Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #1

Signature 40 vs 45

Hello all: please help me out with your thoughts on this one. We're looking at two 1999 Signatures, one 40 and the other 45. The 40 has 450 Cummins one slide and no tag with 125K miles. The other has the 525 Cummins one slide, tag and 65K miles. They are priced within $5k of each. Each has been well-maintained, according to the owners. The 45 originally had the Ceemat tranny which was replaced. Aside from the difference in length its all about the engines, right? Thanks for your thoughts.
Cavdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting options! The 525hp Cummins is the N14 and it is quite the monster. Big motor for the coach and could be a bit of a hotrod. The N14 was only offered for a limited time and I would think these coaches are quite desired. The 450hp Cummins is the M11, which became the ISM and was the standard engine option going forward for many years. Also a great motor.

Starting in 2000, Monaco built all the Signatures on the tax axle chassis including the 40 foot models. Weights were getting too close to the limit, especially as more slides were added. Not sure if your carrying capacity might be more limited with the 40 foot single axle. I personally would be a bit hesitant. Of course an extra axle means extra tires to inspect and check DOT codes on.

65,000 miles on a coach that is 21 years old is on the low side. Sometimes low mileage can be worse than high mileage, if the coach has sat for awhile. These coaches are meant to be used, when they sit for awhile it’s never good. This will come down to the history of the coach and any service records you can find. I wouldn’t just take the owners word for it, do your best to inspect it and seek out maintenance records and other helpful information.

Personally, we are big fans of a tag axle coach and wouldn’t buy another one without it. Anyway, just some thoughts based on the info you have provided.

Curious to see how you make out. All the best!
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #3

Hard choice, I did not know the 525 hp was available in 1999.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The N14 Cummins with a tag would get my vote.
Are you sure the CEEMAT trans was replaced? This is a big deal and extremely expensive. The CEEMAT transmission was a converter enhanced electronically controlled automatic transmission from Eaton. I think the coach version was a 9 speed.

Watch out for pricing as it's all over the map.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Check the CCC (carrying capacity). Without a tag axle my bet is that the 40' without a tag has limited capacity. If I were to upgrade the new ride would have a tag both for ride but also increased CCC.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Tag’
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #7

Signature 40 or 45

Thank you all for your comments. As to the CEEMAT yes it was replaced in 2014. It was a $19K option as new and did in fact cost about $20K to extract and replace with the Allison. Not sure what went wrong but I plan to check with the 2014 owner who is not the current seller. Also, the choice of 40 vs 45 has been somewhat simplified as the 40 has gone to someone else. I plan to pursue the 45 and will continue to solicit your commentaries as I get closer to yay or nay. Once again, thank you very much.
Cavdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tag

We have 40ft Sig with Tag and love it!