Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 01:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Shore plug-in popping GFI...??

Hi all.... I have a 2000 Monaco Windsor and when I have it parked in my heated shop I us a plug adapter to adapt down so I can plug it into a normal outlet just to let the charger/maintainer to get it charged up. On occasion, when I plug it in it pops the GFI on the outlet. It has not done it all summer and when I pulled it into the shed the final time for storage it now pops the GFI. Normally it seems to correct itself if I take it on a trip and come back it seems to be fine. From my trouble shooting the GFI pops when the inverter tries to power up. Meaning when I plug it in there is maybe a 30 second delay and then once the inverter tries to power up POP goes the GFI.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
bjwurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That's a common problem when pluged into a 120v 15/20 amp outlet with gfi protection. I think it has to do with the breaker box in the mh is bonded?
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwurtz View Post
Hi all.... I have a 2000 Monaco Windsor and when I have it parked in my heated shop I us a plug adapter to adapt down so I can plug it into a normal outlet just to let the charger/maintainer to get it charged up. On occasion, when I plug it in it pops the GFI on the outlet. It has not done it all summer and when I pulled it into the shed the final time for storage it now pops the GFI. Normally it seems to correct itself if I take it on a trip and come back it seems to be fine. From my trouble shooting the GFI pops when the inverter tries to power up. Meaning when I plug it in there is maybe a 30 second delay and then once the inverter tries to power up POP goes the GFI.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
As ArtJoyce mentions, that's a common complaint.

Why not add a 30 or 50 amp outlet to your shop?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The other option is to add a non-gfi outlet. But that does not meet NEC.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #5

If installed it could be your surge protector doing its test.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #6

Has the GFI been replaced before?

You mentioned that it's during the short interval when the inverter is trying
to supply power to the coach that it trips. That makes me think you may have a weak or the wrong GFI.

Inverter manufactures have a list of GFCIs that will work.
Some may look identical and be the same brand but will trip on inverter power.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You mention it Is OK after a trip. Probably because your batteries are fully charged. Do you reduce your charge rate when plugging into 15A? The charger/inverter will pull more than 15A if the batteries are low. I turn mine down to 50 or 60% when plugged into 15A.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
What a coincidence, mine did it yesterday, Iím about 120 miles east of you!

I wondered if my gfi was badÖ.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Walt, it seems to be completely random, but not gonna rule out that it is when batteries are low. How do you "turn down" to 50-60%? I would like to try that and see if it solves my issue. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Has the GFI been replaced before?

You mentioned that it's during the short interval when the inverter is trying
to supply power to the coach that it trips. That makes me think you may have a weak or the wrong GFI.

Inverter manufactures have a list of GFCIs that will work.
Some may look identical and be the same brand but will trip on inverter power.
I have plugged it into 4 or 5 different outlets and it pops every one, but thanks for the info.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
As ArtJoyce mentions, that's a common complaint.

Why not add a 30 or 50 amp outlet to your shop?
The interesting thing about that is that the 30A or 50A receptacle circuit has no GFCI protection normally. So 'upgrading' to a larger circuit avoids the requirement for GFCI protection. The only functional difference for this application is lack of GFCI protection with the coach plugged into a heavier circuit, and that could be accomplished by simply replacing the 15A receptacle with a non-GFCI type, assuming it's not on a GFCI breaker.

Not that I'm recommending on a public forum that someone intentionally violate the NEC or eliminate a safety feature, of course, but it's interesting that one type of receptacle is OK without GFCI protection while another is not, when powering the same load for the same purpose in the same location.

So far, at least, though I've heard rumblings about the heavier RV circuits moving to GFCI.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
The interesting thing about that is that the 30A or 50A receptacle circuit has no GFCI protection normally. So 'upgrading' to a larger circuit avoids the requirement for GFCI protection. The only functional difference for this application is lack of GFCI protection with the coach plugged into a heavier circuit, and that could be accomplished by simply replacing the 15A receptacle with a non-GFCI type, assuming it's not on a GFCI breaker.

Not that I'm recommending on a public forum that someone intentionally violate the NEC, of course, but it's interesting that one type of receptacle is OK without GFCI protection while another is not, when powering the same load for the same purpose in the same location.

So far, at least, though I've heard rumblings about the heavier RV circuits moving to GFCI.

It's because the 15 or 20 amp duplex receptacle can accept all types of user equipment but the 30 and 50 amp can only accept an RV or a dedicated appliance. Code has already recently added many more GFCI requirements but for now the RV hookups have been excepted.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #13

I haven't kept up with the NEC but I believe it allows for a refrigerator outlet that is not GFIC protected. Most of the shops I've been in that have GFIC outlets not breakers. The GFIC is the first outlet. Just swap it out with the next outlet downstream. I'm not sure if it is required to label the outlet as not GFIC protected but that would be easy enough to do.

I just googled the NEC for garages and it appears my advise is wrong. All outlets in a garage require GFIC protection. No exceptions. Stupid in my opinion to ever require a refer or freezer to plug into a GFIC outlet. I know what I'd do.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #14

I guess I didn't understand that you were saying the GFI in the garage was tripping. I thought we were talking about a GFI inside the coach.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote