Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to C Duck
Shower Water Leak

I have a 2004 Windsor 38PST with a water leak that looks impossible to get to.
The water is coming under the wall that separates the shower from the bedroom and I believe it has been going on for some time although we have just found it. At this time I can't find where it is coming from.

The wall has a pocket door in it so it is a double wall. There is a hole through the walls that gives some access to the mixing valve but it is only about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. It may be able to be enlarged somewhat. The drain under the shower is likewise almost inaccessible.

I can't tell if the water is coming from the mixing valve, the shower drain or the Pex lines or couplings.

Has anyone faced this? I'm thinking about removing the outer pocket door wall (bedroom side) which I think will open up working room to the Pex lines and the under shower drains.

I will have to have a RV Tech do this but I would like to know what he is going to have to do and be able give him some guidance from the experts.

Thanks for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2021, 10:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Duck View Post
I have a 2004 Windsor 38PST with a water leak that looks impossible to get to.
The water is coming under the wall that separates the shower from the bedroom and I believe it has been going on for some time although we have just found it. At this time I can't find where it is coming from.

The wall has a pocket door in it so it is a double wall. There is a hole through the walls that gives some access to the mixing valve but it is only about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. It may be able to be enlarged somewhat. The drain under the shower is likewise almost inaccessible.

I can't tell if the water is coming from the mixing valve, the shower drain or the Pex lines or couplings.

Has anyone faced this? I'm thinking about removing the outer pocket door wall (bedroom side) which I think will open up working room to the Pex lines and the under shower drains.

I will have to have a RV Tech do this but I would like to know what he is going to have to do and be able give him some guidance from the experts.

Thanks for any help.
Chuck,

You doing Quartzsite next month?

If I were in your position, I'd turn on water pump and turn off all faucets. If pump cycles on/off, you know the leak is likely fresh water side, (the valve). If it doesn't cycle, more likely drain or something else.

You can possibly look through those 4 1/2" holes (flashlight) and look and see if the PEX to shower valve fittings show any signs of leaks. They came from factory only hand tightened.

I had a water pump go wacko a few years ago and did not shut off. Built up pressure in PEX until it busted the plastic fittings between the PEX and the shower valve in the wall. A real pain to fix it, but it's doable.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:18 AM   #3

I had a leak in exactly the same place, and what was puzzling was I never would have known about as it only leaked when the shower was being used. It came out of the mix valve connections. I used the opportunity to replace the mix valve and all connections at the same time. Open up the access and watch for a leak when the shower is on. Could be the same issue.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:45 AM   #4

shower water leak

Is it possible that the washing machine water lines runs through this area if so turn them off at the main valve and see if the leak stops
TGAWLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #5

"You doing Quartzsite next month?"

Hi Bill...

Thanks for the reply and I will try your suggestion.
As for Q I won't be able to attend. On our last 2 month trip our house flooded before we got home. My son got the abatement people in there and they removed ALL the cabinets that touched the floor, cut the sheetrock up a couple of feet throughout the house Etc., Etc. We are now living full time in the MH and dealing with the rebuild.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill767 View Post
I had a leak in exactly the same place, and what was puzzling was I never would have known about as it only leaked when the shower was being used. It came out of the mix valve connections. I used the opportunity to replace the mix valve and all connections at the same time. Open up the access and watch for a leak when the shower is on. Could be the same issue.
Thanks. I will check for that.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGAWLAK View Post
Is it possible that the washing machine water lines runs through this area if so turn them off at the main valve and see if the leak stops
Didn't think of that either. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
"You doing Quartzsite next month?"

Hi Bill...

Thanks for the reply and I will try your suggestion.
As for Q I won't be able to attend. On our last 2 month trip our house flooded before we got home. My son got the abatement people in there and they removed ALL the cabinets that touched the floor, cut the sheetrock up a couple of feet throughout the house Etc., Etc. We are now living full time in the MH and dealing with the rebuild.
Sorry to hear about that. A flooded house is no fun. Let us know what you find out about this leak.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Sorry to hear about that. A flooded house is no fun. Let us know what you find out about this leak.
I'm now trying to figure out if my bedroom pocket door wall can be removed to give access. It's a double wall with the door between and I'd like to remove the wall on the bedroom side (the other wall is on the shower side).
Any ideas?
Old 12-30-2021, 11:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I'm now trying to figure out if my bedroom pocket door wall can be removed to give access. It's a double wall with the door between and I'd like to remove the wall on the bedroom side (the other wall is on the shower side).
Any ideas?
does your bedroom carpet go UNDER the wall and pocket door?

I replaced my bedroom carpet last year. My carpet goes under the pocket door, so I had to remove that wall and the pocket door. Not particular difficult, but time consuming.

You need to remove the pocket door first. Pull it all the way out, and look for 2 handles on top of the door. Pull/push those and it will release the locks off the rollers. Then you can pick up door and remove it off track. (you MAY have to remove some facia trim to access the top track, locking mechanism and rollers)

Once door is removed, you can look inside pocket and there should be some small metal angle brackets that connect wall panel to floor. You need to reach (way easier said then done) in there and unscrew those brackets from floor. (there could also be a bracket or 2 screwed into back wall and possibly even on the ceiling)

Once that is done, the outside panel will come out. If it's sitting on your carpet, it's in there tight.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:38 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Removing a wall would be my last resort!

Wouldn't be surprised if it simply loose connections. Happened to me with my National RV.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

Wouldn't be surprised if it simply loose connections. Happened to me with my National RV.
I agree, but if the water leak got the carpet wet, I'd remove the wall and carpet/pad.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
does your bedroom carpet go UNDER the wall and pocket door?

I replaced my bedroom carpet last year. My carpet goes under the pocket door, so I had to remove that wall and the pocket door. Not particular difficult, but time consuming.

You need to remove the pocket door first. Pull it all the way out, and look for 2 handles on top of the door. Pull/push those and it will release the locks off the rollers. Then you can pick up door and remove it off track. (you MAY have to remove some facia trim to access the top track, locking mechanism and rollers)

Once door is removed, you can look inside pocket and there should be some small metal angle brackets that connect wall panel to floor. You need to reach (way easier said then done) in there and unscrew those brackets from floor. (there could also be a bracket or 2 screwed into back wall and possibly even on the ceiling)

Once that is done, the outside panel will come out. If it's sitting on your carpet, it's in there tight.
Thanks Bill, my carpet does go under the wall. I will save your instructions for the tech. We've yet to find the leak and I was hoping the wall removal would give more access to locate it. Funny though, the leak seems to come and go. Sometimes it soaks the carpet and at other times it doesn't. Nothing I do seems to repeat the leak, at least at it's worst where it would be easier to find...I think.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

I have tried to tighten all the connections I could find.
Thanks for the reply.

Tags
leak, shower, water, water leak