Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Sharp Carousel Microwave Convection Problem

Hello All,

I have an 04 Diplomat and we are on our first trip and used the microwave convection oven for the first time. Used it for the first time as a convection oven and was cooking a lasagna for about 45 minutes, after about 40 minutes it shut off and will not start. After letting it cool down I discovered the outlet it is plugged into has one outlet and is labeled "inverter" I had a hard time pulling the plug out of the outlet and discovered the plastic was melted from the outlet onto one of the prongs. I am honestly a little shocked, why didn't it pop a circuit breaker before melting the plastic on the outlet. Is the wiring for the Monaco Diplomat correct for the microwave oven that the factory installed? Not really sure what to do, has any one else had the same problem? I feel it could have come close to burning my motor home down. As a new full timer I am VERY concerned with this electrical system as this is my only home.
Hansville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #2

Hansville,
Yes, that is the way it should be wired. As long as you are hooked to shore power, it is not actually using the inverter. 120V is simply passed through, not actually inverted from the batts.
Don't know which inverter you have, but there should be three pop-out breakers on it, one 30 for the incoming power, (protects the inverter itself) and 2-20 amp for the 2 circuits the inverter feeds. One of these is for the microwave only.
This may have been something as simple as a loose wire on that receptacle. Or the micro may have been pulling more than it should.

Do you know the diff between a 20 amp plug and a 15 Amp?
This is a 15 The 20 has one lug that looks like a T laying on its side. Which one is in that outlet box??
Attached Images

Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansville View Post
Hello All,

I have an 04 Diplomat and we are on our first trip and used the microwave convection oven for the first time. Used it for the first time as a convection oven and was cooking a lasagna for about 45 minutes, after about 40 minutes it shut off and will not start. After letting it cool down I discovered the outlet it is plugged into has one outlet and is labeled "inverter" I had a hard time pulling the plug out of the outlet and discovered the plastic was melted from the outlet onto one of the prongs. I am honestly a little shocked, why didn't it pop a circuit breaker before melting the plastic on the outlet. Is the wiring for the Monaco Diplomat correct for the microwave oven that the factory installed? Not really sure what to do, has any one else had the same problem? I feel it could have come close to burning my motor home down. As a new full timer I am VERY concerned with this electrical system as this is my only home.
Hansville,

Sorry for your troubles. It is quite possible that your microwave is not drawing more current than it should and that is why the circuit breaker did not trip. One of the wires on the back of the outlet could have been loose or for some reason the plug could have been making a poor connection. This will produce heat and eventually melt the connection. The first thing to do is replace the outlet with a good quality one and if the plug on the microwave is damaged replace it. While you are at this you need to go to your AC circuit breaker panel and check the tightness of all the connections. Many have had over heating problems there which can lead to a fire. Also remove the cover on the transfer switch and check for tight connections there. Be sure the shore power, inverter, and the generator are off while doing this. If you are not comfortable with electrical circuits then find someone who is.

By the way, these connections should be checked once a year on an RV.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the very informative replies. We have a magnum inverter in our motor home. We are currently plugged into a 50 amp service camp site. I just checked the inverter and yes it did have a popped out fuse that is 20 amp, I pushed the fuse back in and plugged in the microwave and it still works. I am a bit concerned about the melted plastic around one of the prongs on the outlet it is not melted to the point that the microwave could not be plugged and used, I am concerned about the heat at the outlet and of course fire from that heat. I am happy the outlet is protected and not as disappointed in Monaco, I purchased the motor home a year ago and thought it was a very high quality motor home. Do you think I should replace the outlet or is it OK with a little melting of the plastic? Is it possible the outlet itself has a loose connection or did we use the convection oven for too long at one time and the wiring simply heated up after about 45 minutes.Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansville View Post
Thanks for the very informative replies. We have a magnum inverter in our motor home. We are currently plugged into a 50 amp service camp site. I just checked the inverter and yes it did have a popped out fuse that is 20 amp, I pushed the fuse back in and plugged in the microwave and it still works. I am a bit concerned about the melted plastic around one of the prongs on the outlet it is not melted to the point that the microwave could not be plugged and used, I am concerned about the heat at the outlet and of course fire from that heat. I am happy the outlet is protected and not as disappointed in Monaco, I purchased the motor home a year ago and thought it was a very high quality motor home. Do you think I should replace the outlet or is it OK with a little melting of the plastic? Is it possible the outlet itself has a loose connection or did we use the convection oven for too long at one time and the wiring simply heated up after about 45 minutes.Thanks again.
A properly sized outlet should operate at the rated power of the microwave without over heating the plug and the outlet. In my opinion there was a resistive connection in the outlet that caused it to over heat. As I suggested I would replace the outlet with a good quality 20 amp outlet and it sounds like the plug on the microwave may be damaged. If you don't replace the outlet the problem may repeat. At a minimum you should remove the outlet from the wall and check the tightness of the screws. If it were mine I would replace it and clean the black and white wires to show clean copper again. I bet you will find evidence of over heating on either the black or the white wire.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob hit the nail on the head, a loose terminal wire screw or the new wire "push in " style outlet that poorly retains contact is a high resitance/ heat generator. The loosening of terminal connections and resulting fires in homes with alum wiring lead to a recall and ban of alum wire(corrosion). The main terminals of the batt, inverter, transfer switch, gen set should be on a yearly maintainace list checking for corosion and tightness. good luck on replacing the outlet (20 amp).
Old 08-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
After one electrical fire costing $10,300. (Insurance paid). and another mellting my bathroom GFI outlet, I have checked almost every outlet in the RV. I found two more that had loose connections reqjuiring the outlet be replaced.
chuckbraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hello,

Finally got around to pulling the plug outlet out of the wall after the circuit breaker poped again. It works fine when used as a micro wave but once you use it as an oven it pops the breaker. The outlet box has no screws holding the wires instead it has metal guides that cut into the insulation to contact the wires, I have never seen this type of conection before. One of the holes where the blade enters is a bit melted and black. It seems to me this is an inferior way to make a good contact with the wire as compared to a screw that is tightened to firmly hold the wire. I feel there is a very small contact surface area and when you need more amps it pops the breaker. Has anyone else has a similar problem?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I have not had that problem with my outlets, but while you have the outlet removed, replace it with a home outlet with screws and tighten them down.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
I have not had that problem with my outlets, but while you have the outlet removed, replace it with a home outlet with screws and tighten them down.
Yes, this is the best way, IMHO.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #11

Do you mean burned like this.

That's what my microwave outlet looked like when I removed it. Below is another shot showing how badly it was burned and also a photo of the amperage, which is 15 amps, not the 20 amps that others have said. Don't know it it was undersized in the first place, but I can tell you one wire was barely pushed down into the slot. While the microwave plug wasn't welded into the outlet, it was bear to remove.

It did prove to be good for something because when I checked the other outlets, one had the piece of plastic that swings out to lock it into place broken off, which was why it was loose. Took one off this one to fix it.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The photo above is exactly what my problem was, I went to home depot and picked out a good quality 20 amp outlet and installed it.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Problem solved, never open the door while cooking in the convection oven without pushing the stop button. If the door is opened durring the cooking cycle and then closing the door to resume cooking will blow the fuse every time. If the oven is used properly there will be no problem.