Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Serpentine belt replace. How bad is it DIY

Lost the s belt on our 2008 Endeavor coming home from a remote location.
Diverted to a small town where I should be able to get the belt. How bad is it to change? I’ve got lots of experience but limited tools and I am getting up in age.
Suggestions?

Thanks
Dave
Dave Wilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #2

Is your rig a side radiator or rear radiator? If rear radiator, would recommend a professional do it.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Worst one I did was in a late model dodge pickup cummins when I changed his water pump in a campground - way to many things spinning under the hood.

An 08 ISC or ISL should be fairly simple and only require something to manage the tensioner even if it is rear radiator (which I’m pretty sure it is) probably a 1/2” ratchet.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #4

Google for belt routing if there's no sticker....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Google for belt routing if there's no sticker....
Yes, lack of sticker is definitely a party foul!
Old 08-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
YC1

Not that bad if you have a bit of a helper but a bit of a grunt for an old guy alone like me.

We have a 2008 Endeavor skq. Getting to the engine cover depending on the model can be tough.

I have been inside mine several times over the years and have it down. My closet doors have to come off and that was a trick the first time. I have used screws in different places since removing it the first time and trimmed a bit off some valance to get a bit more room.

Our skq has about 10-12 inches of cover under the edge of the closet. It was well hidden under carpet the first time. The carpet had not been cut around the additional opening so finding the edge was a treat. Once that was found it was discovered I did have to take the closet doors off.

With the closet doors out and the secondary floor cover removed you can hang over the front of the engine.

It is easy to take the fan blades off to get them out of the way. Carefully remove the 4 bolts holding it in place and put a couple of them back to hold the pulley in place.

You need a decent breaker bar or pipe over a socket wrench to move the idler pulley. I used a wratchet strap to move mine because I was alone.

Getting the right belt the first time will save some misery.

Our rv is the 400 isl rear radiator and you also have to take the rock guard off the bottom. I will see if I have any more information.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #7
YC1

Some of these files might help.

Look for the small yellow note pad and mouse over or click on them for pop up information,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Belt routing 400ISL.pdf (269.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Fan Belt and oil filter.pdf (335.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf Fan Belt part number.pdf (66.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf Fan Belt routing.pdf (130.5 KB, 16 views)

Old 08-14-2020, 11:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Worst one I did was in a late model dodge pickup cummins when I changed his water pump in a campground
Seriously ?

Why tell us about changing belts on a pickup truck??
Old 08-14-2020, 11:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Seriously ?

Why tell us about changing belts on a pickup truck??
Because it was far more complex, not my truck, didn’t have the routing lable, and yet I was able with a little help (someone above while I was under) to do it in the evening in a gravel campsite. Around 30 minutes including the water pump. The OP was asking about DIY difficulty - the pickup had a late model 6.7 and ISL is simple by comparison.

So yes, seriously.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:13 AM   #10

Rear radiator coach, your working through hatches in the closet, and under the engine.
Nothing like lifting the hood of a PU, or even changing the belt on a side rad coach like mine.
I can change mine in 10min with one long tool. Rear rad????
Old 08-15-2020, 12:21 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Rear radiator coach, your working through hatches in the closet, and under the engine.
Nothing like lifting the hood of a PU, or even changing the belt on a side rad coach like mine.
I can change mine in 10min with one long tool. Rear rad????
actually its fairly similar. Limited access above and below, in the case of the pickup because of all the other junk on the engine, and nothing from the front because of the radiator, just like a rear radiator coach. It’s just an example of a more difficult job that can be done by a DIY type.

Of course it does depend on the floor access - some coaches are better than others. But there is some benefit to having floor to lie on over the engine while you work, depending on what you are doing. I’m just speaking from experience. Your results may vary. But if I had my choice I’d rather do the coach.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Your results may vary. But if I had my choice I’d rather do the coach.
I've never had the pleasure of changing belts on a rear rad coach, so, I'll take your word for it.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Some of these files might help.

Look for the small yellow note pad and mouse over or click on them for pop up information,
Myron and Deborah, you are always there with all the info for me

Thank you

Currently in a town with a truck shop and hoping they can get me in and have the part. If not hopefully they have the part and I can take a kick at it

Again thank you all for the input, if I’m lucky they do it. If I’m less lucky I do it!
Dave Wilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:41 AM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wilkes View Post
Myron and Deborah, you are always there with all the info for me

Thank you

Currently in a town with a truck shop and hoping they can get me in and have the part. If not hopefully they have the part and I can take a kick at it

Again thank you all for the input, if I’m lucky they do it. If I’m less lucky I do it!

Glad to help, I live to serve. Paying it forward is always nice.

If I had a handy shop I would gladly have paid someone to change it. Probably a two hour job for an experienced person and they probably can get it from beneath and not have to take the top cover off. In my younger days it would have been much easier.

Fortunately I changed mine as a PM and did not have it fail.

Tags
diy, replace, ace