Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Unhappy Short Legs?

I'm not a tall person at 5'10", but not short, either. I drive a 1999 Windsor and I have a real problem reaching both gas and brake pedals.

I've got the seat so close the steering wheel rubs my (slightly) bulging belly. This is our 4th coach, first diesel, but I've driven other diesels without this problem. I don't see any way to fix it, other than blocks on the pedals.

I've adjusted seat tilt, recline, height, etc. I've adjusted the steering tilt and telescope, nothing helps. I have to move the seat back to exit and up to drive. I can't be the only one with this problem, can I?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Phil

Is it possible to actually replace the pedals with "longer", or more "sticky-outy" ones????

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #3

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Pedal extensions can be made by any machine shop or you can contact and medical supply company as they should have a catalog for them. Almost ALL" little people" need them based on their stature. Just make sure they are secure or they will cause more trouble than a belly against the steering wheel.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm 5'8" and I lower the captain's chair and extend chair forward and feel comfortable. It is a PITA to move the chair back to exit.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Hi, Phil

Is it possible to actually replace the pedals with "longer", or more "sticky-outy" ones????

Francesca
Yeah, I suppose, but I don't like the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Pedal extensions can be made by any machine shop or you can contact and medical supply company as they should have a catalog for them. Almost ALL" little people" need them based on their stature. Just make sure they are secure or they will cause more trouble than a belly against the steering wheel.
I guess I'm asking if it's just my coach and why is it like that, anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
I'm 5'8" and I lower the captain's chair and extend chair forward and feel comfortable. It is a PITA to move the chair back to exit.
We have basically the same coach. You probably don't have the (slightly) bulging belly that I have! If I move the wheel just one step away it doesn't rub me and I'm comfortable, but I can't reach the pedals comfortably. It's not THAT bad, but I wish they were just a little closer.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #6

Our 96 Dynasty is the same way...Wife is 5'5" and can not get seat close enough, no matter how seat is adjusted. It is not an issue with us as she will NEVER drive the vehicle. She wouldn't do it even if she reached the pedals
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My 99 Dynasty was the same way. Brake pedal was fine, but the gas pedal was a stretch. I shaped a piece of hard wood the same size as the rubber gas pedal, countersunk 4 hole in the wood and screwed it to the plastic pedal. Then I added the self adhesive sand paper type anti slip strips to the wood. What a difference to drive!

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Madrona......I'm going to ask a silly question. Did you check the switches on your left arm rest for a pedal in/out switch.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Madrona......I'm going to ask a silly question. Did you check the switches on your left arm rest for a pedal in/out switch.
Oh, man, that would be a dream, Don. Well, I'll give a silly answer. I've owned the coach for a little over a year, but I don't drive it that often. I can't imagine I overlooked a feature like that, but I'll give it a look. However, I think the coach is probably too old for that particular option.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
5' 10" is not 'small'.. in fact, it is the FAA 'average person' size and what everything is built too.. I'm pretty sure (w/o looking) that it is the DOTs average person too. You should not have that much trouble reaching the pedals...

That said, I don't own the coach or one like it, so cant help ya I did think about the adjustable pedals, but got beat to it, but, can you raise the whell up another noch to gain some more room? Also, are you sure your chair is all the way forward and not catching/binding and not making it all the way?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
5' 10" is not 'small'.. in fact, it is the FAA 'average person' size and what everything is built too.. I'm pretty sure (w/o looking) that it is the DOTs average person too. You should not have that much trouble reaching the pedals...

That said, I don't own the coach or one like it, so cant help ya I did think about the adjustable pedals, but got beat to it, but, can you raise the whell up another noch to gain some more room? Also, are you sure your chair is all the way forward and not catching/binding and not making it all the way?
Yeah, the seat even has more room to move forward. The real problem is the steering column. It's right up against my, well, you know. Lacking adjustable pedals, which I haven't checked for yet, I guess blocks on the pedals is the only alternative. I just can't believe it was designed that way on purpose.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I think the 99 Monacos was the last year that adjustable pedals were at least optional. I might try a block on the accelerator. Thanks Happycarz
Old 09-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Phil

Is it the steering column or the wheel?
If it's just the wheel, is there any way to put on a smaller one???

Or can it be raised up and "horizontaled" so it clears your-er- beltline?
Seems like the wheels in buses are almost flat, plane-wise...

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Hi, Phil

Is it the steering column or the wheel?
If it's just the wheel, is there any way to put on a smaller one???

Or can it be raised up and "horizontaled" so it clears your-er- beltline?
Seems like the wheels in buses are almost flat, plane-wise...

Francesca
Hi Francesca,

I do seem to get my issues mixed up, don't I! I guess you would have to say it's the wheel, but it's really the column. If the column wasn't in the way, I could move closer, but if I move closer that makes the belly rub, worse! I guess you were right with your suggestion, "sticky outey things" on the pedals. And, I guess it really is just the accelerator pedal that is an issue, now that I think about it.

Dang, I hate it when something is poorly designed and needs to be fixed with what is really a temporary solution. It'll work, but I don't have to like it!!

Thanks all for your suggestions.
I'll probably be happily surprised how much easier it is to drive once I make the modification.