Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #1

Recently the indicators light on Gray and Black
tanks showed 1/3 to 2/3 full after dumping. Someone suggested pouring two bags of ice into
black tank at half full, then traveling short or long trip. Then empty tanks. The ice would clean the senors and give a accurate reading from the indicators. Before I try this has anyone else heard of this method. And does it work? I suspect the sensors are dirty and need cleaning. There could be other methods for cleaning. Any ideas.

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #2

Recently the indicators light on Gray and Black
tanks showed 1/3 to 2/3 full after dumping. Someone suggested pouring two bags of ice into
black tank at half full, then traveling short or long trip. Then empty tanks. The ice would clean the senors and give a accurate reading from the indicators. Before I try this has anyone else heard of this method. And does it work? I suspect the sensors are dirty and need cleaning. There could be other methods for cleaning. Any ideas.

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Old 05-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Well, the ice cube trick has worked for me about 80% of the time. Do you have a tank flush connection? I have also heard to use Calgon powdered water softner to clean the tanks and it is suppose to leave a slippery surface so nothing sticks to the sides.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #4

Thank you Wayne Lee. 80% is good. Yes, I do have flush connection. The Calgon water softner is a new one. Will give it a try. Again
thanks for your input.

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Old 05-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have tried a few different things, but still come up with lit lights after my tanks are empty. I recently found something that has worked pretty well: I dump the black tank. I turn off the pump (or you can cap the sewer outlet if you don't have a SaniCon) and open the grey valve. This sends a rush of grey water into the black tank. I leave the valve open until the levels equalize. I then close the grey valve and empty the black. I then repeat each time the black is empty, equalize the tanks, drain the black.

I think this works well by sending in grey water into the black tank and cleaning it up a bit. It also helps the grey tank by giving a quick rush of water out of the tank. It seems to me that the grey tank suffers from the water leaving pretty slowly (as opposed to using a regular sewer connection) and it builds up gunk on the sensors.

I don't do this every time, but rather usually just before I move locations. Has worked out pretty well so far. The first time I did it I wanted to take a picture of the readout panel because I had never seen both tanks register as empty since I had purchased the coach

--kevin

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #6

I keep a BOX of dish washer soap handy to put in the tanks with some water after dumping. The dry soap does not foam, so it cleans as you go down the road. s/Toby
Old 05-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I hate to sound like a late-nite InfoMercial, but ...

It may be just me, but I've tried most of the 'solutions' myself, and have even resorted to counting how many times we pottied while dry-camping, and nothing seemed to work well. Those false readings on the black and gray water tanks started to drive me crazy especially since we got this coach (not that the previous coaches were any better, I just need this one to do better since we are now full-timing). After extensive research, I finally broke down and bought the See-Level Gauge system for the tanks.

Install was quite easy (see the great install-writeups by some other folks here in irv2.com) and they work PERFECT! Simply stick the sensor-tapes on the black and gray water tanks, tie into the LP wire and 12vdc, and run it all the the display panel (or panels in my case, I got the outside display too), and voila! Flush the toilet twice? I can tell. Take too long of a shower? It will show it. (I think I really need to get a life! )

Anyways, the system is everything I'd hoped-for and then some. I even had a problem with one of the sensor-tapes (poor glue-bond, or more likely my bad workmanship) and after a quick phonecall to the factory, had a replacement in my hands the next day.

RVUpgrades stocks 'em.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Ron,,,
Which one did you get????? There are too many to choose from with the vague descriptions on each. I probably want more than the lowest one but probably don't need the top of the line either. They all sem the same when you read the descriptions, but all have different prices.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, it was a bit daunting at first. Seems each one is a teeny bit different than the next.

I'm pretty sure mine was the 709 Series - i just went to look at the display but it didn't have the model listed. It has buttons for BATT, FRESH, GRAY, BLACK and LPG. Some had other things or more tanks, but this is what I was looking for. Also got the extra display and mounted it in the wet-bay.

I didn't remove any of the existing wiring/sensors, so I could use the old monitor panel if I wanted to as well (why I don't know, it has always said the black is full and gray is 2/3 even as I drive away from the dump-station). I cut a hole in the inside black monitor-panel (thermostats, gen-switch, Inverter-panel, etc) and it looks like it's supposed to be there.

As mentioned, outside part was an easy install. Only issue was getting to the tank-sides. Had to remove the nice pretty white big panel covering the plumbing stuff to reach 'em. BTW, I learned that big plastic cover-panel will bend only just so far when trying to remove it. After that it makes a funny cracking noise (I made a funny noise too).

Someday I'll figure how to post pictures here.

Good luck with it.

(Hey RonNBama, you listening here? Get that chainsaw lubed-up, you might have a job!)

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:05 AM   #10

I, also, have installed the See Level 709 series gauges including a remote unit in the wet bay. I've had four MH's and the idiot lights for the tanks just don't seem to get the job done. The See Level gauges do. If someone can tell me how to post pictures, I'll post some pictures.
bg1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 AM   #11

To Ronboc and everyone else that replied, thank you for all the information. I just ordered the 709 series with extra display. It will take care of the problem quite well, thank you all again. Having been an Alpin owner, dealing with all the complaints, nothing positive to help you with, this last six months of getting aquainted with our Endeavor has been outstanding. Enjoying our travels and peace of mind. Safe Driving, good winds.

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club