Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2020, 05:50 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Slide out, awning, generator start?

I'm having problems with my livingroom - kitchen slide out, power patio awning and generator start. I believe all of these items are operated by 12 volt which seems to be weak. Everywhere I check the voltage is 13+, and the EMS reads 13+. I haven't been able to check the voltage under operation since I'm working alone. I'm wondering if there is a common connection between these items which would cause me problems. I have wiring diagrams but I'm not too literate in reading them. Any help is appreciated, I'm tired of having to help the slide out in with a wrench. Oh, I've replaced the slide out motor yesterday thinking maybe that could be the problem but it wasn't. Thanks, Max.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2020, 06:25 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked your batteries? You can have voltage with no amperage. I.e. a 13v reading that drops to 9v the minute an amperage draw is put on it. I would check the water levels in the batteries and then load test each one. Also check for a bad ground cable.
Have you tried connecting the house and coach batteries together using the dash switch?

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Weak house batteries, you didn't say if on shore power or not.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I agree, check both house/chassis batteries and cables. Make sure you check the battery ground cable for corrosion on both ends.
Also try the slide out and awning with the generator running.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
YC1

If weak house batteries, try propping your emergency start button on or just use one large jumper cable between the banks of battery positives.

You need to be very careful with a jumper cable. Take voltage measurements to be sure you are looking at 12 volts on each bank before combining them that way.

In some cases to diagnose a problem alone you have to dig into the wiring right near the motor and run your wire to your meter and then run the motor.

Seeing what the voltage is while under load as mentioned is an absolute must without just guessing.

You can use that pair of wires to test the voltage at the batteries while you activate the slide switch.

Without a (gopher), you have to get creative.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, generator, slide, slide out