Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #1

Sewer Odor

Hey Folks,
Somebody's gotta help me.
New to me 40' pusher, after camping for a couple of days without being able to dump the black tank, while traveling down the road for the first few hours we get a funk smell that is almost unbearable. We put the blue stuff in prior to using the commode and do allot of spraying but nothing helps.
Is this normal?
I'm almost at the point of not letting my lady use the pot. I mean, I know it can't be my doing. She eats all that health food stuff and we all know what that does.

Input?
Jim
jimwrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #2

Not normal at all, check the vent first....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
May not be the black tank, the gray tank can smell pretty bad. I had the trap for the washer dry up and it would smell like S**T! I had to put alittle water in the trap from time to time and all was well. Other than that, the vent may need to be looked at. I read where someone put some kind of perfume in one tank to help track down the smell.
Good luck
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You have to study and understand your specific drain, toilet and tank system installed in you coach.

My BLACK system has a toilet that dumps directly into the Black Tank. You need to ensure that the rooftop vent is clear along with the vent pipe coming from the Black Tank. You also need to ensure that the toilet holds water inside the bowl.

The Grey Tank system is a little more involved. Each drain has a trap which needs to be filled with water at all times. That includes the combo washer/dryer if you have one. There are also Mechanical Vents which need to operate correctly. If one fails it will allow fumes into the coach. Usually there are two or more depending on your floor-plan. The Grey Tank also has a rooftop vent similar to the Black Tank which needs to be clear all os the time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Jim,

Your Dynasty is older than mine but here's what I found with mine as I had the same issue occasionally while driving. My rooftop drain vent was directly behind my fridge vent and was lower in height than the fridge vent. I have two theories for what was happening. 1) depending on the wind speed/direction there would be a low pressure area created behind the fridge vent which would pull the drain vent gases down the fridge compartment and into the passenger compartment. 2) the pressure would increase in the drain vent and back flow through the drains. Either way, I added a rotating drain vent at the beginning of the year and we've now traveled over 4K miles with zero smells inside whatsoever.

Good luck... and your right to stay away from the health food .
Glenn
Old 07-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #6

Jim,
You are great at asking questions, but you never come back to a thread to elaborate or ask any further questions, or even say "thanks". It is very difficult to be helpful when you cannot establish a dialog with the person asking the question.

I will wait until you indicate that you want more information on your washer issue, your toilet floor issue or this one.
Bob
Bob&AnnaMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said, it could be the traps or the vents. I would also highly recomment the Happy Camper tank treatment for both the black and gray tanks.

https://www.5starhappycamper.com/

This is available from Amazon now!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
Jim,
You are great at asking questions, but you never come back to a thread to elaborate or ask any further questions, or even say "thanks". It is very difficult to be helpful when you cannot establish a dialog with the person asking the question.

I will wait until you indicate that you want more information on your washer issue, your toilet floor issue or this one.
Bob
Bob-- Well stated -- It`s amazing how many on this & other forums ask for help, get good replies, & then never hear from them again, untill more help is needed -- I`m not looking for a thank you, but it would be nice to know if, & how their problem was resolved -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
Jim,

Bob

Bob, I can certainly understand how you feel, but sometimes there may be circumstances that we're not aware of. He only asked the question at 6:49PM yesterday so he could have been busy last night and left for work early this morning and just hasn't had time to come back and look at the responses. In the interest of keeping this forum the "friendliest RV forum on the web", maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt! Of course, you may know something I don't about his past performance and I don't want to criticize you when I might not have all the facts! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #11

Joe,

This poster has three "open" threads (look at his profile) with no communication on any of them and with only minimalistic information in the question. Yes, he may be away from an internet connection (I certainly had lousy wi-fi on our last trip.), but it does not seem like this is the situation. His post on his washer is dated 6-28-14 and there is no dialog on that one either.

I love this forum and really appreciate the input I get here. But, folks like this make wanting to take the time to share information on how to resolve their problem questionable. I used to have a policy of never posting until the original poster cam back with a clarification or some response. I guess, for my serenity, I need to go back to that policy. (I know I shouldn't vent here, but if what he says on his posts are true, he has some definite issues.)

Bob
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Here is a video you might be interested in...

Hope it might help you out.

Richard
Old 07-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #13

Knowing all the facts can save what should be a bunch of embarrassment. Some folks are overwhelmed with issues.
If you don't feel a poster is doing his fair part, just move on. If you are correct, in your possibly inapropriate judgement, he'll be the one who misses out on your valuable experiemce.
Jim
jimwrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwrye View Post
Knowing all the facts can save what should be a bunch of embarrassment. Some folks are overwhelmed with issues.
If you don't feel a poster is doing his fair part, just move on. If you are correct, in your possibly inapropriate judgement, he'll be the one who misses out on your valuable experiemce.
Jim
Works for me.

Tags
odor