Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

Second rear camera

I am concerning adding another rear camera and monitor, existing monitor is Sony and includes Aladdin control functions .
The camera only gives a image of the rear of the MH and tow and is not adjustable. I would like to have a view of the rear road way and looking at a Voyager system, has any one added a second monitor and camera system. MH 2005HR scepter.
Bob B
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 11:56 PM   #2

I removed the old sony and installed this with 2 cams and a remote. total cost about $70. trade off is no sound. uses wayy less power. runs cooler. much better image .
I used a small smoked plexiglass square as a flange to put it where the sony came out. looks pretty good. cam1 looks close, from bumber to back of towed rig, and cam2
loks from front of towed rig to sky.. very good view. be lost without it.
HD 7" Car Rear View Monitor for GPS Car DVD Backup Camera Remote Control | eBay

Universal 170° Professional Waterproof Car Rearview Rear View Back Up Camera VE4 | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	driver1.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	82663  
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the picture and product info, nice job. Do you have aladdin functions on the monitor?
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjburian View Post
Thanks for the picture and product info, nice job. Do you have aladdin functions on the monitor?
Assuming Aladdin has a similar setup to Aladdin Jr, it is just a composite video output. As long as the monitor system has a spare video input, you should be able to hook that video cable to the new monitor system. There's really no need to keep the old monitor system.

I have the Voyager AOM-7694 system and am happy with it. It has a rear camera with sound and tilt up/down functions, two side cameras, and the spare input for my Aladdin Jr. system. It will automatically switch views according to reverse or left/right turn signal, bringing that camera to full view. It also has some nice split screen modes, the one I normally have on has the rear camera shown full screen, and the two side cameras inset into the lower corners.

The only thing that I think is worthless is the sound on the rear camera. All it picks up is the engine rumble. I keep the volume turned down all the time.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
YC1

If your main issue is not seeing far enough down the road I too had that issue on my 08 Endeavor. My Voyager system has a camera that tilts up and down but the up was not enough. I modified the mount and can now see as far down the road as I want. It took a bit of fiberglass work but was not difficult.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I should add that my adjustable rear Voyager camera tilts from seeing the hitch and a sliver of of the rear cap when down, to seeing to the horizon when up. I'll bet it's the same camera as Myron's, perhaps they changed the back cap somewhat between '07 and '08 and his is mounted at a slightly different angle?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Not to be smart guy, but what is wrong with using the rearview mirrors to see beyond the toad?
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Not to be smart guy, but what is wrong with using the rearview mirrors to see beyond the toad?
The camera gives a better view, and makes it easier to judge the clearance distance when pulling back into the lane after passing. That's with the camera pointing toward the horizon.

When pointed down, it makes it much easier to back into a space and up to an obstruction without hitting it. You often can't see such obstructions in the mirrors once you get close to them, and it's much harder to judge distance.

Could I like without a camera? Sure. Would I want to? No way, not after knowing what it can do. Especially an adjustable camera!

Just like on my daily driver truck: on my last truck, I often thought I should install a rear camera, but never got around to it. My current truck has one. Wow. Now, I will do whatever it takes to make sure I always have one in the future!

Tags
camera