Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #15

Curious, does anyone have ANY clue where all these lag bolts come from in our tires?
I have had 3 in my lifetime, Big lag bolts. Seriously, how do they get on our roads and parking lots

In my case, my TPS sensors that were threaded on the valve stems caused me much more issues than any road debris. I had 4 low tires on my Signature over ~70K miles. ALL of them sensor leaks.

The sensors that go in the wheel Agreed, a task to install just to install if tires are not needed at the time.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I commend your attention to your tire maintenance and pressure. There is one eventuality that your morning checks don’t cover. On Highway tire damage. I overnighted at the Flying J in Black River Falls, WI and had been on the road less than an hour when my TPMS alarmed. Inside passenger side drive axle tire was low and falling. By the time I got off the interstate it was down to 80 psi. When I opened the door I could hear the leak.

A big lag bolt was driven into the center of the tread. About 4 hours & a new tire later we were back on the road with no damage except to my wallet.

At alternate scenario, using the morning psi check, the damaged tire would lose all pressure and it’s mate blows out due to severe overloading and friction from the deflated tire beside it. Possibly taking out the tag tire behind it. Damage to the coach sidewall. Possible damage to other vehicles.

Of course all of the above is just speculation because my TPMS gave me a heads up to the psi loss.

Just another perspective but I don’t drive without my TPMS functioning.
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #16

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Curious, does anyone have ANY clue where all these lag bolts come from in our tires?
I have had 3 in my lifetime, Big lag bolts. Seriously, how do they get on our roads and parking lots

In my case, my TPS sensors that were threaded on the valve stems caused me much more issues than any road debris. I had 4 low tires on my Signature over ~70K miles. ALL of them sensor leaks.

The sensors that go in the wheel Agreed, a task to install just to install if tires are not needed at the time.
Windecker

Depending on size and type of lag bolt might be able to trace to the company that has service trucks that use them.

RE TPMS sensor leaks. Were your problems from one company or different companies?
Where was the leak? internal to the sensor (sensor mfg fault) or leak where sensor screwed on? Worn valve stems or worn O rings in sensors or sensor not properly tightened. Loose ottoo tight.

A spray of Windex or soapy water with ID the location of the sensor leak which will help you learn what corrective action is needed.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #17

Roger (Tireman - from your blog I gather that is your name) - I see you tested the TireTraker system.

Given that I have 8 big tires on the Beaver, and it is pretty pricey to dismount that many large tires, plus the hassle of re-torquing the wheels, the external option is appealing.

I have a question not answered on your post or their site do the sensors cause an imbalance on either large wheel tire combos (295/80R 22.5) or car sized wheel tire combos?

You've convinced me I need to do this.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #18

So, in spite of your blog, I checked my tire pressures in advance of leaving tomorrow. Was down a few pounds in a couple of tires but all within my target range.

I added a bit of air, but my fancy Milton inflator with double headed chuck is leaking air from the side of the chuck that I don't use.

I'm looking to replace it with a fitting that really tightly clamps to the valve stem so I don't have to kneel beside the tires when inflating (I am not as limber as I once was). Right now I'm back to kneeling.

Any thoughts on a really good air tight fitting? Ideally I'd like one that threads on the the valve stem. The cheap ones at Harbor Freight don't hold, and this one now leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	225543  
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #19

Tow points, I have been using TST on my coach and toad for about 4 years and over 40,000 miles with no issues at all. Work perfectly, since they are flow through I can add air easily if needed, hardly ever. And two, find an air chuck that has ridges inside, that way you can attach it to the valve stem with a slight sideways movement. You don't have to hold it, then a slight sideways movement lets it disengage.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #20

Ouch, find a service truck to accuse them of dropping bolts

In my case, I used these from Tire-Safe Guard from HCI. In most cases it was leaking out of the soldered, brazed, pressed whatever seams.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire sensor.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	225597
I had a few leak at the o ring upon installation, had one or two leak out of the filler valve area (valve core) and HCI replaced them easy enough. Those were out of box failures, not included in my concerns.

My concern is really the rouge failures out of the manufactured seams after several months of use The sensor worked, they did tell me I had a low tire. Never mind it was the sensor causing the low tire

I embrace the technology, just maybe need a different manufacture.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Depending on size and type of lag bolt might be able to trace to the company that has service trucks that use them.

RE TPMS sensor leaks. Were your problems from one company or different companies?
Where was the leak? internal to the sensor (sensor mfg fault) or leak where sensor screwed on? Worn valve stems or worn O rings in sensors or sensor not properly tightened. Loose ottoo tight.

A spray of Windex or soapy water with ID the location of the sensor leak which will help you learn what corrective action is needed.
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #21

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Roger (Tireman - from your blog I gather that is your name) - I see you tested the TireTraker system.

Given that I have 8 big tires on the Beaver, and it is pretty pricey to dismount that many large tires, plus the hassle of re-torquing the wheels, the external option is appealing.

I have a question not answered on your post or their site do the sensors cause an imbalance on either large wheel tire combos (295/80R 22.5) or car sized wheel tire combos?

You've convinced me I need to do this.

No you do not need to rebalance your tires after adding external sensors. Some are heavier than others so if that is a concerssimply go with the lighter weight sensors. Flow thru seem to be heavier in general.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #22

You don’t realize how important your tire pressures are until you start driving an electric vehicle. You can literally watch your km per kWh change from one day to the next just by putting your pressures up where they are supposed to. Interesting.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Interesting chart but only applies if you are setting pressure in a heated garage and it is a lot colder outside. The adjustments would not apply if you were outside. I note that their table follows the 2% inflation for 10F change that I cover in my blog.
OK, I know this is a bit of an old thread, but trying to bone up a little more on over-inflation, changes due to temp changes, etc.

For my RV, I'm 120 for steers and 85 for drive/tag (roughly 10 PSI over load chart on each)

I keep my RV in a heated garage, and I typically keep it at about 55*.

So, if I'm checking my temps in there and then say am leaving to where it's 25* outside, I would want to increase my inflation by 6%?

127 for steers and 90 for drive/tag?

If I was heading out into 15* temps, then 8% over inflation in warm garage, or 130 for steers and 92 on drive/tag?

Does this sound right?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure