Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #1

Called Monaco regarding my 07 Dip. On generator all of the electric panel lights up and works...on shore it drops rear AC and Water Heater. I was continually on 30 amp at parks up north, so tech said that it is normal. OK.
I am now back in Vegas - 100 today and on 50 amp. Same issue on power panel. Service is a week from Monday. Limping along with front a/c and propane hot water. Any ideas? Sure would like to get both A/C's working. Thanks.
Las Vegas Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #2

Called Monaco regarding my 07 Dip. On generator all of the electric panel lights up and works...on shore it drops rear AC and Water Heater. I was continually on 30 amp at parks up north, so tech said that it is normal. OK.
I am now back in Vegas - 100 today and on 50 amp. Same issue on power panel. Service is a week from Monday. Limping along with front a/c and propane hot water. Any ideas? Sure would like to get both A/C's working. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I have a similar problem... Your house batteries are probably not charging and as the voltage drops your energy management system starts cutting things off.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you have lost one of the two 120 volts legs. Since things work on the generator the problem is before the transfer switch. The first place to look would be your shore power cable and especially the plug that connects to the park. Make sure you do not have a bad or burned prong on the plug. If the plug looks OK then check the connections inside the transfer switch to make sure one connection has not burned up. A loose connection will get hot and become very resistive over time. If you are skilled with a multimeter check between each leg and ground at the end of the shore power cable to make sure you have 110 VAC on each leg. If you don't feel comfortable doing this find a friend or call an electrician. Your problem should be easy to solve and should not require a trip to the dealer.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Las Vegas Rambler:
I am now back in Vegas - 100 today and on 50 amp. Same issue on power panel. Service is a week from Monday. Limping along with front a/c and propane hot water. Any ideas? Sure would like to get both A/C's working. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nodine:
Sounds like you have lost one of the two 120 volts legs. Since things work on the generator the problem is before the transfer switch. The first place to look would be your shore power cable and especially the plug that connects to the park. Make sure you do not have a bad or burned prong on the plug. If the plug looks OK then check the connections inside the transfer switch to make sure one connection has not burned up. A loose connection will get hot and become very resistive over time. If you are skilled with a multimeter check between each leg and ground at the end of the shore power cable to make sure you have 110 VAC on each leg. If you don't feel comfortable doing this find a friend or call an electrician. Your problem should be easy to solve and should not require a trip to the dealer.

I all most forget to mention the power cord reel. If you have a power cord reel that is also a very likely place to have a broken connection or wire. You could by pass it temporally if that is the problem.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Las Vegas Rambler:
I am now back in Vegas - 100 today and on 50 amp. Same issue on power panel. Service is a week from Monday. Limping along with front a/c and propane hot water. Any ideas? Sure would like to get both A/C's working. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:01 AM   #6

a 50 amp service receptical doesn't mean you have 2 seperate feed legs. many times rv parks will tie the to legs together with only one hot leg feed ,neutral and ground. if so your EMS will only read it as a 30amp service.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You might want to try reseting the EMS system. I had a similar problem and found I had to put the fuse on the EMS board to get it to reset. On my 06 Endeavor the board is located inside the breaker pannel. You have to pull the cover off and then take the fuse out of the board and wait a few seconds and then reinstall. While you have the cover off the breaker pannel you can check the power and make sure you have 240 volts between two hot leads.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Morning...My first thought as I started reading this thread this AM was the EMS. I believe Dave hit it on the head...
I am not positive that this is just a Monaco problem though so I am shortcutting it to MH Problems for more feedback...
Let us know if that is the problem.

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #9

Thank you everyone for your potential areas of fix. Started at the transfer switch - 120 on both legs - also 120 on both breakers inside panel. EMS control panel still shows 50 amps service with only front A/C and Refer lit up.

Also checked a couple fuses that might have been related - all good. Couldn't find the ems controller - looked behind the ems display board - nothing there except display circuits.

It appears that the coach "thinks" its missing a leg, but isn't. Gonna think about this some more. Ideas were helpful - at least I now know where it isn't.

Thanks again. John
Old 09-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by itdave:
You might want to try reseting the EMS system. I had a similar problem and found I had to put the fuse on the EMS board to get it to reset. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John, The fuse that Dave is suggesting you pull can be seen near the bottom of the photo below:

You must remove 6 screws to pull the circuit breaker panel off.
CC
Old 09-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

If your EMS display shows 50A, then it believes it has standard 50A service, i.e. 2 x 120v hot legs. It would show 30A otherwise.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #12

SUCCESS !! Thank you especially to Dave for pointing out the potential problem and CC assisting me in finding the fuse. Pulled the fuse out, waited a minute and stuck it back in.
Yeah, now I have full electric and will be able to beat the heat!

What a great assest this board is - have found out so much from it. Thanks again guys!

john
Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
John,
Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for providing us feedback on your fix. I wish everyone would do that.
CC