Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Slide Braces When you Travel ?

Does anyone install the slide braces when they travel? I have used them a couple of times, but I am afraid I might forget to remove them before I put the slides out. If you forget to remove the braces, it would rip the border race off . My slides only rattle a bit on very rough roads so I don't use them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slide braces

We have 3 slides, the kitchen has electric locks that we set. The bed slide with the weight of the bed takes care of itself. The main slide with the couch and dinette we use braces. We have read on some post of this slide moving out, so we brace. After forgetting to move drivers chair a few times we now have it down. Remove braces, move driver seat foward check on both sides of main slide.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have heard that you only need slide locks if you have hydraulic slides. I have electric and have never used the locks, and have never had a slide move.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Most people put a red ribbon on each "brace".
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyonman View Post
I have heard that you only need slide locks if you have hydraulic slides. I have electric and have never used the locks, and have never had a slide move.
We do have hydraulic system to all 3 slides. One electric motor powers all three and the jacks. So i will keep locking incase you are correct.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Previous owner said he never used them, so I have not either. I'm sure someday I will find out I should have been using them.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Previous owner said he never used them, so I have not either. I'm sure someday I will find out I should have been using them.
This is our case. We have the locks when the time is right.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
I always use the braces. I put a piece of Velcro on each brace and above the switch for each slide. I put a matching piece of Velcro on a red ribbon. The ribbon is on the brace when it is not installed, and when it is installed, the ribbon is on the switch so that it falls across the switch. Seeing the ribbon on the switch reminds me to remove the brace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1256.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	7586  

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We got our latest coach in June and it came with braces for the front two slides. So far I have not used them but, the DW says she can hear the slide behind her moving so I may give the braces a try.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My wife is a knitter. We have two 12 inch pom pom balls on the braces. In my humble opinion, you need some manual (read..... idiot proof) reminder. We are also both pilots.... the plane is littered with manual reminders of what to do or what NOT to do. VERY CHEAP INSURANCE
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have one brace on the front of the large slide which is right behind the driver's seat. If I don't use the lock, I can hear the slide rattle a little on rough roads. I have a large red dot on the slide button that operates the slide with the lock.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was lucky to install the brace and it kept the top in as the bottom moved out due to hydr leak. Unless you have a addition lock, your slide is held by hydr pressure, or the motor/gear reduction system on cable/rack and pinion designs.

The safety lock can be the simple brace or a deadbolt that is electically engaged when you close the slide.

Search (Lippert hydr slide creeping out on I-75) for a Yankee fix (pic)to get you home and a simple manual dead bolt on the Hydraulic type.

I always use the brace and have a tag by the switch to:
Remove brace, dead bolt, move seat forward, check for trees.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I have one brace/jam I bought ...and have two slides. I rarely put the brace in while traveling. My hydraulic/electric pump slides never "rattle." Putting a red ribbon on the brace would not help as it would not be visible ...I put a red ribbon on the slide extend switch in the rare event that I do use the brace. I have had each slide creep outward a bit a time or two while traveling when a solenoid was failing or there was air in the system.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I use my slide locks when I'm travelling any distance. Like Diplomat Don said I can hear them rattle if the road is rough and the locks seem to stop the rattle. I haven't put any sort of warning on my slide switches to remind me the locks are in place but I need to do that before I forget....errr....what was I talking about.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote