Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Angry Slide out Leaks- 2002 Diplomat 40 DST

I have owned this coach two years and continue to be plaqued by bedroom slide out leaks. With the slide IN the carpet gets soaked on both sides of the bed. I have checked the slide seals , screws, etc and caulked every possible place I can think of. Have not been able to determine where the water comes in. I have read many of the posts in this forum and applied all that be seem to hold out a solution.
Any advise or input will be greaqtly appreciated and many thanks in advance.
Paul
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
When it rains is that the only time it leaks?
You did not say if you had a rubber seal on the inside as well as on the out side of the slide and you didnot say if your slide had an awning on the top of the roof.
Some times a slide out does not have a squee-gee on top and if so it may not be working as well as it should.
Your seals should fit flush up agents the walls of the out side when it is in and flush with the inside wall when it is out.
You might want to take to an R.V. shop because you may need to have your rubber seals replaced.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Okay, so if the carpet is wet.... look under the slideout. Perhaps the protective layer has a crack. Water will seep and be drawn uowards. Set up a hose and supply a low volume spray with the slide out. Slide seals might not be the issue. Just an outside the box idea. :0)
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had slide leaks occassionally on our bedroom slide whether slide out and sitting or slide in moving or sitting. We took it to Brazels in Centrailia WA for new trailing arms, ride enhancement package and they did a "ride height adjustment" at the same time. No more leaks after the ride height adjustment. You have a long chassis and can be off by inches front to back and not noticable. The slide is realatively short comparitively and doesn't flex at the same rate as the coach. A slight gap may be there in either position letting in the moisture It was an expensive stop there but well worth it. Chasing leaks and the repairs related to leak damage later would certainly be more costly in the end. Just my $.02 worth. Hope ya can find the problem and get it fixed once and for all.
e8seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
rex

Monaco Owners Club
I have found two different leaks in mine. One was where the side wall joined the outside wall of the slide and about 10 inches below the top. Monaco had applied Eternabond tape there over the screws. One of the screws rubbed through the tape. It just looked like a black dot, but man did it let the water in. It was so bad for so long that the slide had to be removed and the bottom replaced.

Second leak was at the top corners when the slide was closed. Three is a rubber gasket around the slide on the back side of the outside wall. The installer had rounded the gasket over when applying it and it did not seal against the coach wall correctly. The hole in the coach is square so the rounded part of the gasket would not seal the square corner. Replaced the gasket and fixed that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top rear closed.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	29887  

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #6

We had the same problem on our 2002 Endeavor when it was new. After two tries by a dealer and rally tech, the bedroom slide still leaked whether in or out. We finally had it worked on at the factory in Elkhart. A tech there knew exactly what was wrong. He re-caulked the 45 degree joint at both bottom corners of the outside frame. He said the factory did a poor job of caulking this area. The water was leaking in the joint then running through the metal frame piece at the bottom to the inside. After the repair we have never had another leak. You could not tell the joint caulk was bad by visual inspection.
oldstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
RMS

Slide-out water leak

On my 2002 Admiral the bedroom slide leaked from day one. After many attempts by Monaco---it was traced to the plastic cups at the lower corners of the slide frame, not the slide itself. Fortunately it was easily caulked from the outside, with the slide extended.
You're probably better off chasing this water leak yourself---never found RV dealers much help on leaks. Too time consuming and the pressurization method was of no help.
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Thanks.....I can't figure out what/where the "cups" are that you refer to. Any further explanation would be appreciated.
Much obliged for your input
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Thanks, Rex for your input and taking the time for a photo. Got several replies with new areas to try....plan on doing them all.
Paul
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
YC1

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mona...eak-92204.html

For some reason the text is gone from the pictures. My 08 Endeavor leaked when new with the slides in just as you are experiencing. It was difficult to find. With the RV level it would not leak. While parked on the street it leans inward a bit and the carpet would get soaked. Water runs down the outside of the slide, then it went behind the flat cap piece shown in the second picture where the blue arrow of tape is. Sealing the top edges of all of those seemed to do the trick. The water was going behind the cap, then running along the bottom of the slide and into the rv. As an added measure I added a bead of caulk all along the bottom of the slides inward an inch or so. If water does try to run inside it will hit the bead and drop to the ground. However this massive storm we just had I found wet carpet in the same area. This time there was so much water it ran down the end of the slide, hit the little rain gutter and then ran towards the inside of the rv. We were not perfectly level. The water was not near as much but enough to be very concerned. I added a bead of silicon to that rain gutter end so any moisture has to drop down and cannot run towards the inside.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
RMS

There are plastic pieces in each bottom corner that Monaco referred to as "cups". They 're prone to cracking or warping which leaves an opening for water to enter. Simply put a generous amount of caulking into the corners---smear it around to cover the "cups" and edges of the cups, hopefully you will be dry for awhile.
BTW---silicone wouldn't be my first choice for this job.
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide