Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Evotec I dont know what coach you have but the Monaco coaches will not activate the Pacbrake below about 10 mph, I did not say to take the air cylinder off, I guess I didnt explain my self clear enough what I do is unhook the power line 12 V(to keep from back feeding the computer) I leave the ground hooked to the Mac valve that activates the air cylender that closes & opens the pacbrake I hook 12v from a out source, starter or where ever to a push button type starter switch and with the air pressure up I cycle the pacbrake with the push button switch.

The procedure that I described is for a Jacob exhaust brake, not a pac brake.
evotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I should have said Jacob or Pacbrake exhaust brake, it would not make any difference which exhaust brake it would still not operate under 10 mph, that is controlled by the computer.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Exhaust brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotech View Post
Just thought that I should share this story. I bought my 1998 HR Endeavor about a year ago. I had never driven or owned a class A coach before. When I engaged the exhaust brake it would slow somewhat, but nothing too dramatic. Fast forward to this week. I am preparing for a cross country trip with the family and going over every nut and bolt. I decide to take a good look at the Jacob Exhaust brake. Well, The butterfly valve was completely seized open and was not working at all. All that I really felt was the transmission downshifting. After a night of soaking in PB blaster and many hours with a hammer and other instruments of destruction, it finally freed up enough to start working it. I worked it back and fourth for hours with ATF fluid, PB blaster, motor oil ect...until it was totally back to normal. A quick test ride confirmed that it was finally functioning and boy what a difference.
I have found that you need to use the exhaust brake on and off several times, to leave it on all the time leads to those kinds of problems. One coach started up in the RV park and would barely run, the exhaust brake was open. It sputtered like it was running on 4 cylinders. Once the brake closed it ran fine. I talked to the CAT dealer about my C-12 engine exhaust brake and they said there was no need to lubricate it, just use it.
chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
On another forum, a Jacobs exhaust brake was discussed. I was told to put tranny in the default gear for the brake (usually 2nd or 4th), drive coach to get RPM's up, exhaust brake on, let up on throttle and you should feel it braking if the exhaust brake is working. If you don't feel it working---it's not.
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had exactly the same problem. (And the same fix) but now have a siezed air cylinder as well. *sigh*
jimhfurlong is offline   Reply With Quote