Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2017, 04:24 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
here's an update, for what it's worth. turns out, Monaco did use Moen's back in 2005-06 when my coach was built. Brass construction, good quality. That particular valve portion (not the trim), is not as deep as the Moens are now. A new Moen valve now just won't fit in the tight spot behind my shower without major remodel. Exterior wall and dining room cabinet.

I took the old valve out and rigged up some fittings in the shop to see where it was leaking. Turns out, the plastic 90 degree coming out of the brass valve was defective from day 1 and finally (11 years), started to leak. I replaced that 50 cent piece (now $1.99), actually did both sides, and put it back together. It's been under pressure for 18 hours now and pump has not cycled once.

I have a furnace and the water heater right under the valve. I took those both out to check for any permanent water damage. I caught the leak early enough and zero visible damage-not even water stains. I've been running fans on it just to be sure.

Now on to the next project.
Glad you had an easy fix Bill. Interesting about the depth of new Moen hardware. Thanks for updating us.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #16

That cracked plastic fitting is exactly what was leaking on mine .
I had the old valve removed before finding the leak and we wanted to change
our trim from brass to chrome so I replaced the whole thing .

Since we both found the same leaking fitting there probably others out there
with leaking fittings

My suggestion to anyone is before tearing out the valve get a flash light and
mirror , you may just need a plastic fitting

Ray D
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
That cracked plastic fitting is exactly what was leaking on mine .
I had the old valve removed before finding the leak and we wanted to change
our trim from brass to chrome so I replaced the whole thing .

Since we both found the same leaking fitting there probably others out there
with leaking fittings

My suggestion to anyone is before tearing out the valve get a flash light and
mirror , you may just need a plastic fitting

Ray D
You're absolutely right. The reason I found it was I had water dripping on the ground outside. Just above the wet ground is my water heater and above that is the furnace. My biggest concern was any subfloor damage so I took out the water heater and the furnace. I wanted to be able to sleep at night knowing I didn't have any serious water damage/rot/mold. I must have caught that leak right when it started. All was good. But that little plastic fitting took me nearly 12 hours to fix.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower