Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Slide Adjustment

My coach has one large slide with the couch and kitchen in it. After 21 years it looks like it needs some minor adjustment. When its retracted, the seals are compressed at the bottom more than they are at the top. In other words, the bottom of the slide hits the side of the coach before the top does. Also, the seal on the front is compressed much tighter than the seal at the rear of the slide. The paint lines line up in the front, but are slightly out of line in the back, I'd say no more than 1/4" low.

To summarize, the slide appears to tilt out slightly at the top, the front of the slide retracts more than the rear and the rear is slightly lower than the front.

The slide is generally in good shape. Here are a couple pictures of the bottom.

I'm thinking there must be some type of procedure, or order, in which these adjustments should be made? My thought is the slide should be square to the coach before I adjust the rollers under the counter and couch for height or the limits of in and out travel?

I found a thread where Walt2131 explained how to shim the hydraulic ram to adjust it so the top and bottom of the slide contact the side of the coach at the same time, but I want to make sure I fully understand the procedure. I'm thinking I need to shim behind the top bolt to make the top of the slide align with the bottom? The steps appear to be to support the slide with blocking of some type. I think I might need to actually lift the slide on the outside so I can take the load off of that bolt so I can shim behind it. Then its trial and error until I get it aligned properly?

Adjusting the rollers seems straight forward, disengage the locking tabs, back off the hut until the roller is free, then tighten the nut until the roller firmly engages the floor. I'm thinking I then check the alignment on the outside of the coach to make sure the front and back of the slide are aligned properly?

Do these two bolts adjust the in and out limit of travel?

This looks like its the "in" limit adjustment.

Is this the out extension adjustment?

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has adjusted their slides.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2021, 11:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
After looking at this, I'm not sure I understand how shimming the end of the hydraulic cylinder does anything.

This square tubing runs inside a square cylinder made of 1/4" thick steel tube that is lined with what looks like UMHW plastic, at least at the end. The tubing is welded to the flooring frame at the side of the coach. I don't see how you can adjust that with a shim at the other end. Isn't the picture above an adjustment for the in and out travel of the slide?
Old 05-31-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ii did some more measuring. With the slide fully extended;

The front is out 18 1/8" at the bottom and 17 3/4" at the top.

The rear is out 18 1/4" at the bottom and 17 7/8" at the top

All things being equal, the top should hit the side of the coach before the bottom does. Is is it possible the slide topper is keeping the top from closing fully before the bottom?
Old 05-31-2021, 03:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Your slide is like mine I am no expert on this but I would think the rollers would determine how much of a “tilt” the slide has if you move the rollers down the top of the slide would be out more and vise versa.

I think in this slide system most of the weight is on the rollers and the rams just do the in and out all other up and down is the rollers.

As far as in and out on the bottom I think your on track with the inner/outer most bolts.

I have a roller the the nylon cover has come off of 1/2 of it my next project it the replacement of that roller have not figured out how yet I believe I need to support the inner slide somehow to remove it.

My thought it is put something like a pipe on the outside between the coach and the slide and pull the slide in. The would cause the slide to tilt out taking the stress off the roller.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would like to see pics of yours closed so I can compare to mine when closed.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Also has your paint always been off could be was that way all along,.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
This is the gap between the slide and side of the coach in the lower front

Gap between the slide and side of the coach at the Top front

The distance between the cargo door hinge and slide in the front

The gap between the bottom of the slide and the cargo door hinge at the rear of the slide. Its hard to tell, but the gap is 1/4" narrower in the rear than the front.

The distance between the slide and side of coach in the rear at the bottom of the slide.

The distance between the slide and side of coach in the rear at the top of the slide.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here's the paint alignment;

The front is not off much. Slide on right, side of coach on left.

The rear is off a little, but it also looks like the stripes wouldn't line up anyway. The top is off slightly, but the bottom is off a lot. The slide is on the left, the side of the coach on the right.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ok the paint looks like a oops at the factory but I think with the slide out it will line up. They paint to match with the slide out, bet the bottom meets up as it wraps around the side of the slide.

Have you or someone else replaced the flooring , my guess is the rollers are to high when the slide is in.

Is your slide a flush floor? I bet it is and as the slide comes in it lifts the front of the slide up over the floor of the coach. This would cause the top of the slide to tilt out also saying the rollers on the inside of the slide are adjusted too high or the flooring was raised from the original.

Mine tips in because my floor is lower than it used to be and I have a roller with the nylon off.

Put the slide 1/2 way in and measure your top and bottom it will probably be off as soon as the floor lifts to clear the coach floor.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My owners manual said I was to have some spring loaded clamps to clamp the top of the slide when all the way in.

I did not get them form the original owner and I use a slide lock that goes in and twists to expand and clamp the top in.

My slide is not a flush but I put it in for safety.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Once again I have not done this myself but it makes sense just using my thought process like you did with the stop bolts.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:55 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mine is not a flush floor and the carpet and tile are original. I think I have a powergear slide, but I'm not 100 percent sure. I think that's what was on the hydraulic motor when I had my generator ram repaired and replaced the hoses. There was a label on top of the motor and it said HWH or Powergear. Unfortunately, the coach is sitting on the driveway and the suspension is dumped and I can't get under to look at the label. We've got a lot of rain this week so I don't want to put the slide out and get the topper wet and have to leave it until the rain stops long enough to dry.

I did find this and it looks exactly like my coach. I have those jack bolts under the slide rail exactly like that. You can see it on the front rail in this picture.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have those clamps, but have never used them.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #14

Have you had any problems with the slide? If you went and looked at new units you would see slides more out of alignment then yours . I would move the MH to different spot put the slide out and back in and see how much it changes. With slides it's if its not broken don't fix it for me . Just the normal maintenance
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide