RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #1

Shocks

New to the RV world and bought a Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 footer with the 325hp Cummins on a Roadmaster monocoque chassis. I'm wanting to know if bad shocks will cause the air ride system to be overworked? RV has 4 up front, but not sure on the rear...?? Thank you for any input you might have...Dave

wooftexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Dave that is a Roadmaster Chassis 4 air bags on the front and 4 in the rear with one ride height valve in front and 2 in the rear. You didnt say what year but from the engine you have suspect it is around a 98 or 99 and it a good chance it time for a replacement but dont worry about it hurting the air bags. One thing you do need to worry about is the air dryer if it is still a Haladex Pure Air Plus the coalescing and dessicant filter nees to be changed ever 2 to 3 yrs acording to where you live (in the Desert 3 yrs) if this is not done its a good chance the coalescing will rupture when it gets full of oil and crap contaminating the Pure Air body (only fix is a new air dryer) and could hang the unloader wide open depleting the air in the system and when that happends your brakes will shut you down and without a bypass you are not going anywhere. I know you didnt ask for this but this is a area that is normal forgoten and it can ruin a trip.
I would susgest Bielstein comfort shocks
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/bilstein_info.cfm

walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dave! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't answer your question but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #5

Thanks Walt. Yes it is a 98 with 70k on it. Drives perfect and floats like a cloud down the road. But not having anything to compare it to...not sure if the shocks need to be replaced or not?? I'm just assuming that they are original and might need replacement. It sits straight, doesn't list or lean either way. I'm currently bringing it up to date on all maintenance and giving it some TLC to get it looking nice again.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #6

I test of shock function is see if it rebounds more then once when driving over a hump or down a dip in the road. If it seems to rebound more then once, the shocks are not resisting it.

Oil running down the sides of them is also a clear sign of failure.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Dave i PM you, look at the right top for private messages and click on it.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 10 bagger/10 shocks on our 2003 Dynasty. The shocks weren't terrible but I could tell on the bumps at bridge overpasses that the shocks were allowing a little too much rebound.

So we took a long weekend trip down to Henderson's in Grants Pass to see if there was anything else going on besides maybe new shocks. I've read enough to know I could do the shocks but I wasn't sure if there was anything else going on. Once they get the front end jacked up, they let you down underneath to see whats going on. Interesting enough we had a couple of zerk fittings that had no grease in them, a little play in another fitting that we went ahead and had replaced. I also got the Safe-T-Plus steering device installed.

Long and short of it, it makes a nice difference. The bumps on bridge overpasses are way less noticable, the steering is tighter, and it wants to stay centered more easily now. I do notice a little more pressure required for sweeping turns on the freeway but I love the almost no hands on the straight aways. It came down for me that a wear item that is over 14 years old should just get replaced. Now I'm hoping that the shocks last another 14 years, or realistically, for as long as we'll be the coach's owners.

If anyone would like some feedback on Henderson's, private message me and I'll give you some tips based on my experience.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
What brand / model shocks did you have installed? The Bilstein?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #10

Shocks

CountryB, haven't replaced them yet but will prolly use Koni shocks or maybe the Bilsteins. My RV is an 8 bagger and 8 shock chassis...$$$$
Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robisinwa View Post
We have a 10 bagger/10 shocks on our 2003 Dynasty. The shocks weren't terrible but I could tell on the bumps at bridge overpasses that the shocks were allowing a little too much rebound.

So we took a long weekend trip down to Henderson's in Grants Pass to see if there was anything else going on besides maybe new shocks. I've read enough to know I could do the shocks but I wasn't sure if there was anything else going on. Once they get the front end jacked up, they let you down underneath to see whats going on. Interesting enough we had a couple of zerk fittings that had no grease in them, a little play in another fitting that we went ahead and had replaced. I also got the Safe-T-Plus steering device installed.

Long and short of it, it makes a nice difference. The bumps on bridge overpasses are way less noticable, the steering is tighter, and it wants to stay centered more easily now. I do notice a little more pressure required for sweeping turns on the freeway but I love the almost no hands on the straight aways. It came down for me that a wear item that is over 14 years old should just get replaced. Now I'm hoping that the shocks last another 14 years, or realistically, for as long as we'll be the coach's owners.

If anyone would like some feedback on Henderson's, private message me and I'll give you some tips based on my experience.
You know; I'm thinking my Imperial must have the steering upgrade you're talking about because it does drive effortlessly down the road and the steering is straight and tight. I'm constantly amazed at how easy it handles to be so big. Love it!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I test of shock function is see if it rebounds more then once when driving over a hump or down a dip in the road. If it seems to rebound more then once, the shocks are not resisting it.

Oil running down the sides of them is also a clear sign of failure.
I don't see any oil running down shocks and it is not rebounding more than once on dips. I think the shocks are good at this point. Previous owner must have replaced them at some point. It has had 2 previous owners and I bought from a dealer where it was traded in...
Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooftexx View Post
New to the RV world and bought a 98 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 footer with the 325hp Cummins on a Roadmaster monocoque chassis. I'm wanting to know if bad shocks will cause the air ride system to be overworked? RV has 4 up front, but not sure on the rear...?? Thank you for any input you might have...Dave
Also; now my ABS light is on and won't go off. Any ideas?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
CountryB - We got the Koni's. I was a little worried that they may be too stiff but after a couple hundred miles, doesn't feel stiff, just feels tight and in control if that makes sense. When you think of how much weight is moving around going down the road, more control the better.

Wooftexx - I've had the light on before... single wire broke loose on the sensor on a wheel. Hard to see without having it on a lift or crawling around underneath... it wasn't dangling, it was just broke with say 1/4-1/2 gap so hard to spot unless looking right at it and well lite.

Tags
shocks