Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 05:48 AM   #1
Happy to be here!

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Series 60 and 790r30 housing and filter

My primer pump died and the new one was paid for a month ago but Racor still does not have a date for delivery. Has anyone ever just filled the filter and fired it up without pressurizing?
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 06:20 AM   #2

I don't have a priming filter on our Series 60, never had any problems.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had zero luck getting my DD60 started without the primer functioning after a filter change. The problem I experienced was that when removing the filter all of the fuel would drain out upstream so filling the fuel filter still didn't help. I repaired my primer and also installed valves on either side of the filter. By closing the valves prior to removing the filter it makes for a much cleaner job by not having to rush to get the new filter on while your arm gets soaked with fuel.
I know this doesn't help your current dilemma but thought you might be interested in adding the valves. With valves and installing a pre filled filter you would not have to use a primer.
Regarding your primer, have you confirmed that the pump is bad? This can easily be done by providing power directly to the pump. The terminals on the plug are a bit tough to get to but I was able to plug in two small terminal connectors on leads that I then attached to a battery. I was able to confirm that I only needed the push button module.

Good luck!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #4

Yup if the level of fuel in the tank is below the level of the filter head, fuel WILL drain back to the tank.

If level of fuel in the tank is higher, it will run out the filter head. Messy, but no priming issues. Full fuel tank and/or have front of coach higher will do that.

BEST answer is to install a diesel-compatible ball valve on the inlet to the primary fuel filter. Turn it off before removing the filter-- no more fuel/air moving around! Also, a great anti-theft device.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #5
Happy to be here!

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks all for the replies. Yes, the pump is history. The ball valves are a great idea so now I have to ask since the coach is in storage, are the fittings 8 or 10?
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry. I donít recall the fitting size. My filter is mounted low so I would also get fuel draining from the secondary filter and the fuel rail. Hence the reason I installed two valves
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced primary filter a few times on my 04 Signature with a DD60. There is a valve at the secondary filter on my coach. I just close valve, remove primary filter and fill new filter all the way to the top thru small holes (takes awhile) then install. Open valve and DD60 starts right up. Never had a problem......

Good luck
Dave