not list any fuse for that application. After wondering if I had destroyed the amplifier, I located the wiring, found another 12v source and wired it in. The amplifier then worked fine. Haven't tried the same thing with the satellite antenna. That wire is harder to get to.
So, still looking for that fuse!!
Obviously, HR did things differently than Monaco. Then I would solicit help from another 2004 HR Imperial owner and see if they would know where that specific fuse is located. There are HR forums on different web sites, one in particular that comes to mind is the Rambler's.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #7

In my MH that fuse is located in what is called the "Domestic Fuse Box" which is located in one of my bathroom cabinets. It is about a 6" X 4" black plastic box witha removable cover.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #8

The amp. is probably tied to another circuit ....there may be other items with no power too or its an inline fuse
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #9

Thank you for your suggstions. I will try some other forums. I do have a "domestic" box by the 110/120 breaker panel in my bedroom, but it also has no listing and all fuses are OK. This is the fun side of RV living. A challenge and learning experience.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In modifying the Bat-Wing system for digital you should not be messing with any wire with power on it. You do not touch the switch to roof cable at all. adding the WINGMAN moves no wires.. You should only be working "down line" from the switch.

Of course if you have that wall plate special (With the switch 12volt outlet antenna connection led and switch) then you can short it out when you open the box.. I know.. did it. several times.

Check your HOUSE fuse block, ,, if you have a 12 volt fuse checker great.. If not let me tell you how to build one

You will need TWO led's or a 2-wire 3-color LED, and a resistor Likely about 600-700 ohms for the resistor (Exact value not all that critical)

Put the resistor and the LED in series.. If using two led's they are parallel and "Back to back" (That is the short lead on one is hooked to the long lead on the other)

now touch the free Resistor lead to one of the test pads on a blade fuse and the free LED lead to the other (With a bit of work you can design a holder) if the LED lights (either one or either color) the fuse is blown.

Progressive Dynamics fuse blocks... Have built in LED indicators (YIPPIE I got one)
Old 01-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #11

RVwheels, I dug out my wiring diagrams and I found a 15 amp fuse labeled TV Ant in the Forward Run Box but the 12 v fuse for my Sat system comes from my Domestic Box. I could find the two system being tied together for power anywhere.

So why do you think the TV ant amp has no power? Is it because there is on red LED on the box? By some chance did you accidently push that little red button on the TV ant amp box because if you did it will switch the TV input from the ant to the basement TV cable shore connection and the red LED will go out.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #12

wa8yxm: You are right, there are no wires to mess with adding the digital. However, I needed to disassemble the bat-wing due to the need to "reverse" it so it could lay flat on the roof when down. With the digital installed as the antenna came with the motor home, the digital would hit the AC not allowed to lay flat on the roof. So I disassembled, yes forgetting to turn off the amp, and obviously blew a fuse.
Mr. Canter:
I can't find any labeling for any fuse at any obvious fuse board that lists either the TV antenna nor satellite antenna. My next effort will be to locate the satellite antenna power lead (probably from the back of the plate that holds the switch to turn on the antenna to find the satellite), attempt to follow the wire thru the mass of wires and hope I get lucky. Like I said, a challenge and learning experience.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwheels View Post
wa8yxm: I can't find any labeling for any fuse at any obvious fuse board that lists either the TV antenna nor satellite antenna.
On our HR, some of our fused 'house' components are labeled "Builder" instead of identifying each component fuse. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #14

My 06 Beaver has fuses in the front bay under the driver's window all 12v), some in the bathroom (some 110v, some tied to the multiplex that are probably 12v), some in the living room (I think they were 12v), and more in the engine bay (all 12v).

You can write to Monaco support. I have found they are very friendly, helpful and have a history of being 100% incorrect (but they are nice and they try).

Good luck. Luck is needed.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote