Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Should this scare me?

I'm considering a 2002 HR Navigator, 91k miles, nearly flawless interior, outside looks great BUT, there are a couple possible issues on the fiberglass. In order, the first is an area at the front of the LR slide, you see a lot of dirt but there does seem to be some distortion/small cracks there.

The second is a stand alone crack on the passenger side 2/3 of the way back. It is not showing any delamination to either side of the crack, just a small split.

The last one is just some spider cracks on the driver side about 1/2 way back.

Any thoughts, feedback or experience with this kind of stuff would be appreciated. Is this normal wear and tear for a coach of this age?

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide flaw pic.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	7521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	7522  

Click image for larger version

Name:	spider cracks.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	7523  
DEG503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I personally would not buy a motorhome with a crack in the siding unless I was planning on having it repaired and repainted. I would also worry about why the crack happened in the first place. This is not normal.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You have two problems here. One is the cause of the cracks and the second is the effects the cracks have caused. Cracks are sometime the result of stresses not anticipated at the time of design so it's important to determine their cause. Cracks allow water to penetrate into the fiberglass layers and can eventually cause delamination. I would question if the motorhome hit something, been overloaded at some point, sustained a shock load(going to fast over a rise or dip in the highway) or has an inherent design flaw which is the worst case. If it hit something then you only have to be concerned about the repair. If it was overloaded or shock loaded you may have a weakened structure and the cracks may reappear after the repair and become a chronic problem. If it's a design flaw you will probably be facing some serious expense and it may not be worth repairing. They can also be just superficial blemishes in the fiberglass.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

David,

I see that you are in Orlando. If it were me, I would arrange to get the coach down to Alliance Coach in Wildwood & get an opinion from Brent & his staff. Those guys are ex-Monaco and during their time running that facility for Monaco They have seen many situations.

I would value their expertise and advise.

Safe travels,
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #5

Too many nice coaches on the market to face these problems IMO.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #6

Monaco has a big problem with thermal cracking from the sun. I think it was from about 2000 to 2006. Mostly on the dark colors. We have a 2002 Holiday Rambler that looks like s--t. They say they fixed the problem in 206 but I have seen the checks in newer coaches also. No cheap fix for this. The only place I know of that can fix this is the Paint Department in Calif. $22,000.00 for our coach.
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DEG503,
Don't let a cheap price draw you into this black hole. Like has been posted earlier, there are many, many nice coaches for sale. Walk from this and move on to something in excellent condition. You have a lot of choices.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
And once water gets behind those cracks it is going to make a real mess. I'd stay away from this unit as well.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
And once water gets behind those cracks it is going to make a real mess. I'd stay away from this unit as well.
Amen. I was looking at a used coach 2 summers ago and saw a really nice one in the repair bay at a dealer. When I inquired, the salesman said he'd knock off $10k if I took it as is. There was an issue with the side of the coach.

Well...when he shut the door of the coach....the entire side of the RV (where cracked) moved. Not a good sign and I'm REALLY glad we walked away.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote