Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #1

Sensors on Gray and Holding Tanks

2004 Endeavor.

Time has come that I need to replace both tanks sensors. I am getting false readings and no matter what cleaner I use nothing helps. I even used a cleaner that stated fill tanks and let sit for a week or more but did not work.

I believe the sensors are behind the panel in the wet bay.Is that true?
Has any one done this type of repair? How big of a job , how messy and how many hours did it take to do the repair?I assume that since 2004 there are new type of sensors available that are better than the originals but unsure.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sensors are behind the big white panel, which may or may not be a big job. We have an '06 Endeavor and it wasn't too bad, but others say it's a lot of work (I cut mine so it folds partway, so that may have something to do with it).

You can just clean/replace the originals probes, they screw out easily. I've also heard of folks that add another spray-nozzle in the tank and point it right at the probes.

I got tired of fooling with the original sensors, and went with the See-Level system but found they can also read false as well. After many go-arounds with the mfgr who thought I had a defective system, I ended up cutting an access hole in the top of the tank to see in there. What I found was not for the faint-of-heart. There was a LOT of ... uuuhhhh... 'build-up' on the inside walls, even after several years of religiously-cleaning everything regularly. I'd say it was maybe 1/2" or so in most places, which was definitely enough to completely cover the original 'probe-type' sensors as well as mask any possibility of a reading from the capacitive-type See-Level ones.

I went thru 2-3 pairs of rubber gloves and got as much stuff off the walls as I could as far back as I could reach, and then hit the entire insides with a pressure-sprayer for awhile (it was my neighbor's and I didn't tell him where I stuck the nozzle).

Can't say it's super-super-clean now, but at least I get realistic readings from the See-Level and even every-so-often from the probes.

All that said, I still don't trust any of 'em, and because we full-time, I use the calendar method... so many days and it's time to dump.

Goodluck!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You are a brave man. My black tank sensor always says full. I know I can go 7 days easily before the tank is full. So 4 days is half full. I empty at that time. So sensors don't matter.
My grey tank sensors work fine.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My sensors were behind the white panels in the water/dump bay. I went to the hardware store and found 2" plastic plugs. I then drilled 2" holes with a hole saw and replaced the sensors and used the plugs to fill the holes, they are easily removable for future service.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I disconnected and left the original probes (which are not removable) and installed the Horst probes which extend an inch or more into the tank. These have worked perfectly for 2 years so far. They are also removable for cleaning if necessary. You do have to remove the big white service bay panel which takes a while. Lots of connections to disconnect and reconnect.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
YC1

Seems the sensors are near the cleanout and the sprayer is on the opposite end.
I added a second sprayer near the sensors. Using quick disconnects I can easily go from one to the other. I have found I just use the new one now.

Getting the white panel out of the way can take some time but is not impossible. I decided to add an inspection hole on the opposite side of the black tank. I bought one with a transparent screw out cover. I can easily get any clean out device needed to make sure the tank is clean. The gray tank is not an issue for me.Flexible Tank Wand - Valterra A01-0187VP - Sewer Flushing - Camping World This keeps it clean.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to look into the "See-Level" system. I am seriously considering this system for my coach. The tank sensors add on externally, do not penetrate the tanks and are supposed to work very good. No personal experience yet, but you might research and see what you think....

Link:https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/
Old 09-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I like your idea, hardy1000. Simple and effective.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hardy1000...

Are you talking about a snap in plastic plug? If so I assume you use silicon sealant to seal them once there in position.

I too added a second sprayer. It's mounted on the opposite side just like the factory one. I did however run new Pec water pipe from the streetside water bay so I could attach the water hose just like the original. I kept them separate so I'd have maximum pressure on each one. It's really helped.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
Hardy1000...

Are you talking about a snap in plastic plug? If so I assume you use silicon sealant to seal them once there in position.

I too added a second sprayer. It's mounted on the opposite side just like the factory one. I did however run new Pec water pipe from the streetside water bay so I could attach the water hose just like the original. I kept them separate so I'd have maximum pressure on each one. It's really helped.
Bob, I did add a snap in plastic plugs that fit without the silicone.....just got lucky or silicone it is.

Tags
tank