Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Slide Locking Bars

Any still use them. I never have, but after adjusting the slide I’m thinking about starting. My manual is pretty vague, it says to “Place the bar mechanism between the wall and top edge of the slide out room” it also says “The Lock’R has a built in spring to preset the tension.” Mine are too short and I need to screw out the end to make it fit. Is there a procedure for getting the right tension? The top of the slide on the inside doesn’t look very robust.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #2

I use the slide out locks that are built in on my 2008 Baystar. They are bolted in place and hinge in the middle during slide extension. They have to be manually locked and unlocked. Their purpose is to stabilize the top portion of the slide during travel. That adds structural support, better seal (think reduced wind noise, dust and rattling). They add safety in case of an accidental extension (broken gear etc.).
They are a pain in the butt to use and I am paranoid every time I extend the slides.
However, on balance, I think I am better off using them on the road and posting reminders to myself about releasing before slide extension.
I am not familiar with the locking bars that you have but it sounds like they serve the same purpose. There should be information on how to adjust spring tension. Maybe in your owners manual or on line.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I never have had any. My slides hold nice and tight when in.

Tim
Old 06-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They forgot to install the little wall reciever hole plates in 3 out of 4 of my slides, then gave me 4 locking bars, all the long size, which are too long for the narrow curbside slides !

No, don't use slide locks!
Old 06-07-2021, 08:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Any still use them. I never have, but after adjusting the slide I’m thinking about starting. My manual is pretty vague, it says to “Place the bar mechanism between the wall and top edge of the slide out room” it also says “The Lock’R has a built in spring to preset the tension.” Mine are too short and I need to screw out the end to make it fit. Is there a procedure for getting the right tension? The top of the slide on the inside doesn’t look very robust.
Dennis, I used the locks for the first 2 or 3 years we owned our coach, haven't used them since. I do still carry them.
You are correct the flange on the top of the slide is flimsy at best and it did flex when I installed the locks but it did not deform permanently. As for " correct tension" I adjusted mine till it "seemed right"... what ever that means.

On our 10,000 mile Alaskan trip with many many frost heaves and 150 miles of dirt roads no issues with the slide without the locks.
rvhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the input. I guess I’ll leave them off. I’m a little worriededvabout one falling off and hitting me in the head anyway!
Old 06-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought two JUST in case there were needed. In case the slide wall motor or the gearing stripped and could not hold back any more. Cheap insurance.
pneumatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #8

Our previous MH had no bars—I was not sure what they were in our 07 Diplomat. I may use since I have a full wall slide.

Dwight
07 Monaco Diplomat ISL 400
GDGorsuch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide