Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2020, 05:53 AM   #1

Slide locks

On my 2003 front slides I have slide locks that are a pain as sometimes they don't retract as they should and tear the seal. I am wondering if they are even needed. The whole unit is attached by sliding down over a few raised button heads.
2pilgrims is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I probably have the same slide locks. They were manufactured by Dewald but I believe Lippert now has parts for them.

As to whether they are needed I can't say for sure but they are a safety device so I would be hesitant to remove or alter.

One thing you should do is make sure the are thoroughly lubricated. There are different ways of doing this, here is a post with several other links to threads regarding the lock including repair and maintenance.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sli...lp-416803.html
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #3

Slide locks

I would say if they are not retracting they either need to be lubed, the internal springs are broken, or the cable is off the rollers or broken.
If your slide is like mine, a flat floor design that raises as it retracts, the slide locks assure that the upper portion of the slide fits snugly against the body. They don’t actually lock the slide since any outward motion of the slide would cause them to retract under the spring tension. One of our cables broke and we had a real problem with the upper slide fitting correctly.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my slide out locks about 18 months ago. However, after all the time and money, I'm not sure they are absolutely necessary.
Monaco only installed locks on the drivers side front slide. None of the other slide outs have locks.
Our slide locks were broken when we purchased the coach a few years ago. Camping Worlds solution for jammed slide locks was to cut the stainless steel plates across the bottom. The locks had been neglected since new and the inside cables and springs were completely rusted out.
I drove the coach 2500 miles with the locks not working and had no issues.

I purchased new slide locks from Sue at Veurinks RV parts. More information on replacing slide out locks:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/slid...lp-416803.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:32 AM   #5

After crossing the country now in Maine and noticing the park brake blinking as I ran across the bumpy nasty roads along the way, My slides are giving me a problem.
I was able to get the bedroom slide out and after playing with the leveling system a couple times I was able to get the drivers side slide out but when I tried to passenger slide it started and only went a couple inches then stopped. I am wondering id it has something to do with the Park brake. I can't get the light on the dash to go out now but the brake does release. I know it has to be on for the slide to go out but wondering if the fact it won't go out could mean there is an issue. Although the slide did start to move as if there was a short but this happened all at once with both slides. Have read that the bay doors could be a problem and will check to see that the electronics are working with them.
All has worked fine till now. The condition of the roads across this country is enough to make one reconsider traveling them.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Check the wire spad connectors on the bottom of the park brake, they can come loose. Also make sure it's not leaking. It is a Nason, here is a thread on it, look at post #5, it explains how it works.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/par...rm-374632.html

Each door has an inhibitor plunger type switch located up high. If the door is not closed enough the inhibitor switch stays open and it prevents the slides from working. I have this problem and have to go and open then slam the door shut.

Not sure how the safeties on your coach is wired. On my coach the engine can't be running because there is a disable relay on the control board. Not sure if yours is the same way.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:28 AM   #7

Wow that was quite an article. I checked the bay door sensors and found the previous owner had removed the wires from all the switches so that is out as a possibility.
So I am still wondering if in fact the Park brake light coming on while driving and now staying on while parked with the brake off could that be why the slides are not working? Has anyone had that experience where they replaced the low pressure switch and the slides worked again?
That would be an easy fix just running to Napa for a replacement. Mine has 2 wires with spades.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:11 AM   #8

So the problem now solved was that I have air and hydraulic leveling.
The air is HWH the hydraulic is some other company now out of business.
If I level from the air I cannot activate the slide outs nor the gene slide out. But If I level with the hydraulics I can get the slide outs including the gene slide to work. But I must let the hydraulics level to a pre programed setting/calibration
even though it is not real level but after I get the slides out then I can re-level to where it should be. Absolutely crazy and mind boggling, chasing around for other things and just happened on this.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #9

Good morning 2pilgrims; Glad you got this situation solved. I did not chime in on your post as I had no information to help here as others did. I do have some info for you on your hydraulic jacks as you mentioned the other company is out of business! On an 03 Dynasty I am almost sure you have the RVA jack system. The company was out of Ca. and is out of business down there, but a new company has taken over handling those jacks. They are the RVA company here in my home state of Washington. You can ask questions or order parts at. www.rvajack.com. Their phone is 855-782-4068. This could give you piece of mind knowing there is help available for your hydraulic jack system.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:38 AM   #10

Thanks greatly for that info.

Tags
slide