RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Slide-Out Lock Help

I am trying to replace the slide-out lock assemblies on our 2004 Monaco. These are the 64.25" long assemblies that are installed on each end of the drivers side front slide-out under a black plastic cover.
I found the original drawings from Lippert (attached). The lock mechanism was manufactured by Dewald Manufacturing Industries.

The previous owner had the slide-out lock on one end jam and he just stayed on the slide-out button until the entire slide-out jammed. A Savannah Camping World RV technician cut the stainless steel hooks on the bottom with a carbide cutoff wheel and also removed the stainless steel striker plates (see picture).

I found a kit with complete new assemblies at Veurinks RV (see picture). They are very proud of these parts but I was glad to find they were still available. Now i just don't want to screw up installing it.

My questions:
1. After I install the new assemblies, is there any adjustment necessary?
2. Should I lube them as I install them?
3. What size and kind of rivets (steel or alum) should I use to install the striker plates? Would it be better to use countersunk stainless screws and nuts on the inside?
4. The second attachment (slide lock breakdown) shows both interior and exterior striker plates. I see where one of the striker plates rivets to the outside wall, but do not know where the right angle striker plate bracket goes?
5. How does the mechanism release when you are putting the slide out?

I appreciate any advice you have on installing these?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide-out locks new.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	498.4 KB
ID:	223575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide lock 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	223576  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Slide Lock breakdown 2.pdf (59.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf Slide Lock breakdown.pdf (94.2 KB, 49 views)

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Check PM for loooong answer. More help if needed just ask.

Good news is you have the newer style mechanism, easier to repair. Bad news is someone took a Monaco to CW "tech".

Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/2003...ck-174047.html

Steve's repair with good pics.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/slid...ds-389240.html

Good maint will prevent this problem.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Do you guys know what dia and length rivets I need for the striker plates?
The holes in the fiberglass are approx .224" dia and .285" deep.
The predrilled holes in the new striker plates are .195".
And are they aluminum?
Thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I’m making some progress on replacing our slide out lock sets. My thanks to twomed and Steve for the help.

First I would like to explain how they work (now that I think I understand them).
The main living room slide out on the driver’s side has two complete slide-out lock sets with both inside and outside striker plates, one complete lock set on the front and one on the rear wall of the slide out. These are 64 ” long laser cut stainless steel assemblies with levers, cables, and pulleys sandwiched inside the stainless plates. Their purpose is to lock the big slide-out in the retracted position just in case you have a hydraulic failure.

As the slide out is retracted, a stainless steel lever strikes the outside striker plate. This pushes the lever out which in turn pulls on the cable running along the inside of the slide lock mechanism to the top and extends a stainless steel blade at the top of the slide out lock. As the slide out continues to retract it pushes on the lever more and more and thus extends the blade on the inside of the coach. The blade on the inside hits against the inside striker plate mounted in the two upper corners above the slide out.

The key here is to clean and lube this slide lock mechanism once or twice a year depending on conditions. If you live in an area with lots of rain, dirt, and leaves, they will plug up quickly. If you can pull the bottom lever by hand and extend the upper blade, your lock set is in good condition. Twomed recommends CRC Power lube. I even had to lube this new set to get it to work properly.

I removed both of my original slide out locks. One was still working and the other had the bottom lever cut, but if they had been properly lubed they would have worked.

This newer lock set is attached to the slide wall with twenty #8 stainless steel screws. Some of our screw holes were slightly over size, so I used #10 screws. (The older design slide lock hangs on a dowel and then screws down). Make sure you put a dab of silicone over each screw hole and a bead along the top before you attach the lock mechanism. This will help stop water intrusion. Some folks are also attaching a rubber wiper along the top to stop dirt and leaves from getting inside the lock mechanism.
Once the lock mechanism is attached to the wall you can install the black plastic cover. It is held on with plastic push in rivets.

The striker plates are riveted to the walls. Each striker plate uses three 3/16” dia pop rivets. I drilled the outside striker plate rivet holes all the way through the wall as there is a wood trim covering it on the interior. This allowed me to use ” long rivets. I also used alum rivets to act like a circuit breaker if something jams. I'll see how well this works out. My inside striker plates were like new, so I did not replace them.

The last pieces to go on are some black nylon rub strips that are screwed on under the slide lock lever to help guide it. The old rub strips were 1.5" wide, but the new ones are about 4" wide. Locate the strip under the lower stainless lever so it will be guided through the arc when the slide closes. These attach with three #8 self-tapping screws. Again, I put a dab of silicone on the wall where each screw goes through.

I hope this helps others understand the slide lock system. Originally, I had pictured cables going up inside the coach and all sorts of mechanical nightmares.

The first picture is with the lock system removed, and second picture is with a new lock set attached, but the black cover still off. You can also see the larger rectangular rub strip on the second picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front slide lock removed.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	568.4 KB
ID:	224059   Click image for larger version

Name:	New rear slide lock mounted.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	224060  

Old 10-28-2018, 05:20 AM   #6

Well done, once again! I took ours off about 7 or 8 years ago and thoroughly cleaned and then lubricated and re-installed them. It was a fair bite of work, mostly exploratory in nature, but it went well. The hardest part was finding the replacement push-in plastic rivets. I wound up getting them from Monaco, at the time, but I think they thought they were made of 24 karat gold, not plastic. Hopefully they are more readily available, today.

And sometime after the first of February, we need to do lunch, again. Cheers for now!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I finished installing the slide lock covers today. Those plastic rivets are a pain!
I tried putting the slide in to test everything and heard a pop on the rear of the slide. When I went out to check I found the cable broken where it attaches to the bottom lever. The cable is discolored and black in areas. It appears they may have applied too much heat when they brazed it to the lever.
This new rear lock was a lot stiffer than the front when I was working it with my hand. I could hear rubbing inside and I think the cable was already frayed.
The front set works perfect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cable broken from lever.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	224225  
Old 10-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Does someone have a source for the 3/16" black nylon rivets?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Nylon Blind Drive Rivet Product Components Corporation
used on slide 825 Arnold Dr, Bay #7
lock covers Martinez, CA 94553
800-336-0406 or 925-228-8930 Part # B14007BK - 187 x .380 - .156/.281 Grip Range
http://www.product-components.com/pd...nts/rivets.pdf

Short plastic rivets for slide lock covers

Fair warning... I copied this from someone's post when I was working on mine, I did not order them here though.

Certainly worth the call.

vito a really good welder can put that wire together again, look for a marine/boat guy.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a thread with more sources of the plastic rivets.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=61849
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you guys. I found them on McMaster-Carr.
Go to this page:
https://www.mcmaster.com/nylon-rivets
Then select rivets
About half way down the page, under Permanent Push in Blind Rivets,
select Expanding Shank, 0.158"-0.281" dia,
select black part number 90137A319
Price $13.13 for 50
Link:
90137A319
Old 12-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thought I should follow up on this project. I ordered another complete pair of slide locks as they are only sold in pairs. I now have two new lock assemblies installed and all is well.

[Moderator Edit]

The picture below is the lock on the inside just starting to close against the inside striker plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slide lock closing.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	227752  
Old 08-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have some slide out lock assemblies for sale in the classified section:
Monaco Slide-Out Lock Assemblies - RV & Motorhome Classifieds