Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
SeeVision/Aladdin fix

2003 Signature Commander
(long, sorry)
I have the SeeVision system with side/rear/ interior cameras. The monitor is the Sony SSM. I get the Aladdin engine/chassis data fine, but no cameras. You can hear the backup camera's sound, always on. The previous owner had tried to have it fixed, but the quotes were awfully high.
I tried all the RCA outputs on both, but could only get the Aladdin screens I have on the Sony. I see used Aladdin boxes are $1,000 and SeeVision I could not even find used, and the Sony is a couple of hundred used. I think the SeeVIsion box is bad. Pretty expensive to buy used (non-returnable) parts for switching without knowing which is bad.
The PO had put a new backup camera on the roof, and put a monitor on top of the dash, in front of the wheel. The camera was mounted too far back or too low, so you can't see the camera (and I'm 6'4"), until you back about ten feet from the coach. I was going to buy new side and rear cameras and the side ones would screw on the body, and just leave the mirror cameras alone.
After reading here about how good Tim at RvCams is, I emailed to see if I could get an adaptor for the rear view camera. I had seen a camera switchbox elsewhere, and asked if he had one with RCA connections. He told me the original cables are S cables, and they are 4 pin. He also told me there is no standard in what each pin is for. I knew that because I had just replaced the monitor on the dash and the 6 pin S cable from the old camera didn't work, I had to use the new monitor's harness.
Long story shot (ha!), if you have a the Aladdin on the Sony and no camera views. you can fix it pretty cheap. I got a camera switch box and 3 S cable adaptors for the original B/W cameras. $156 and tax. I unplugged the cameras from the SeeVision, plugged the 6" adaptors in, and wired the new box with the rear, side, +,-, wires straight off the SeeVision, (I had to take the power off the SeeVision to stop static). The B/W cameras are 12 volt! Not 8v.
I could not get the cheapo Chinese FTF monitor to work with the box. It would sometimes bring up the camera, but then the camera one would switch to two, plus one view (the replacement rear which I wanted because it is a great rear view mirror, just not for parking) or the other (side, etc) would be upside down.
I have put in a radio, android, navigation unit with 10" screen, and when I plugged into that, it works perfectly. Don't try it with a $50 9 inch monitor from Aliexpress.
RvCams offers the whole shebang with a monitor to replace the Sony in the dash. $530. If you have a nav/android/ radio, you can buy the parts I used and plug it in. They have a switcher box for the 6 pin Sony color system as well. It is the same price as the box and adaptors I bought.
I like having the Aladdin data, the Op's new backup camera, and the original nav/side + rear camera all at a glance.
You can plug any monitor with rca input into the video out of the Aladdin box and see if the monitor is bad or the Aladdin. Borrow one from your desktop comp or plug it in a TV.
Hope this might help someone else avoid all the hair pulling I did.
Onrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, that's great.
You should look at this thread. One of our talented IRV2 members has a reasonably priced color upgrade for the cameras.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/upg...re-483924.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Thanks, he is quite the craftsman. I haven't driven it yet with the B/W, so I don't know yet, but I subscribed to the thread in case I want to later on.
Onrecess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vision