RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #1

Our 08 Dyansaty has a radio that is marked " Sirius Ready" Of course this means nothing as the modules are way overpriced. Cheaper to just buy a Sirius aftermarket unit. I already have a good one. My question is: Does Monaco install a Sirius antenna at the factory? If not has anyone here installed one on the roof? I hate to to start drilling holes in a new unit.

Thanks

Moisheh
2008 Dynasty

2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #2

Our 08 Dyansaty has a radio that is marked " Sirius Ready" Of course this means nothing as the modules are way overpriced. Cheaper to just buy a Sirius aftermarket unit. I already have a good one. My question is: Does Monaco install a Sirius antenna at the factory? If not has anyone here installed one on the roof? I hate to to start drilling holes in a new unit.

Thanks

Moisheh
2008 Dynasty

2009 Silverado Toad
Old 05-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Moisheh,
Our Camelot came with Sirius and you can see the small knob antenna to the right and forward of the white Garmin GPS antenna on the left. The GPS antenna was added just before purchase and it's easy to run the coax down the left side into the instrument panel wiring to a receiver.

CC
Old 05-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #4

you dont need to drill holes in the roof.

you can mount it on your dash, or you can run it up your tv antenna holes or yor sattelite holes.

mike b

svc mgr
rvservicemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
moisheh...
Many people just run the antenna that comes with the portable unit up the "A-Pillar" and leave it near the inside top of the center cap - or something along those lines... BUT I am not the expert - so I will also link this to the "technology forum" for more feedback!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I did as MM mentioned - used velcro to attach to the top of the front cap. When the TV is removed, there is access behind and above the TV where you will find bare insulation. Pull that away and you will see your clearance lights poking through. You can then run the wire down the a-pillar.

My reception has been fine, but it will blank out at odd times when we are parked. Not sure what that means, but it hasn't been enough for me to go through the work of moving it.

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
LOL..Kev,
I actually did an "advanced search" with your name before I posted - I think the information must have been on your blog.
Thank You for confirming my memory is still working ok!
MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:44 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine's mounted in the overhead. Works perfect, no holes.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi moisheh,
I've installed more of these after market units than I can count. There are several ways to make the install. They all work, so it comes down to personal preference and your coach. The most success I've had is to get the antenna onto the roof.

For those who want to see no wires, I do:
1. drill a hole through the cap
2. follow the off air TV antenna wires
3. follow the sat dome wires

For those who have no problem seeing a wire, I have run the antenna wire via a front running light. Usually this is the left light, over the driver.

In almost all cases, the wires are threaded down the left pillar to behind the dash.

My experience is limitted to Newmar coaches. Even with just Newmar, the differences by model and year are great. Planning how to run the wires is unique to each coach.

We have a lot of "stuff" on our roofs. Try to keep the antenna out in the open and away from the stuff. This will ensure a clear view of the satellite.

Others have had luck with mounting the antenna high inside the front cap. Unfortunately, this has not worked for me. These installs are the only rework I have ever had. If an owner is determine to have the antenna inside the front cap, I will help,,,,,once. If it doesn't work, he is on his own.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies. In my last 2 motorhomes the reception with an inside mounted antenna was not good. I will crawl up onto the roof and assess the situation.

Thanks

Moisheh

2009 Silverado Toad