RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #1

Question Slide creeping open

2010 Monaco Diplomat 42 SKQ On the final leg of an 11K mile trip we noticed some vibration and noise from middle of the MH. Found the large slide on driver side open about an inch towards the rear. We were heading to Alliance for PM and while sitting in MH with only Gen. running for AC over a two hour period the slide came out again about an inch at the rear and about 1/2 inch towards the front. Tech chkd and called Lippert and said hydraulic rams were leaking internally. price quoted was $260.00 each plus labor. Now on order. Drove home to St Petersburg and the slide never moved. No visible leaking any where. I have repaired seals on a number of farm and construction equipment. Can these be repaired? Any thoughts much appreciated.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #2

Im sure they are repairable, sounds like the seals on the pistons are leaking, an internal leak like the tech said. but for that price sounds like it would be just as cost effective to replace rather than repair. Sounds like a repair I would do myself personally, but also sounds messy. Finding the correct piston seals might be fun, but im sure they would be availible, nothing else if you can yank the cylinders, sure there is a company that can rebuild them local to you.
Good luck,
Spence
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #3

We have a similar scenario. Our slide creeps out very slightly but not regularly.
What I do when I see it has moved out a little is to operate the control switch to extend the slide to its maximum and continue to hold the switch for a couple more seconds. You can hear the pump groaning. Then I do the same to retract the slide. Again out with the slide and hold switch.
Then retract the slide and release the switch as soon as the slide is in all the way without letting the pump load up.
On our coach it solves the creeping out for months.
YMMV. Iver.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #4

Good point, bleeding the system to remove air could make a difference, and also check the fluid level, if just a little low it could introduce air into the system at full extensions, when the resivoir is low. Remember air is compressable, fluid is not. could cause a creeping.
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
We have a similar scenario. Our slide creeps out very slightly but not regularly.
What I do when I see it has moved out a little is to operate the control switch to extend the slide to its maximum and continue to hold the switch for a couple more seconds. You can hear the pump groaning. Then I do the same to retract the slide. Again out with the slide and hold switch.
Then retract the slide and release the switch as soon as the slide is in all the way without letting the pump load up.
On our coach it solves the creeping out for months.
YMMV. Iver.
This same process worked on our previous coach, too.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same old story? Yes, check the fluid level with slide closed. purged the air by holding the button down in and out.

Check system with pressure guages to insure you know if the cylinder hold pressure.
If they don't check out my post- use search (Lippert Hydr slide creeping out on I-75) for the whole story and pics and added a manual backup lock. gg

Tags
slide