RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Shoreline Reel CC50D Repair

We have a 2003 Monaco Dynasty 42' w/tag. Last week our electrical reel developed a problem of not passing voltage on one leg of the 50 amp line. I have fully checked out the system and both legs work into the reel, but one leg does not pass through the reel. I can find a sweet spot that the both legs pass through but it is touchy and I am sure that spot will quit also. I bypassed the reel with a 220v terminal block so we could make a short trip this past weekend. However, it sure is a pain to have to manually wind the cord and put it in the bay.

I am ready to take the reel apart to see if I can repair it but first I am looking for a service manual or at a minimum an exploded view of the reel.

I have searched this site, a few other RV sites and searched the net but have not found what I am looking for.

Also, I know parts are no longer available but I really do not want to spend $600 up for a new reel if I can fix this one!

If anyone has the repair/service manual or knows where to download it please let me know.

If I do not find the service manual then I will take the reel apart and document the steps to service it.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I took our apart. Just take pictures, but pretty straight forward. Pop rivets to drill out.
Sent part of it to an electric motor rebuilder. They made a new contact for the one that burnt up. About $80 if I recall.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have the reel out of the motor home. One side, the electrical feed to the coach has 4 brass bolts/studs and a stainless bolt in the center of the reel. The other other side, the gear drive side has one stainless bolt in the center of the reel.

I have already drilled the rivets. Do I just remove the two stainless bolts or do I also need to remove the nuts on the brass studs?

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It's been a few years, I think the SS bolts. I'll look for a picture...
Old 06-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I can't find the pictures. I believe the brass studs have the wires from the reel attached on the other side.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have begun taking it apart. The brass nuts do need to be removed and the stainless bolt hods the mounting plate to the reel.

Thanks for the info!

Old 05-04-2020, 02:42 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey Texnet, did you ever get the reel working again? I'm running into a similar issue. Thanks!
macnanday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Following this for future work
Old 05-05-2020, 12:02 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
For anyone else with the same issue, I contacted Southwire, the company that makes the CC50D that's in my Allegro Bus. The following is my conversation:

Me:
I have a 2015 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP. Last night we started having issues with the power delivery. The (relays) in the Power Transfer Box (Surge Guard 41260) were intermittently "clunking", sometimes in rapid fire. We eventually lost all shore power (50A). I thought it could have been a pedestal issue and plugged into the 30A. Things worked for a while then we lost power there too. In the morning we kept investigating and found if we wiggled the power cord reel the power transfer relays started clunking again. Could this be a possible short in the 50A cord reel? I'm kind of stumped but if I could talk to someone that knows about these systems and narrow it down I'd like to get the right parts ordered. Thanks!

The response:
Sounds like you have a bad slip ring connection inside the reel hub. What you have explained are the classic symptoms. These slip rings need maintenance every now and then.

Roll the cord all the way out of the spool and remove the door on the hub. You will see a redish rectangular block with the lugs to attach the RV power cord. Remove the wire which is attached to the lugs. Next drill out the 4 rivets that hold the block in place and remove the block. You then will see the damage that is causing your issue.

Unfortunately, we do not sell any internal spare parts for any of our devices. However, a good motor shop can fix you up for a modest price.

-----

So, I am going to follow their advice. Although I'm a little bummed to hear they no longer make parts for a device in my coach that's only 5 years old, I give Southwire an A+ for a quick and helpful response.

If others are having similar issues I will post my experience doing this. I will start taking things apart tomorrow. Being very careful since we're talking about the main electrical hub. I have a 24 foot 50A cord that I will turn into a static power line in the meantime so my coach can stay plugged in while repairs are going on. Hopefully all goes well. We'll see.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnanday View Post
Hey Texnet, did you ever get the reel working again? I'm running into a similar issue. Thanks!

Yes, I finished it up a few months ago and it is working 100%!! We tried several types of metal to make the "wipers" and either they were too soft or did not have enough tension. I have a friend who is a hobbyist gunsmith and he made some wipers out of some strips that are used inside of ammo clips for pistols or rifles. We were on the road from mid January until Mid March and it worked just fine!

Old 05-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
We tried several types of metal to make the "wipers" and either they were too soft or did not have enough tension.
Glad you solved your issue. I'm trying to get to that stage now. I was hoping I could find the brushes at Grainger or Purvis or something like that. But, after reading your reply it looks like it may be more complicated than that.

I did find the issue though. Here's a shot of what the brushes looked like.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I do not know anyone that would have these brushes. I have done heavy research and about the only thing I found was to make them yourself or as suggested before have a motor shop make them. We live in a small town/county and no motor shops around.

I am sure somewhere someone would be able to supply a flat stock that you could cut, bend and shape but have not found that yet. However, I am still looking as I know that someday I will probably need to repair again!

I did publish a PDF on this and I thought I uploaded it to IVR but it has been so long I am not sure where.

From what I see your rotor/armature will also will need to be turned. My rotor/armature was pitted. Fortunately I have a small lathe so I just pulled it out and turned all 4 of the armature disk and now it is perfect. Any machine shop should be able to turn the rotors/armatures for you, it only takes a few minutes each.

Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnanday View Post
Glad you solved your issue. I'm trying to get to that stage now. I was hoping I could find the brushes at Grainger or Purvis or something like that. But, after reading your reply it looks like it may be more complicated than that.

I did find the issue though. Here's a shot of what the brushes looked like.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I do not know anyone that would have these brushes. I have done heavy research and about the only thing I found was to make them yourself or as suggested before have a motor shop make them. We live in a small town/county and no motor shops around.

I did publish a PDF on this and I thought I uploaded it to IVR but it has been so long I am not sure where.
Hey Ronnie, thanks for sharing your experience. I did chat with the company that made the CC50D. He said they make those contact brushes specifically for them but do not sell them as parts because of liability issues. I wish that wasn't the case but I can see where they're coming from.

I have some calls into a couple shops. Hopefully one of them will say that's something they can work on. Sent them photos by email, haven't heard back yet. I do have connections at machine shops so I can get the arm turned, but will owe some favors. :-)

I have been looking for spring brass stock to make the brushes out of as well. And I've been assuming brass, maybe copper would be better? But, I don't often see spring copper material. Than again, I've never really paid attention to that before now.

BTW Granbury isn't THAT small. You have a golf course, you have a Whataburger. I used to race just up the road at Motorsports Ranch. I like that area.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Dropped off some of the parts at an electrical motor rebuild shop yesterday. The guy who owned the shop was the third generation of his family to do so and had may years of experience. He said he'd never seen brushes like that before but thought he had an idea of how to fix it. Will know soon hopefully.

I told him if he could come up with a new brush, then if it was not much more to do a run of 12 than just one I'd like to get extras. Then if anyone else had this issue I may have some spares for them.

Fingers crossed.

Tags
air, repair