Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #1

Side Radiator wax valve replacement

Hi gang,
Been noticing my 450 ISM Cummins has been running either normally at around 185-190 or slightly warmer at 205-210 regardless of OAT. Of course pulling hills it goes up some, never over heats and returns back to one of the two temps once crested the hill. It only resets to either normal or hotter after engine shut down so I thought maybe the thermostat was hanging up. Installed a new one and for the first few trips seemed normal, then returned to running normal or warmer again.
I did install a new radiator a few years ago, all new hoses, rebuilt one hydraulic fan and resealed the pump. Baffles are all new, no dirt in the radiator, all looks good.

I ran through some testing that I thought I would share to help others.
The side radiator has a Wax valve or temp control valve mounted to the top aft inboard side.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0707.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	31963
Being certain the system is being regulated to either normal or slightly higher and knowing the thermostat has been changed figured this Wax valve looks suspect. I called Monaco and they agreed, they said it was a 85 day wait for the part and about $1200.00
I searched the local Sauer Danfoss distributor and found the same 85 day wait but a better price at $411.00
Searched the internet via Google and found a couple over seas in England for abour $100.00 plus shipping.
I ordered the valve from Whitehouse Hydraulics in England via Fed X, two days later I had it in hand, $160.00

Name:	IMAG0706.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	31964
I am almost positive the engine is being "regulated" to either the normal temperatur or the elevated one because it goes there and basically stays there till the engine is shut down and recycled through a cooling period. In either case I thought I would test the fans before ordering the valve by testing the hydraulics at the valve.
I assembled a test gage and ball valve to change the fan speed manually and test the pressure.

Name:	IMAG0701.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	31965
What happens is the hydraulics run from the pump, to the fans and back again. When the temp or Wax valve detects elevated temperaturs it starts to restrict flow to the control valve on the master fan (I have two fans, others might only have one) which directs the flow of hydraulic fluid into the fan motor to speed them up. The hotter the coolent in the radiator, the more the wax valve restricts fluid to the motor which speeds the motor up. Another way the control side of the hydraulic fluid is regulated is a full on electronic valve which is in series with the wax valve. Basically if the ECM detects a certain coolent temp, it turns that electric valve on which causes the hydraulics to be blocked off thus causing the fans to run full speed.
At full speed the pressure should be about 3050 P.S.I. or 210 BAR at the fan inlet.
I measured the pressure at the Wax valve inlet which tends to be slightly less and measured 2700 PSI, fans full on (and REALLY screaming, wow) at 1700 R.P.M. engine speed, warmed up.

Name:	IMAG0699.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	31966
The little red valve on the test gage is very sensitive because the flow to the control circuit is very small, just a slight movement and you get a big fan speed change.
Basically just moving the valve from open to closed causes the fans to run very slow (open) to very fast (closed) with a linier operations between open and closed. The fans work great.

It might take several trips to determine if this corrected the issue so I will report back later.

Also, in trouble shooting this I found that some people have similar issues however normally the Wax valve tends to fail in the closed position causing the fans to run in the full on mode all the time, hot or cold.

Hope this helps someone
Windecker
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
KIX

Good job. Thanks for sharing your resourcefulness.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you very much for some excellent info. My fan runs all the time. Any price I was quoted for a new wax valve was unacceptable to me. For $160.00 I would be willing to change my mind.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Great info. Thanks!
Hope you've fixed the problem.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #5

thanks a bunch, great work.
Sofar-Sogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Wind check what is the part no of your wax valve
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #7

Wax valve

Well the fans should run some all of the time, mine has one of the control valve fittings welded over to plug it up, then a very small hole drilled throug it to let just a little fluid through. Small like maybe 3/32 at most, maybe smaller. The manufacture says the fans should run about 300 RPM minimum all of the time while at idle, which they seem to do.
If yours are running way faster while cold, enough to make noise and such then the valve might be an issue. Monaco should be able to give you the part numbers for it, I think Monaco's number was the same as the vendor's "new" part number valve.
Side note:
Monaco is tight lipped about the vendor that supplies the cooling unit so good luck getting that info. I snuck it out of them a long time ago and the vendor was very nice but unwilling to sell directly to me. I can understand but it is frustrating that Monaco marks the parts up SO much. When I replaced my radiator, Monaco wanted $14000.00 for the core while my truck radiator shop wanted $1700 for the same thing...

Not sure how yours is set up but mine was honestly a breeze to change. Drain some coolant, swap the valve and refill, bleed and test. Only lost maybe a tea spoon of hydraulic fluid and almost no coolant.

You could also have a restriction in your valve, plug, or master fan controll which could make the fans run too much...
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
Thank you very much for some excellent info. My fan runs all the time. Any price I was quoted for a new wax valve was unacceptable to me. For $160.00 I would be willing to change my mind.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #8

wax valve part numbers

My valve original number and the Sauer Danfoss number is: 553/1/09857/210 You can leave the slashes out of the part number and find the valve also. Sauer has sold this product line off to another vendor who changed the part number to: 18059453 Can't remember off the top of my head what that name was, something like Bererum (not that but something close) The 18059453 number was the one Monaco wanted to use.

Here is the link I used to track this part down: 553/1/09857/210
I had to create an account which only took a couple of minutes and I also chose to call the order in rather than use the somewhat scary (to me) on line ordering. They spoke good english and was just like ordering something from Amazon otherwise...

The new unit had the old number on it with the new name tag.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Wind check what is the part no of your wax valve
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #9

Great info, thanks. One thing I would like to add is if you switch those two hydraulic lines that are attached that wax thermostat the flow will stop and the fan will always run at full speed. I found this out by starting the motor with the ambient temp at below 60 degrees and I walked by the radiator and the fan was running full blast. Looked the hoses closely and noticed that one fitting on the valve had a white dab of paint and one hydraulic line fitting had a white dab of paint and the white dabs did not match. Swapped the lines so the paint dabs matched and the fan slowed right down when the engine was cold. Haven't taken a wax valve apart but I would suspect a one way valve inside. Can anyone confirm that?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

Huh, wow, I was thinking it was just a metering pin type thing that simply restricts flow as heat rises, maybe not? I was careful to install thee hoses back the way they came off though
Althogh the two hoses are infact both #4 size, the fittings that install into the valve are infact #4 and #5 (different base thread sizes).
Wondering if your onto something. I will take my old valve apart once I confirm the proper results...
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Great info, thanks. One thing I would like to add is if you switch those two hydraulic lines that are attached that wax thermostat the flow will stop and the fan will always run at full speed. I found this out by starting the motor with the ambient temp at below 60 degrees and I walked by the radiator and the fan was running full blast. Looked the hoses closely and noticed that one fitting on the valve had a white dab of paint and one hydraulic line fitting had a white dab of paint and the white dabs did not match. Swapped the lines so the paint dabs matched and the fan slowed right down when the engine was cold. Haven't taken a wax valve apart but I would suspect a one way valve inside. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Windecker for the link and info. On switching the lines to get full speed, that would be a good way to do a better job of cleaning the CAC and radiators, on the elec control all they have to do is remove one wire to get full speed.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #12

I have not checked to be sure but I would guess you would actually apply voltage to the relay to turn fans on full.
I would unhook the power wire from the ECM though first, or, in my case I have a relay in the rear run plate to control the hydraulic relay that could be bypassed.
Some folks hard wire that control relay to a switch in the cabin so they can bring the fans on full speed when ever they want... I see no need myself...yet.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Thanks Windecker for the link and info. On switching the lines to get full speed, that would be a good way to do a better job of cleaning the CAC and radiators, on the elec control all they have to do is remove one wire to get full speed.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #13

http://www.rv-chassis.com/tvck_flyer.pdf

Source has the above replacement for the wax valve. Call them for the price. Not all Monaco's use the wax valve. Our Dynasty has an Italian hydraulic fan and motor. It receives a signal from the ECM to change fan speed. They eliminated the wax valve but parts for this system are hard to find.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #14

Yes they do and as happy as I am they have it, the cost was $413.00 I am however impressed that they know so much and will talk with you about the needs of the cooling system.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
http://www.rv-chassis.com/tvck_flyer.pdf

Source has the above replacement for the wax valve. Call them for the price. Not all Monaco's use the wax valve. Our Dynasty has an Italian hydraulic fan and motor. It receives a signal from the ECM to change fan speed. They eliminated the wax valve but parts for this system are hard to find.

Tags
radiator, replacement