Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2008, 06:05 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Well folks it looks like we'll be headded back to Oregon a little sooner than we expected. We have an appointment with the Gauranty Body Shop in Junction City on May 5th, my wifes birthday. Gee, nice b,day present eh?
While washing the coach the other day day I found THREE cracks. Two along the curved side of the passengers side of the roof; one just beneath the center of our awning and one between the front cap and the roof at the side curve on the passengers side. I also found one beginning at the top of the door. There appears to be a seam in the fiberglass at the top left corner of the door frame that goes up to the roof seem. There is a small crack in it right at the door.

Man I hope I can get Gauranty to go over the MH with a fine tooth comb and find ALL of them if any! I believe I'm starting to become a frustrated camper.

When I was there the last time getting the roof crack repaired Scott the bodyshop service manager said that he's seen thousands of these cracks. He said that a LOT of people come back to them to get more repaired that pop up after thier first time in the shop. Well I guess I'm one of those people.

HOWEVER, on the bright side, they fix them waaaaay better than they came from the factory. Scott said that the sad secret is that Monoco uses as little fiberglass as posible to seal the panel seams just to save money.

On an even brighter side, this time Jo and I will meet with MonocoMama, if she'll have us. Have you forgiven me yet? We won't be chased down to Arizona by Old Man Winter this time.

I'll keep everyone posted as to how things go, Until then, we'll just keep enjoying the sunshine and retirement!

Tom aka: AKBrick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:05 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well folks it looks like we'll be headded back to Oregon a little sooner than we expected. We have an appointment with the Gauranty Body Shop in Junction City on May 5th, my wifes birthday. Gee, nice b,day present eh?
While washing the coach the other day day I found THREE cracks. Two along the curved side of the passengers side of the roof; one just beneath the center of our awning and one between the front cap and the roof at the side curve on the passengers side. I also found one beginning at the top of the door. There appears to be a seam in the fiberglass at the top left corner of the door frame that goes up to the roof seem. There is a small crack in it right at the door.

Man I hope I can get Gauranty to go over the MH with a fine tooth comb and find ALL of them if any! I believe I'm starting to become a frustrated camper.

When I was there the last time getting the roof crack repaired Scott the bodyshop service manager said that he's seen thousands of these cracks. He said that a LOT of people come back to them to get more repaired that pop up after thier first time in the shop. Well I guess I'm one of those people.

HOWEVER, on the bright side, they fix them waaaaay better than they came from the factory. Scott said that the sad secret is that Monoco uses as little fiberglass as posible to seal the panel seams just to save money.

On an even brighter side, this time Jo and I will meet with MonocoMama, if she'll have us. Have you forgiven me yet? We won't be chased down to Arizona by Old Man Winter this time.

I'll keep everyone posted as to how things go, Until then, we'll just keep enjoying the sunshine and retirement!

Tom aka: AKBrick
Old 03-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tom....Sorry to hear of your problem with cracks. I have not heard of that problem before. I haven't noticed any on mine but maybe I should look more closely. Glad to hear that Monaco is taking care of the problem although it is a pain to have to go to Oregon all the time.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi nutensteve,
They can be pretty hard to see from the ground unless the light hits them just right. I found mine while on the ladder. Check all four corner areas where the front cap is fiberglassed to the rooftop. They are vertical cracks generally along those seams.

As far as Oregon goes, we were heading that way anyway. We have relatives there and we're going to do the Northwest over again, now that we have time during the spring, summer, fall seasons.

I think everyone should go check thier roofs just for sanity sake.

AKBrick
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have 2 on each side of roof -- 2 ft. from the rear,& in the radius of the roof line -- 1 is 4 inches & the others are about 2 inches -- I hope to have these repaired by a mobil RV repair co. that specializes in paint & fiberglass repair -- They took pictures last thursday to submit to Monaco -- This is on a 07 Camelot -- Fuel at over $4.00 a gal. I would pay for it myself before I would drive to OR., besides, I`ve seen what kind of work they do at Peoria Road, & it`s sure not very good -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, I've got the hairline cracks too, but I have just been filling them with silicon and then cover with touch up paint after the silicon is dry. I've got another six months on my warranty so thought I'd just get them all done at the same time in late summer.
CC
Old 03-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Bill,
those sound like the same ones that I have. So far far I've had no problems with the repairs from the Guaranty bodysop in Junction City.

CC,
Try not to put too much stuff over those cracks as it tends to slow down the clean-up process for the body man. I asked Scott Stevens the bodyshop manager in Junction City about what to use on the cracks and he said "duct tape", just to keep the water out. Looks like I'm a little late on telling you this.

Good luck,

Tom