RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
How many of you with coaches that don't have the automatic slide locks use the manual locks? I have used them when on a long trip and because I dont use them every time have forgotten and started to open with the locks still in place...not good. I haven't had any problems while not using them....think they are necessary?

nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
How many of you with coaches that don't have the automatic slide locks use the manual locks? I have used them when on a long trip and because I dont use them every time have forgotten and started to open with the locks still in place...not good. I haven't had any problems while not using them....think they are necessary?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've somehow misplaced every slide lock I've ever had. I'm sure some use them, but I've never met anyone who does. I can only imagine the aftermath from one if the slide went out with it in place.

I've always owned Monaco coaches and the ones with slides have never adjusted themselves while moving, ... at least for me anyway.

So, ... never used them, and probably never will. I always have a broomstick with me, and guess I could use it for an emergency.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I never use them. I have them under the Bed.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:56 AM   #5

this did happen to us about 3 yrs ago. we were coming onto I75 one of those almost complete circle deals turning right, our front slide did start to come out on its own, by the time we slowed and straightened out, the slide had come out approx. 8 inches. pretty scary! can you imagine your entire slide laying on the expressway on ramp? jim.
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Since my coach was new, I've complained to the dealer about the full wall hydraulic slide I have not making a good seal in one upper corner. I was told that "Monaco advises" using the slide lock on that slide. I complained that it shouldn't be necessary and asked them to adjust it so I would not have to use the lock. They did adjust it and it does seal a little tighter, but still insisted that the nature of that slide is such that it needs the lock.

So I tried it, and the very next time, I tried to put the slide out with the lock still in place. That was the last time I will try using slide locks. Like UPS, I carry two of them under the bed "for an emergency". I believe Monaco will always advise useing them because of liability concerns, but I don't know of anyone who does either.

I've never heard of "automatic slide locks". How do they work?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I also never use them. I have mine under the Bed as well. My dealer told me that the newer slides don't really need them.

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Robin..I'm not sure how the automatic locks work but I believe that the Dynasty on up have them. You can see the mechanism on the bottom outer edge of the slide.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, I use them on both my slides. I understand your concern about forgetting that they are there when you open the slide.

To resolve that problem, I placed a small piece of Velcro on each lock, and at each slide switch. I cut a small length of red ribbon and glued the opposite Velcro to it.

When the locks are on, the red ribbon is hanging over the switch. When the lock is removed, I remove the ribbon from the switch and stick it to the Velcro on the lock. Works for me.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #10

rex, thats a simple,great idea. thanks! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Our Camelot came with just one lock for the forward driver's side slide. I've never used the lock and don't keep it in the RV. We've had no issues so far not using it, but we're still just under 10,000 miles.
CC
Old 03-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The rear bed slideout on our PDQ Dip broke a few weeks ago. Several calls to Monaco tech support ensued with as many different opinions on what was broken and how to begin to fix it. One Monaco support person suggested that as the slideout motor drive was turning on command, perhaps the mechanism was simply jammed and that a quick spin with a strong bump might "free" it up.

In retrospect I should have had my head examined for even considering it, but as this was my first experience with a broken slideout, I tried it. No joy on "freeing" the slideout, but on the way back home I did happen to glance in the driver's rearview just after rounding a right hand turn. It took me a few seconds to figure out what I was staring at. The rear bed slideout on the road side had fully extended into the opposing lane.

I freaked and said a few choice phrases while very quickly pulling onto the shoulder and turning on the emergency flashers. This maneuver scared the wits out of my wife who saw nothing wrong and must have thought I had lost my mind. Fortunately, I swerved back to the left as I pulled over and the slideout came whoosing most of the way back in just as traffic coming the other way passed by.

Unlike the front slideouts, there are no slide lock "sockets" for the rear slideouts on my coach. One of the slide locks from the front and a standard rubber doorstop wedge provided a quick solution that stayed in place, did not damage anything, and prevented a repeat performance. I have since repaired the problem by replacing what amounts to a drift pin in the motor drive mechanism.

We have two 11 year olds that ride buckled into opposing sofas in the front. It will probably be a while before I am comfortable not using the slide locks.

At some point I will be calling Monaco and trying to determine if the front slideouts are any more/less likely to fail in a simlar fashion. While I am sure that there are dedicated and capable individuals in the Monaco tech support team who could answer that question, I would love to hear some opinions on this from other Monaco Coach owners.
Daveo0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #13

Like Rex, we use ours all the time. We're not worried about the slide moving, but the darn things chatter over the expansion joints on the LA and OC freeway systems. Haven't forgot to remove them yet and they sure makes the trip a whole lot quieter while in place.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Daveo0o, Monaco uses two type slide out mechanism on the bedroom slides that I am aware, and perhaps some I don't know about. In any event, if your slide has a motor under the slide that drives a rod which engages a gear that engages a rack track, then the motor has a Lock built in. This can be identified by looking at the motor end opposite the gear and you will see a lever. Move the lever one way and it unlocks the motor and allows the slide to be moved manually. Move the lever the other way and it lock the motor to keep the slide from moving. Works fine unless the internal lock brakes. It is made of some sort of hard ceramic or fiber material with a square hole in the center. The motor shaft has a square extension that fits into this hole. I had the lock brake and Monaco wanted $670 for a new motor/lock plus installation. I took it apart and found online a source for the lock for $130. Just the same, I still use the slide locks inside before I move. Rather have the added assurance the slide is locked than depending on the motor/lock.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote