Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #1

Slide out rollers on 1999 Monaco Diplomat

My slide out does not sit level in the opening. It is low in the front. This causes the seals to be tight at the top in front and loose in the rear. My question is where are the room rollers located and how to access them then adjust or replace then adjust them. It is a 1999 Monaco Diplomat 38A. It has a 15' slide in the left side that includes the stove, sink and kitchen counter and cabinets. Also a sofa at the front. The slide only opens about 18" but when out the seal on the front is not sealing because of the mis-alignment.
krhall3273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #2

A belated , Welcome to iRV2,
I have a friend with a 98 Diplomat , and helped him with a side motor repair, but didn't have to do any adjustments to the slide.
Did Monaco make their own drive system or use a Power Gear set up ?
I have a large pdf for adjustments on the Power Gear set up , if someone can say that your system is by power gear, then PM me your e mail address and I'll forward it to you.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
slide rollers

Your problem is definitely slide roller adjustment related. Pull up the false bottoms under the sink and remove the drawers on the end of the base cabinet. You will find the slide rollers there. They have a bolt which raises and lowers the slide. There is a lock nut on the bolt to hold the position once the roller is adjusted. You have described exactly what was wrong with mine, including where everything is located. By screwing the bolt down the top of the slide will move out toward the top of the wall and seal up. There is no roller under the couch. It just slides on the carpeted floor. The roller behind the drawers is probably fine but can be adjusted if needed. The roller under the sink carries most of the weight. I had to pry the front of the slide up with a plastic wedge to relieve some of the weight on the roller and then cranked it down all the way. The rollers are held in place by the small lag bolts. I pulled the rollers out and found nothing wrong with them. There is nothing that can be repaired anyway. You can't replace the adjusting bolt to get more thread. That bolt should have been at least 3/4" longer. If yours are bad replace. Hope this helps...Gary
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will add this about prying up on the bottom of the cabinet. It is only a kick panel and will not support the weight of the cabinet in any one spot. I used a 1/4 by 1' piece of steel and wedged under that. A crow bar would work if you have another pair of steady hands to help while you adjust the roller.

Welcome to the forum and the world of diehard Monaco fanatics...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

Thank you for the helpful insight on this subject. I am going to take a look at the rollers and adjuster and see if I can make any sense of how they are intended to work. If I can feel relatively safe that I'm not making my problem worse I'll try to do some inspecting and then adjusting. If not I'll take it to a respectable RV repair shop. I am only about 25 miles from Elkhart, Indiana so finding someone to fix it shouldn't be too hard?
Old 04-27-2015, 01:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IT is as simple as turning the bolt down, after loosening the lock nut. There is nothing to repair on the rollers. Any way, I tried....Good luck with it.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 AM   #7

Slide out roller adjustment

Well I took the plunge and adjusted the roller on my slide out. I found that there is only one roller and it is located in the bottom of the cabinet next to the sofa (in the middle). It is about one foot long and has an adjuster bolt located on each end. Each bolt has a lock tab which has to be bent down to work with the adjuster bolt. I lowered both adjusters until they were free. I actually removed the roller to verify that it would indeed roll freely and it did. I then started with the both bolts just snug. I then turned down the rear bolt one turn and locked it. I then turned down the front bolt one and one half turns. The extra on the front was because of the slightly lower front that was present. I then locked the front bolt and tried the room. It does move out and in much better. It fits the opening better also. I am going to dress up all of the seals and cross my fingers. Hopefully my slide out problems are solved. Thank you for your helpful advise. I hope that this post will help the next person with this question.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #8

rodman002

On my 99 Diplomat there are three slide rollers, one under the sink, one under the RH drawers AND one under the sofa, I can' figure out how to
adjust the sofa one as the bolts are not as the others they seam to be
installed from the bottom
rodman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:37 AM   #9

I only found the one roller on my slide? Adjusting it accomplished what I was trying to do. Set the slide more squarely in the opening. I have no ideas other then what was in my earlier post.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:33 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
For future reference, I'm pretty sure you have three rollers as did my 99 Windsor. The front roller should be accessible from front wheel well. It is mounted from the bottom. There is a rectangular plastic cover.
The rear roller is accessible by removing the drawers at rear of slideout, similar to the middle one you have already found.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall3273 View Post
I only found the one roller on my slide? Adjusting it accomplished what I was trying to do. Set the slide more squarely in the opening. I have no ideas other then what was in my earlier post.
I know that the 99 Diplomat has 2 slide rollers under the kitchen cabinets and one under the couch and the only to get to the one under the couch is outside under the left front wheel, extend the slide 1/3 out back off on the adjusting nut ( I removed cleanedand oiled my rollers) tighten the nut down until it touches plus 1/4 turn put a dab of loctite on adjust nut tighten and lock lock tad, I think if you get the two under the kitchen cabinets you will no ok or at least I was.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto to DtBt

My 99 Windsor is exactly as he described. If the front of your slide is low then I would think you could adjust the roller above the driver side front tire. It is covered by a plastic rectangular box. Remove the six or eight screw for the cover to expose the roller. I had the shorten the height of this box when I switched to larger 295/75 tires. Low in the front would be corrected by adjusting this roller but the others may need to be tuned as well. Also make sure you are doing this at ride height and not with the air dumped.......
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #13

Thanks DtBt for the info on the front slide,I did have to replace both rear rollers as
the rubber coating had crumbled off, anyone know if the front roller is rubber coated
or plain steel, Thanks all

Leo Ostiguy
99 Diplomat
rodman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #14

Smile Rollers

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall3273 View Post
My slide out does not sit level in the opening. It is low in the front. This causes the seals to be tight at the top in front and loose in the rear. My question is where are the room rollers located and how to access them then adjust or replace then adjust them. It is a 1999 Monaco Diplomat 38A. It has a 15' slide in the left side that includes the stove, sink and kitchen counter and cabinets. Also a sofa at the front. The slide only opens about 18" but when out the seal on the front is not sealing because of the mis-alignment.
Ive noticed my rollers on my 99 diplomat have disintegrated and all the orange coatings is almost gone off the rollers so hence its now clunking hard on in and out use. Does anyone have a place where i can buy new rollers at..? I'd sure appreciate the help.
Thank you, Tom
TGunn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, slide, slide out