Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2022, 10:56 AM   #1

Shock replacement help

I know this info is somewhere in the group but searched, missing it.
POTHOLES are killing us here in TN. I want to replace shocks with KONI...2002 Windsor 40DP, Roadmaster chassis. Online "Shockwarehouse" has several choices. Anyone with experience info would really help...They say RR8S chassis but I cannot verify that on my coach itself. (how to verify?) Thanks for any info. Tommy
Ttommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2022, 11:01 AM   #2

https://www.monacocoach.com/library/...02_Windsor.pdf
Old 04-05-2022, 04:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniedmo View Post
Thanks very much. According to that info this has 8 air bags thus I assume the RR8S Roadmaster chassis, and Shockwarehouse has that listed under the Koni brand available. I am sure there are other sources for those shocks...We will see.
Love this coach, only 46K miles and a beautiful high quality coach.
Very much appreciated help Tommy
Old 04-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #4

Tommy I just ordered shocks from Ultra RV products. I spoke with Ken he was very helpful.
I have read posts that Shock warehouse can be unreliable and have poor customer service.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kramer View Post
Tommy I just ordered shocks from Ultra RV products. I spoke with Ken he was very helpful.
I have read posts that Shock warehouse can be unreliable and have poor customer service.
Thanks VERY much. That is the kind of info I was looking for. I will call them today. I agree and think most of the businesses that have "xxxxWarehouse" ) in their name have "caution" mark against them to start with!! Tnx Tommy
Old 04-07-2022, 03:48 AM   #6

When he says unreliable several posts of "in stock" but very long delays and holding to buyers money when asking for a refund. Then lack of communication. With 8-10 shocks on some. MH it's a lot of money.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:15 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This has been mentioned many times on the forum. Call Brazels, they usually stock the koni's. They are experts in th Roadmaster chassis and will know exactly what you need. They will even ship them to you by ground at no cost, and they are heavy.

As for the ride after installation of Koni shocks. It's incredibly. You'll wish you had installed them a long time ago.

https://www.brazelsrv.com/Koni-8805-...g-Front-(03-14)
surftalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttommy View Post
Thanks very much. According to that info this has 8 air bags thus I assume the RR8S Roadmaster chassis, and Shockwarehouse has that listed under the Koni brand available. I am sure there are other sources for those shocks...We will see.
Love this coach, only 46K miles and a beautiful high quality coach.
Very much appreciated help Tommy
You have a semi monacoque chassis. not the RR8S. Monaco didn't use the RR8S chassis in the windsor until 2003 or 2004.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:18 AM   #9

Thanks for all the good help and suggestions. I did call UltraRV per Rusty suggestion and they were really helpful and pleasant. Confirmed my numbers I got from the first company (with coach info I sent them) and I will likely order from them. They were $170 per shock, need to recheck abt shipping. I will also call BarzelsRV as suggested by surftalks.
Now I am confused about the RR8S chassis. SO I need to check that out with the suppliers to make sure I am asking for the right shock. Two places confirmed Koni 8804 1004FSD (Front) and1005 FSD rear...two for each wheel, 8 total.
Any comments on difficulty installing? I have a good mobile mechanic but this may be better done in a diesel truck shop...including alignment.
Tnx for help...and I will report back next week. Tommy
Old 04-09-2022, 10:33 AM   #10

Tommy,

I think the main difference in the S series vs the RR8 is the "house frame" is all welded steel on the S series. The RR8 is a bolted on aluminum structure.

The S series is referred as Semi Monacoque. SP? I have also seen some literature and as I remember the Main frame rails on the S series might have been slightly larger and or thicker wall tubing.

I think the Shocks are probably the same for each if the mounting was not changed for some reason. You might want to double check and Monaco was not really consistent in their building process it seems.

The info I have seen is that the Windsor changed to the aluminum frame in 2003 as stated.

Pretty sure the RR8S is side rad and RR8R is rear radiator. S series would all be side radiator and upper structure welded steel.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttommy View Post
I know this info is somewhere in the group but searched, missing it.
POTHOLES are killing us here in TN. I want to replace shocks with KONI...2002 Windsor 40DP, Roadmaster chassis. Online "Shockwarehouse" has several choices. Anyone with experience info would really help...They say RR8S chassis but I cannot verify that on my coach itself. (how to verify?) Thanks for any info. Tommy
bilstein shocks 2000 dynasty 114.00
Filipak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #12

I purchased Bilsteins from Source Engineering. The owner use to work for Monaco and the shocks I purchased had been specifically tuned by Bilstein for the RR8 chassis. I installed they they ride really well.
Coreyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:06 AM   #13
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyph View Post
I purchased Bilsteins from Source Engineering. The owner use to work for Monaco and the shocks I purchased had been specifically tuned by Bilstein for the RR8 chassis. I installed they they ride really well.

I bought those and have been very happy with them.

I believe they road tested them near Sacramento Ca and know the roads they were testing them on. Many years ago now of course. The ride has been very comfortable.

The original shocks were shot at 17K miles. I mean they were done, kaput, just a piece of metal going up and down.

The shocks took the bouncy up and down out quite a bit and the pot holes were calmed down.

The addition of Source Engineering's sway bars really made the handling much better and hitting those deep bridge abutments was improved. In the past the coach would have to be slowed severely after hitting one of those roller coaster pot holes. I had mental notes where those holes were before and after the sway bars. Huge difference.

As for the S turns, that is a totally different chapter addressed on this forum.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyph View Post
Yeah, I've read in a few places that said Source Engineering worked with Bilstein to develop valving for the Monaco chassis and has an exclusive on the product. They should be able to tell you pretty quickly what will work!
Cheers,
Walter

Tags
ace, replace, replacement