Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Seems to be my day for Electrical.

Slightly different problem then "digNbubbs" recent issue on 12 Volt House Problems but with similarities.

My 12 volt lights just went out.

110 volt works but I am having problems with the Magnum inverter as noted in another thread.

Went to look at the "Battery Cut Off Switch" next to the door. Normally, it has a red light on the switch. Now it has no light. Could just be a inoperative bulb. When I flip the switch for the "Battery Cut Off Switch" with the interior lights go on, they then won't go off when you toggle the "Battery Cut Off Switch. I flipped the switch several times and no change. Lights stay on.

If I turn of the ceiling light switch on the panel, the lights go off and on as they should.

Went to the street side compartment and opened the panel. I had my daughter meter it and it showed power on both sides of the solenoid. The fuse is fine. The solenoid has a small circuit board attached to one of the smaller bolts, so it's one of the newer ones. Then I had her give it a sharp rap with the but of a rubber handled screwdriver (BIG ONE - for those who want to know the size) . You could hear the click. When I pushed the "Battery Cut Off Switch" again, the lights went off as they should have.

When I hit the switch again, the lights go on and stay on regardless of how many times you hit the Battery Cut Off Switch.

Had her hit the solenoid again and you could hear the "click" and the lights would go off by the "Battery Cut Off Switch".

Hit the battery cut off switch again and lights go on and won't go off by the battery cut off switch again unless you whack the solenoid.

OK. Gonna have to replace the solenoid. That's for sure. Thanks to digNbubbs's thread, I know I can get a replacement from Napa or Autozone. Going there next.

Question is? Could this problem in any way cause the Magnum Inverter to fault? Is it all part of the same problem?

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Gordon,
If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. My gut tells me it is not the Magnum causing the problem, it sounds like something downstream. It sounds like a slave relay not responding correctly to the salesmen switch or solenoid it controls. What coach do you have? I have a dc wiring diagram but they differ from year to year and sometimes month to month.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpack98 View Post
Gordon,
If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. My gut tells me it is not the Magnum causing the problem, it sounds like something downstream. It sounds like a slave relay not responding correctly to the salesmen switch or solenoid it controls. What coach do you have? I have a dc wiring diagram but they differ from year to year and sometimes month to month.

mark
I have an 07 HR Ambassador 40' SKT.

As it turns out NAPA has a 12 volt solenoid part that I think is the same - looks like it, and the specs are the same based on the info from KIB (manufacturer of the original). They want 105.00 for it. NAPA part # ST-90

I am pretty sure that I found an original replacement, including the casing and circuit board that is attached w/fuse for 53.00.

I never lost 12 volt and 110 volt at the same time, so it may be doubtful that the 12 volt circuit has any connection to the inverter as the batteries all check out as excellent and as far as I can tell, the 110 volt system does not interact with the 12 volt system.

If you would, check your wiring diagram for the 12 volt solenoid that us up in the fuse box next to the drivers seat and see if there is any wiring that they have in common? Would be interesting - and appreciated.

The Magnum tech was very confident that the inverter has a bad board based on the tests he had me do.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Some of the machines I worked on had relays that passed DC thru the contacts. They were notorious for sticking contacts, a form of welding happened when the DC contacts arced. The contacts were usually plated with a harder metal but when the plating burned off they stuck. Replacing the relay was the fix in those cases.
Ron
Pusherpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not sure why you want to replace the solenoid most people just bypass the thing. I am sure there are a number of threads on this forum that will give detailed instructions on how to do it. This thread seem to have a good description and pictures. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/12-v...ion-24884.html
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks itdaved.

Since 12 volt power is "stuck - on", I have not done it, although I have the jumper cable made and ready to go if needed.

For me, this would be a stop gap measure, as I would prefer to keep it as designed.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #7

My Magnum inverter fried a FEP board without warning thus batteries not charging and the fault panel flashing like a strobe light. Magnum people were nice and supported their product...sent a board overnight and the service-center for Magnum is taking care of it...
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I went out and tested the inverter this morning. Everything on that end works just fine now.

Sent back their defective board.

All is good!

Old 10-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Gordon;

I just had your problem and fixed it using this: http://http://www.irv2.com/forums/f1...ion-24884.html

Or, under "Search Forum," type "12 volt house problem solution". Once there, scroll down to the pictures. It's an easy fix and everything works fine on my coach now.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Bud. The link does not work (at least for me). If you are referring to the jumper cable where the solenoid is bypassed. I already have a cable set up and I have the procedure.

It's good info and in my bag of tricks!