Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Slide motor/gearbox Replacement

I finally was able to find a replacement Motor/gearbox for my slide. The gearbox mounting points had broken off. The right side of the shaft is easy. It's a keyed shaft and set screws. The left has some kind of jam nut which I don't want to destroy taking it off. Anyone know the secret to getting it off? are replacement jam nuts available? If so from where?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5501.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	133883   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5502.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	133884  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #2

The connector is called a Transtorque Bushing , and I didn't know the any manufacturer , but Newmar used them. So I've learned something today.
The threaded nut; right hand end ; must be backed off slightly, it will loosen then it starts to tighten up, then tap the housing; left side ; lightly with a brass hammer, then loosen the nut again till it tightens and re-tap .
The bushing has dual split cones, that force each other onto the shaft and out to the housing, and if you try to back off the nut to much while the cones are jammed together , you can break the internal retainers ( don't ask ) there are specific re-torque specs for installation , 3/4" or 1" shaft , I'll look them up.

EDIT: 3/4" shaft, 125 ft.lbs torque, 1" shaft , 145 ft.lbs

BTW, the gear box mount bracket on the left is factory , the one on the right was added after the left one failed , I've helped with a similar repair .
Old 10-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #3

I spoke with an engineer at the manufacture about how to remove and install the Transtorque bushing. He said that if the bushing was installed per specs ( 125 or 145 foot pounds ) you can apply up to 150 foot pounds of torque to remove it. Mine took about 130 foot pounds before it came loose. It makes a snapping noise when it breaks loose. Re-torque to only the recommended torque. If it was installed with more then the spec torque you can break the bushing removing it. He did say that some rv manufactures were know to over torque them when building coaches.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, slide, transtorque bushing