RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #1

Shore Power Issue

Just left my coach in Arizona storage garage that I just purchased, my problem is when I plug into 20 amp service which I noticed has GFI protection after about 5 seconds GFI trips, all power is off including inverter, I only want to power battery charger which has a 13 amp load. Any ideas on what is happening, I can plug other items in and they work with out tripping GFI.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sometimes a too long, or too small gauge, extension cord will trip a GFI (I think due to the voltage drop in the cord).
Also if you have a GFI at the garage receptacle and a GFI at the Coach end, they don't always play nice together. If this is the case try turning off (use the test button on the GFI to disable) the ones on the Coach while plugged in to the garage/storage power.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #3

The garage GFI is the one tripping, I am plugging coach main power line with 20 amp reducer direct into garage 20 amp service, I am thinking if I remove garage 20 amp GFI which is direct down stream from breaker panel and work off 20 amp line breaker it may eliminate my problem.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #4

Also plug an outlet tester in to make sure its wired correctly.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #5

Surge guards, ATS, inverter/chargers, absorbsion friges, electric water heaters and some converter/chargers all can cause ground faults.

Some are fixable others are not, so although its never a good idea to remove a life saving device, its up to you.

A better fix is to leave all of the standard outlets GFCI protected and install a RV 30 amp outlet for the RV.

That way, you won't kill yourself using the other outlets in wet places and can't easily us the RV one for other things.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Just left my coach in Arizona storage garage that I just purchased, my problem is when I plug into 20 amp service which I noticed has GFI protection after about 5 seconds GFI trips, all power is off including inverter, I only want to power battery charger which has a 13 amp load.
Wow, that's quite the load to a battery charger.

How about just turning off all the other 120 volt breakers in the RV so that only that one device is powered?
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #7

Chances are your ground and neutral are bonded in the RV when they aren't supposed to be. This allows two return paths from the HOT side of the GFI receptacle in the garage which is the definition of a "ground fault" and it trips.

You can either:

Find and fix the bonding problem in the RV
Replace the GFI in the garage with a non-GFI receptacle
Run a direct extension cord to the converter plug IF your converter is wired with a plug on the input.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #8

turn off the GFI circuit in the RV. 2 gfi's in series sometimes don't play nice.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Outbound,

You say you just purchased this storage place. Since it's yours, is it possible to add a 30 or a 50 amp ? Then you would have the flexibility to run the heat or air conditioner if you happen to be there working on the coach.

Definitely more convenient and wouldn't hurt the resale value either.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We had this same issue at our place. As others have mentioned already, we installed a dedicated 30 Amp RV plug. If you're going to have it there often, I think it is well worth the upgrade. Sounds like the location is close to the box, so maybe not a difficult install.

Many benefits we have found from having 30 amp service. As an example, we have a residential fridge. The 30 Amp outlet allows us to start the fridge up early and get it to temp a day or two before departure. When we leave it goes over to inverter, with batteries topped up.

Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #11

windsorbill, twinboat my plans are to add a 30 or 50 amp receptacle, my problem is electrician is swamped and I need to get power to coach to keep batteries up until they free up. Until now I have been able to plug into all 20 amp circuits at other locations without any issues, although I do not know if they were GFI protected. I am a 7hour drive from coach so limited on fixes.
cavie, I agree about GFI's not playing nice.
Goodspike, 13 amps is start up load, I'm sure that would drop given time.
rob-m, tester is a great idea.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #12

JJTL, I agree need to add 30 or 50 amp box.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #13

Remove the first ( the GFCI ) outlet in the string and move it down the line.

Install a RV 30 amp outlet in its place. It won't supply 30 amps but it will only be used by the RV.

If your desperate, just cut the ground pin off your adaptor. You can buy one of them old fashion ground adaptors and cut off the tab.

No ground, no secondary path for current. I wouldn't wash the RV plugged in that way.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Sou...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would this work? Temporary of course. Just till Sparky can get you scheduled.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power