Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

Should I Consider a 2010 Diplomat?

Any 2009-2010 Monica owners in this forum? I'm Looking at many options in the used market. Thanks to you all on this forum, I know Monaco was struggling a bit in 2009-10 as their business deteriorated.
I'm considering traveling to see a 2010 Diplomat 42SKQ. Although I plan on getting a complete 3rd party top to bottom inspection, Should I stay away? If not, can anyone suggest how can I get a in service history on this rig? Will the "New Monaco" be able to help me?

Thanks in advance!

2021 Newmar Baystar 3226
rickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmc View Post
Any 2009-2010 Monica owners in this forum? I'm Looking at many options in the used market. Thanks to you all on this forum, I know Monaco was struggling a bit in 2009-10 as their business deteriorated.
I'm considering traveling to see a 2010 Diplomat 42SKQ. Although I plan on getting a complete 3rd party top to bottom inspection, Should I stay away? If not, can anyone suggest how can I get a in service history on this rig? Will the "New Monaco" be able to help me?

Thanks in advance!

They were doing considerably more than struggling in the '09-'10 time frame. They declared chapter 11 bankruptcy in the spring of '09 and all production ceased. There were coaches in various stages of completion at that time. Most of the production assets of the old Monaco Coach Corp were sold to Navistar. I'm guessing that any coach sold as an '09 was built by the old MCC. Any coach sold as a '10 was in some stage of production at the time of bankruptcy and finished by Navistar or was build completely by Navistar from components in inventory when they purchased Monaco. I'm guessing that there weren't many '10s ever built.

I wouldn't say you should stay away but you should be cautious and proceed with a professional inspection. A coach of this vintage could be a good value. They have been around for 6-7 years and any production issues should have been long since flushed out.

The new REV Monaco should have the build sheet and be able to help with tech questions.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #3

I have a 38ft 2009 Diplomat very happy with it handles great lots of power. Did have to fix a hydraulic leak hose fitting everything in the coach seems to be working find .I know 38's Diplomats are hard to find and get top $$ for them. Mine was built by old Monaco.Good luck
Old 02-07-2017, 04:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Which engine does it have Cummins or Navistar?

Our 2011 has the 425HP Cummins and hasn't missed a beat, we just don't have enough time to use it like we would like (although we've got it up to 31000 miles now )

Good luck !
Old 02-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #5

The Diplomat has a Cummins 425. Thanks everyone for your input!! Going to investigate further..

2021 Newmar Baystar 3226
rickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmc View Post
The Diplomat has a Cummins 425. Thanks everyone for your input!! Going to investigate further..
DW and I are headed to Colorado this weekend to look at a 2009 Monaco Diplomat.... Keeping our fingers crossed This will be our first motorhome.
Ksjayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #7

2011 Monaco Diplomat

We have a 2011 Diplomat 43PD5, this one has five slides, very roomy when you open them all up.

We have owned it for 3 years, bought in used and was like new inside and out a the fit and finish are nice, we have had the usual things go wrong, the step cover would not open, the inverter died, the transfer switch got fried from a ligtning strike and took out the surge protector and few minor bugs.

The engine and transmission, generator have been no problem.

The engine does not require DEF, and this was built as a Navistar.

Yes Monaco had issues but this unit it not a something that was thrown together and not different in quality than prior years before the bankruptcy, even new units have issues. I was not afraid of it even knowing the history of Monaco and it was the five slides that made this one unique.
strangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
FIVE slides ?
ours is just three, but one is a full wall...

Nice to have gotten rid of the DEF I used to do for my ford diesel trucks !!!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Which engine does it have Cummins or Navistar?

Our 2011 has the 425HP Cummins and hasn't missed a beat, we just don't have enough time to use it like we would like (although we've got it up to 31000 miles now )

Good luck !
Navistar Monaco's Diplomat's didn't come with the 405hp MF 10 engines until 2012 Model year. The Navistar Monaco Knights came with 350hp MF10 in 2011.
So far those who have them seem to be doing good with there Navistar engines.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #10

When we were looking to upgrade form our Holiday Rambler, I was looking for nothing newer the 2009. We ended up getting a 2009 Diplomat PDQ and have been pleased with it. While we have repaired some items, none of them were major. I did not want to mess with DEF, even though it may not be a real issue. That was just me!
Get a good inspection done both inside the coach and the underside. Hopefully you will find something that you like at a reasonable price.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #11

[QUOTE=JohnBoyToo;3460839]FIVE slides ?
ours is just three, but one is a full wall...

Yes 5 slides, 2 in the bedroom, one for the right side that is the kitchen and a ton of cabinets are there along with the big tv

On the on the left siide, a slide within a slide, the couch, dinette and refrigerator slide out as one slide, press a button, and the the dinette and couch slide out about 18 inches more on the 5th slide, you do have to watch your clearances since that puts you pretty far out, very roomy all open, I have only seen one like it probably not many made.
strangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
a slide in a slide 6 years ago !?! Very cool !

but I'd double the number of times I banged my head getting to the basement storage
Old 02-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #13

I purchased a slightly used 8000 miles 2010 Diplomat 42 SKQ in Sept of 2015. Since then I have put an additional 14,000 mi with absolutely no real issues to speak of. Here is a list of the minor issues since owning.

1/ Loose lug on transfer witch requiring new switch to bee installed

2/ A few blown 12 volt fuses on misc items

3/ There were a few minor leaks in the slide area but easily fixed.

I have replaced the tires as the chassis was built in 10/08 and the tires were from '07. Besides that just normal maintenance. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to talk further if you want to ask more questions.
beachman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
a slide in a slide 6 years ago !?! Very cool !

but I'd double the number of times I banged my head getting to the basement storage

Monaco first used that slide in a slide in a 2010 Dynasty.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote