Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2021, 06:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Slide Out Drooping

The driver front slide out on my 07 HR Endeavor (36 PDQ) is sagging to the point where the rear gear rack for the mechanism is dragging on the body of the coach. It has actually "sawed" a notch in the body about 1/4" deep at the rear rail and just starting to cut in on the front rack/rail.

The whole framework is bolted up to the bottom of the floor with half inch bolts, which I tightened, to no avail.

None of the rollers on the mechanism appear worn.

This is a flat floor with UHMW "ramps" rather than rollers inside the coach.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like the 'ramps' need to be replaced.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you pull your carpet flap up on that slide, you'll see a full length white plastic glide.
At each end of the full length glide, you see what is called a 'raised block'.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/LIPPE...yABEgLqDPD_BwE

They wear out or break, and will drop the slide down, as you describe. They can be replaced from the inside of the coach, but you'll need to jack the slide up slightly.

One thing to remember when extending slide in and out, always do it when coach is at ride height, otherwise undo stress is put on coach and slide.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys. I'll give that a try.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Got the new ramps yesterday and it's not going to plan. The old ones don't just unbolt. They have two sheet metal screws (3 holes but only 2 screws) at the inner edge at the thickest part of the ramp. Then, there are two "rivets" toward the back that go into counter bored holes, so the head is flush with the surface of the ramp.

Of course you can't easily see these, buried in the back, so in the process of pulling on the first ramp to extract it, I broke the ramp in two pieces, side to side, right down the middle.

The rear half is still attached in the back with the rivets. I could probably use a sharp, high quality putty knife to drive under the rivets and cut them in half but short of pulling the entire slide out of the coach (NOT HAPPENING) I don't see any way to replace them when I install the new ramps.

Any suggestions????

As a side note, just like most things these days, the new ramps are not nearly the quality of the old one, big surprise there.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There's a YouTube video by AZ RV Expert where he attaches 2x6" boards vertically on the outside corners of the slide. I think on a Monaco you could screw them into the holes used by the slide locks.
He then places screw jacks under the boards and slowly jacks up the slide in place.
That should give you some room underneath to work.
Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
There's a YouTube video by AZ RV Expert where he attaches 2x6" boards vertically on the outside corners of the slide. I think on a Monaco you could screw them into the holes used by the slide locks.
He then places screw jacks under the boards and slowly jacks up the slide in place.
That should give you some room underneath to work.
Hope this helps.

Do you have the link?
Old 09-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
After measuring the removed ramp with a pair of dial calipers I have determined that this is not the issue. The old ramp is barely worn and is actually a few thou. thicker than the new ones.

I believe the problem may be worn rollers on the rack/rail assembly.

I need to use the motorhome next weekend for our last drag race of the season so I will just leave that one slide closed until we get back.

Removing the rack assembly doesn't appear to be a big job, IF it will clear the facia on the bottom of the slide. We'll see.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #9

I am having this exact issue 2006 Monaco Dip.
I changed the gear packs and it works smother but still drags on body work at about 3/4 extension.
It almost seems like it is getting too much angle on the second half of travel but comes back above the body work in the final few inches of extension.
bobzilla1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
bobzilla1881, that's exactly what mine does. When the slide is all the way out the rack is about 1/8" above the body work. On the way out though it drags hard and has milled a slot about 3/16" deep in the body.

How (or did) you remove the rack assembly in order to replace the inner roller?

I watched a You Tube video put up by Lippert and they show pulling the rack/rail assembly straight out after removing the slide out facia.

Removing the facia doesn't look like something for a DIYer and also doesn't look like it would allow the assembly to clear the bottom frame work of the slide anyway.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #11

I did not replace the inner roller but I did replace the gear pack . The gear pack rollers were not measurably worn as checked with dial caliper. I looked at the inner roller in the end but it does not appear worn either. Every thing moves smoothly and the height is adjusted properly. I don’t see any other ways to adjust the slides that would reduce the angle .
I even took all furniture out of the slide and it had no effect on the angle.

On mine I think if the slide was almost completely extended and blocked up at both ends, you could remove the gear pack, unbolt the end bracket at the facia, and drop the inner rail out the bottom

There are no RV repair shops in the area that i have not heard terrible things from people I know. I usually do all maintenance and repairs my self.
This has me stumped.
bobzilla1881 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out