RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #1

Slack adjusters??

I own a 1991 Monaco Signature, 40 ft. which I just bought before Christmas. I haven't been under yet, but am wondering if the "Slack Adjusters" are the auotmatic adjuster type or the manual for this year. Here in Texas, we have to go through inspections, and when you buy from out of state, they are really strict the first time. I know mine do need adjustments as the fronts grab first. Only 37,000 miles on it so shouldn't need brakes, just adjustments.
Ron
wb6epp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #2

Just posted your answer on the thread about your motor.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ron pretty sure your brakes are manual adjust not auto.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #4

Walt: That would be fine with me. Nothing to adjusting, it's just finding the area to crawl under the unit.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #5

Today, I decided to inspect my rear brakes. And to my surprise, I must have not had "REAR BRAKES" from Tenn. To TX., as the slack adjusters are manual adjustments. The slack adujsters were backed off. The person that thought they were adjusting, backed them off until the slack adjusters moved outward!! So with my handy dandy 9/16" wrench in hand, I locked them tight, then backed off about the 3/4" turn, and had a nice clear ring to the drum. So now mr. inspection station will more than likely pass me. But since I still have to go to the scales, I will know how well they work. Coming home from Tenn. it was pouring rain and I was in no mood to crawl under. Now I just have to address some ICC lights that are broken or out. Then Whoopy, I will be able to give the state of TX. more money!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a good reading on Air Brakes which also covers the brake adjustments, and their types.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AirBrakeManualComp.pdf (2.37 MB, 190 views)
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
In all my years of adjusting manual slack adjusters I wound them tight and backed them off 1/4 turn. Any more than that you could get a fine for out of adjustment. You also use alot less air per application and better brake response. jm2c
Old 01-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #8

Slickest1: Good Morning to you. Thanks for your reply. I spent 18 years running the west coast, and I was based in California, and traveled to Washington. I stick by the way I adjusted the brakes. The important part was the the slack adjuster traveled out about 3/4" of inch. At full tight, I back off the brake to get a "CLEAR RING" of the drum, which is roughly 3/4" turn back out. Any less the barke expandes with heat. Proper adjustment means the "S" cam should travel approx. half way up the cam at MAX Pressure. Without a Jake, I only needed 5 PSI of pressure comiing off a 6% grade. I never failed a California DOT inspection for brakes. Nor was I ever "RED TAGGED". Minor warning about log books {only a 25 dollar fine back then for not having a log book} or clearence lights. I like manual adjusters as I can inspect other things while I am under there, which this time I found some wires that had been run under the coach flopping around that I will take care of. And I will only check about twice a year unless a lot of mileage is put on.
Happy motoring to you!!! Oh yes, after coming off the road, I spent 20 years in the shop!! I also Trucked into Alberta Canada, mostly to Calgary & Edmondton Nice country and exellent people. I made several friends up there.
Ron