RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Shabby Window Frames

The paint on my 20 year old coach looks pretty good, the window frames not so much. They are faded and flat looking, but I don't really want to paint them. I wiped some 303 on the driver's window and it made a big difference in appearance, but I don't know how long that will last. Anyone refurbish the look of their frames?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
The paint on my 20 year old coach looks pretty good, the window frames not so much. They are faded and flat looking, but I don't really want to paint them. I wiped some 303 on the driver's window and it made a big difference in appearance, but I don't know how long that will last. Anyone refurbish the look of their frames?
I do the 303 about 2x a year and it seems to hold up nicely. But this garage princess has been stored indoors when not in use, so fading has been minimal.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #3

Would back to black work for you?
Old 09-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #4

Have you tried waxing the black window frames? My coach is a garage queen also and the frames look really good. When I wax the coach I can tell the frames look better than before.

Chad
onechaddude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Have you tried waxing the black window frames? My coach is a garage queen also and the frames look really good. When I wax the coach I can tell the frames look better than before.

Chad
Chad,

Are you asking me?

When the coach was new, I tried waxing them but it's a bugger to get all the wax residue out of the groves. I had white lines on all the frames. Maybe there's a better wax? That's when I started using the 303. It seems to hold up well and makes a noticeable improvement and super easy to apply.

Years ago, when I was a kid, we used Armore All on the boats and cars we had. Back then, everyone like the 'shiny' or 'wet' look. I never did, and still don't today.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Would back to black work for you?
This stuff may help.

I have a bottle. Going to try it on my wiper arms.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The 303 still looks good after 24 hours. Maybe it’ll last awhile.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Chad,

Are you asking me?

When the coach was new, I tried waxing them but it's a bugger to get all the wax residue out of the groves. I had white lines on all the frames. Maybe there's a better wax? That's when I started using the 303. It seems to hold up well and makes a noticeable improvement and super easy to apply.

Years ago, when I was a kid, we used Armore All on the boats and cars we had. Back then, everyone like the 'shiny' or 'wet' look. I never did, and still don't today.
WindsorBill, I used NuFinish on mine a few years ago and it seemed like it worked pretty well. That was several years ago. It held up awhile but could stand it again. It's definitely an undertaking waxing the whole coach. I was simply asking if you'd tried it and if it worked. Sorry for confusion.

Chad
onechaddude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
WindsorBill, I used NuFinish on mine a few years ago and it seemed like it worked pretty well. That was several years ago. It held up awhile but could stand it again. It's definitely an undertaking waxing the whole coach. I was simply asking if you'd tried it and if it worked. Sorry for confusion.

Chad
No worries. I use the NuFinish on the coach as well. But waxing the window frames are a chore--at least removing the dry wax.

If you have some 303. try it on the frames. It hasn't let me down and is so much easier.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #10

303 works for a while, until it rains. There are some car waxes that don't dry to a powder so those may work. There are times I have just bit the bullet and waxed the frames. Done a couple each day to spread out the load, and yes, it's a bear to get the white off.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I wax my coach at least four times a year with Turtle Wax Ice. Its a spray wax that doesn't turn white and it is pretty easy to use. Takes me about 2-3 hours to wax the whole coach, roof and all.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #12

I haven't used this product but it may be what you want .

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/an...ndowframes.htm

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:37 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
What is the result?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
This stuff may help.

I have a bottle. Going to try it on my wiper arms.

How did the wiper arms turn out with the Back To Black?

My wiper arms are SUPER faded. And the window frames are not so black with even some rubbing off of the black paint, so I am curious...

Back to Black is for plastic, right?

Aren't our 2000-2002 window frames a type of metal?
Old 09-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #14

You could renew the window trim paint with very fine hand rubbing compound like old #7 . Then some type of glaze . At body shop we had a couple horse hair brushes to remove compound splatter and wax stuck in creases. Worked best when fresh. If kept clean brushes wouldn't scratch paint.
My wiper arms and blades with rubber removed.I just painted with Rustoleum semi gloss black easy peasy. I found silicone rubber refill rubber for Dyna brand beam type wiper blades.
There are nicer more expensive spray paints that has exact look and color of automotive black metal trim. It seems to reflects more blue color than plain old black paint, more like gun bluing looks.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, wind, window