Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
(Not about to tell the DW about this) (almost identical coach too) Wow
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #16

WOW

At any point with the saws-all and you putting a large whole in a perfectly good RV did you think this might not be something a sane person does?

Seriously jealous!!! You have some major DIY skills and a good amount of self confidence to take on that job.

As good as that looks, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this "ain't your first RODEO", and you've done a few restoration or modification projects before this.

Thank you for sharing!!
BirdDoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #17

Well John after talking to you on the phone and actually seeing all the pics you emailed me I must say, HOW bout moving to California?? There is a nice place right next to me that is about 1000 s.f. , pool and relaxation! Man I wished you were closer we would be cutting up a real nice rv soon!

I just don't have the (you know whats) to tell my wife I am going to cut a big hole in your rv! But with your help we might be able to convince her!! LOL, LOL, LOL

RUNDLC
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Very nice job. You should be very, very proud of yourself. I've often wondered about the possibilities of doing this. When you cut the big hole, do you have to add a header to hold the roof up? How much weight has been added? Where can we source the slide mechanism? How in the world did you figure out how to mount the slide system? Your hand must have been shaking a little as you prepared to make that first cut.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #19

Yea I see you have a slide on the opposite side. Are you concerned with the structural integrity of your rig? I would be interested in what changes you had to make to support the change.
Also did you just decide to take this on or have you worked for an RV manfacturer?
Old 02-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #20

Hello All! Thanks for all the great comments. My background is in electronics. Have been restoring & building street rods for as long as I can remember. Also built many drag car chassis, along with drag racing for 14 years.
Framed in the opening and reinforced the header. Before installing the header, all the wires were run above it so the monitor panel could set above the valance at the front of the coach.
The coach has traveled approximately 10,000 miles sense the mod with no problems at all.
Planning on adding another one in the near future in the bedroom area. That is when I get her honey do list done to the stick house.
TnTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #22

Awesome job!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
WOW......very impressive. I can't imagine the stress level before that first cut on that outside wall.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
That is a "WOW WOW". deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
(speechless)

RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I've seen some mods before. But WOW, that's a mod. I have a 2001 diplomat 38A which we really like and enjoy. But I want want a little more room. Another slide would cure that. I know what I have and the thought of buying another MH scares me. You have given me hope in keeping my unit. When you have a chance could you post more pics. Next winter would be a great time to do a project like that.
Very impressive
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #27

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What an awesome project!!! I think it's sooooo smart when you have a coach you like but that just needs "a little more room" to do this. Look at the $$$$ you've saved by not having to trade for one already equipped. Uber kudos to you, man.

Hey, how about doing a build thread on this process with a "step-by-step"? I know that's a lot of effort but that would be a great read and quite possibly could end up as a sticky for future DIYers. Regardless, hats off to you!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wow....great looking job. oks more rofessional than the professionals. Nice paint work too!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, slide